android
Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Soundmagic PL50's

Anyone got these? How do they compare with the soundmagic E10's and E30's?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would say about 20-40 times better. get it? 30+20=50. given my experience with the e10 I would probably take a shot at them. Love the E10 even though I never listen to them anymore.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The E10's are my current IEM

Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

the only reason I benched my e10 is because I can carry around 2 for now. I use the a161 as my primary and the vPulse when I want a shot of stupid bass. the e10 is a great all around set.get the 50 and let us know

Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
get the 50 and let us know
^ lol this guy

Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 AM

I just threw the PL50 down the bin and am looking for another IEM.

The PL50 were good for the money, I exchanged them for a 15 Xears TD100 that I had (difference was from night to day but definitely not worth 30,40 or 50). Not good for metal or electronics music, particularly taking in account how records are mastered these days. They were very good for jazz, vocal, classic, etc, mostly because of how clear and detailed they sounded and the emphasis on the mids. They benefited from amping with a Fio E5 and a Cmoy BB but not that much, the advertised 54ohm dont make them that hungry and they can be used perfectly with a Sansa Clip+.

Had them for around 1.5 years until the right side stopped working, the cable had broken near the earpiece due to normal, everyday use. Opened them up, de-soldered the wire, cut it shorter and soldered again. They regained life but, maybe because of the heat during soldering (30 watt iron, quick soldering but no heat--sink), the right side sounded a bit muffled, lower in volume and without the same detail in the highs. I would have to balance the output of the Sansa about 10% to the right, in compensation.

Anyway, I decided to open them up again and make some measurements, couldt figure out any electro-mechanical explanation for the lack of performance and threw them away for a fresh start.

I would not dish out 40 for these IEM at this point. Yes, there is that "wow" factor from being a balanced armature and sounding they way they do, but the construction is rather poor/cheap. For this kind of money, you can buy much better full-sized headphones like the venerable HD202 or the Superlux when it comes to quality of sound.

The PL50 are cute and pretty good like those new Fiat 500 and Mini. However, if you want a solid city car, you put the bling-bling aside and go for a Honda Jazz/Fit. Your friends wont be as impressed, but you'll know you have made a better choice in the long run.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frandroid View Post
I just threw the PL50 down the bin and am looking for another IEM.

The PL50 were good for the money, I exchanged them for a 15 Xears TD100 that I had (difference was from night to day but definitely not worth 30,40 or 50). Not good for metal or electronics music, particularly taking in account how records are mastered these days. They were very good for jazz, vocal, classic, etc, mostly because of how clear and detailed they sounded and the emphasis on the mids. They benefited from amping with a Fio E5 and a Cmoy BB but not that much, the advertised 54ohm dont make them that hungry and they can be used perfectly with a Sansa Clip+.

Had them for around 1.5 years until the right side stopped working, the cable had broken near the earpiece due to normal, everyday use. Opened them up, de-soldered the wire, cut it shorter and soldered again. They regained life but, maybe because of the heat during soldering (30 watt iron, quick soldering but no heat--sink), the right side sounded a bit muffled, lower in volume and without the same detail in the highs. I would have to balance the output of the Sansa about 10% to the right, in compensation.

Anyway, I decided to open them up again and make some measurements, couldt figure out any electro-mechanical explanation for the lack of performance and threw them away for a fresh start.

I would not dish out 40 for these IEM at this point. Yes, there is that "wow" factor from being a balanced armature and sounding they way they do, but the construction is rather poor/cheap. For this kind of money, you can buy much better full-sized headphones like the venerable HD202 or the Superlux when it comes to quality of sound.

The PL50 are cute and pretty good like those new Fiat 500 and Mini. However, if you want a solid city car, you put the bling-bling aside and go for a Honda Jazz/Fit. Your friends wont be as impressed, but you'll know you have made a better choice in the long run.
Are there any IEMs that you would recommend over the PL50s for the aforementioned genres?

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM

I dunno, I'm on the market as well.