android
  #1  
Old 09-14-2012, 06:57 PM
globiboulga globiboulga is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 100
Thumbs up New Sony F series

I have the F806 on pre-order - should be shipped in a couple of days. I will endaevour to write a lenghtly review of the walkman when I receive it, intending to thoroughly test FLAC support and gapless claims. Coming from a Cowon background J3 (great little player) and D3 (well, underwhelming at best...); I am looking forward to try a new sound signature!
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:03 AM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

I'm looking forward to this, as I have been debating between this and the upcoming 5th generation iPod touch. Both are the same price for the 32GB unit, so it really comes to which is a more functional device.
__________________
Creative ZEN X-Fi2: Looking to retire.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 AM
globiboulga globiboulga is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverseStyle View Post
I'm looking forward to this, as I have been debating between this and the upcoming 5th generation iPod touch. Both are the same price for the 32GB unit, so it really comes to which is a more functional device.

Happy to have a quick look at multimedia functions, but I suspect these two players are radically different in term of scenario of use: Sony for music (much smaller screen, which would make movies and some applications difficult to use) and iPod Touch as a more generalist multimedia device...

The sony Z series seems more like a Touch competitor to be honest...
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

There's a short review on the F806 here. Again following in apples foot steps no expansion, this is unacceptable in today's market IMO.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

I have a 64gb Sony A Series, and I think the capacity is just right. I wish Sony would release 64gb capacity players here in North America,...we get treated like shit imo.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I have a 64gb Sony A Series, and I think the capacity is just right. I wish Sony would release 64gb capacity players here in North America,...we get treated like shit imo.
If they included an expansion slot, they wouldn't need to release it here and it's probably because the sales price is so high that their sales would be limited in the US.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
If they included an expansion slot, they wouldn't need to release it here and it's probably because the sales price is so high that their sales would be limited in the US.
If that is indeed their reasoning, then it is flawed.....because Apple sells a lot of 64GB Touches, and nobody would call them "affordable".
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
If that is indeed their reasoning, then it is flawed.....because Apple sells a lot of 64GB Touches, and nobody would call them "affordable".
As you know we don’t know for sure any of their madness, so I’m only guessing. I assume that apple has more fans here that would pay do pay ridiculous prices for their products as I assume the same holds true for sony (withing certain product lines) and the countries where they do release their 64GB. Regardless we are all entitled to our own opinions and I for one would not buy devices that have no expansion unless the deal is too good to be true. Which I doubt will be the case on this player.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 09-17-2012, 10:31 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

I know so many people that would kill for a 64gb Walkman. The ipods they own would be sold in a heartbeat,... Sony's logic is flawed & biased.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 09-17-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I know so many people that would kill for a 64gb Walkman. The ipods they own would be sold in a heartbeat ...
"So many" as you say might not be enough ... how do we know "what's enough" without data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Sony's logic is flawed & biased.
How do we know what their logic is without real data or even know what their logic is other than not to sell them here or for what reason/s. Again without real facts it's hard impossible to say a logic is flawed. Although I think it would be safe to say their reasoning isn't a bias as you say (they may not like Americans but I'm sure they'll take your monies all day long ).
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 09-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

It appears only Japan gets the goods. Go figure. I wonder if Walkmans are staple there.
__________________
Creative ZEN X-Fi2: Looking to retire.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverseStyle View Post
It appears only Japan gets the goods. Go figure. I wonder if Walkmans are staple there.
Sony = Japan. I would think they favor the homeland. If they had the option to change the language in their Japan destination players I'd have no problem with it.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 09-25-2012, 05:32 PM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,045
Default

B&H has the 32GB F806 listed for preorder, however it is $300!

This made me laugh-"The F Series Walkman behaves more like a tablet than an MP3 player". At $300, I should hope so. No card slot though. Why buy this instead of a Samsung Galaxy Player?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_Walkman.html
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
B&H has the 32GB F806 listed for preorder, however it is $300!

This made me laugh-"The F Series Walkman behaves more like a tablet than an MP3 player". At $300, I should hope so. No card slot though. Why buy this instead of a Samsung Galaxy Player?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_Walkman.html
It probably sounds better. The Sony A867 I had sounds much better than the SGP 5.0.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 AM
av399 av399 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It probably sounds better. The Sony A867 I had sounds much better than the SGP 5.0.
Old post, I know, but where did you get the 64 GB A series? I thought the A series looked great but I could never figure out where to buy it (I live in America by the way). My J3 recently died on me and I'm trying to find a decent sounding player. I just got a Samsung Galaxy player 4.0 but I can't fix the sound quality no matter what I try, so I'm sending it back. Looking at a Sony F series at the moment.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 AM
cn11's Avatar
cn11 cn11 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 59
Default

Yep, that's admittedly about the only reason left to buy a Sony DAP.... sound quality. That's the reason I went for the F-series.

Poweramp's tweakability is very nice on the player too though. Very nice to have some flexibility through Android apps, and Poweramp player.
__________________
Phones--> T50RP RP2 // TG!334 // MG6Pro // GR07 // IE8
Sources/Amps--> F806 // X1060 // Objective2 // AMB M^3 // Arrow 3G
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM
TheFaze's Avatar
TheFaze TheFaze is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 15
Default Japanese player

Is anybody up for the Japanese version? 64GB, NC, great color for the limited edition...

http://store.sony.jp/Special/Audio/W...del/index.html

I think I have found my next walkman (currently have a 32GB X).
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 09-29-2012, 03:11 AM
smoledman smoledman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Yet another high capacity player with no microSD slot, FAIL!
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 09-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Jeven Jeven is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Posts: 562
Default

I have a micro sd slot in my clip+ but it's the last player I'll buy that has one.

I see no point in splitting up my music collection and microsd is so 2009.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:23 AM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
...microsd is so 2009.
...and 2010, and 2011, and 2012...
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.