android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 10-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Default IEM Recommendation Please. Open to change to overheads however

Budget: Under 40 (I know its not much at all, but I will be upgrading in less than a year)
Category: IEMs Unless someone persuades otherwise
Primary location of use: Generally outdoor whilst walking
Genre of music / preferable SQ : Reggae, Dancehall, Dubstep, House, D&B, Hip Hop & Rnb. I really do like my bass (the lower freq the better) but would sacrifice a bit for clarity. Bright tops.
Source: Sony S739f ( Same as the S639 but with NC )

I've been researching on the E10, E30 (I'm liking the over ear fitting) , S4, Kicker EB101 which then progressed onto the kicker HP541 (over head). I do like kickers general speaker range.

Iv'e always used IEM's, generally Sony's. I like the ' In your body ' feel you get from them. Saying that, iv'e never tried any overheads apart from some Bose, House of marleys & beats =/ so with the right persuasion I'm open to change. I'm upgrading from the MDR-EX500.
I may want to be getting a portable amp in the near future too so possibly phones that can take the extra oomph.

I have tried to be as thorough as I can but feel free to ask questions. I genuinely appreciate any effort/advice given

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

E10 is great and you can wear them over the ear too. better than te s4, had them both at the same time for a while. if you are really considering the hp541 then you should look at these monoprice headphones. same set, people have opened them up to see. I love my Cortex 2500 set as well but they are admittedly a bit bulky. The sony XB500 is fantastic for the genres you described and stays in my laptop bag all the time. along with my Meelec a161p. any my velodyne vpulse. whatever, its a big bag, leave me alone.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the reply
Just did a read up on the monoprice ones but unfortunately I cant source them in the uk, not online anyway.
How bulky are the XB500s ? They seem like my most suited choice really but every review seems to be commenting alot on the size, could it really be that big ?
Would you say that they have a better value for money over then the E10s ?
Would love a pair of a161's only reaally ever heard good things about them, just a bit too high in price.
And haha thats a nice collection though, just look at it as the modern way of carrying the boombox .

Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

they are actually less bulky than the kicker. any folding headphones have to have a larger knuckle and often a wider headband. the cushions are kind of large but not terrible. any "over the ear" set is going to be kind of like that. if you want to slim it down go for an on ear set, but admittedly the xb500 cushions are larger than many. the xb300 is the first one that comes to mind for obvious reasons. there are plenty of others. the xb500 is way worth it for your genres though. they are pretty light and comfortable. I keep trying other sets and come back to them every time.

better value depends on your needs but for pure sound impact, maybe. these things have super bass and dont bleed all over the place.

a161 is a great set but doesn't have that visceral bass impact that I like for electronic/hip hop. I use them most of the time but sometimes i just have to pull out the bass machines.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:39 PM

After some intense research and helpful advise from yourself , I think I'm going to go ahead with the 500s..
The only issue is the blue is 10 ($16) more than the black, which I suppose can live with but then the XB700s are 10 more than the blue ! Stuck in a bit of a pickle now

Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

blue? I didnt know such a thing existed. I personally don't ever pay more for a color combo unless it was to avoid pink or purple. The 700 is $32 more than the 500? sounds about right. the sound signature is a bit different and the 700 is a bit bigger physically I think. the driver is a 50mm vs 40mm in the xb500. might want to stay with the 500 since bulk was a concern.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wait,...there's BLUE XB500's???

But I'll add that I owned the 700 and the bass was overpowering, then I tried the 500 an the sq was more even. I could here mids & highs much better. I'd recommend the XB500's myself. The bass is still there, just not ONLY bass.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Wait,...there's BLUE XB500's???
thats what I said. I looked them up on UK amazon. kind of cool but I like the black better.

Tags
e10 e30 hp541 eb101