android
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default MP3 players are disappearing

It seems like every year the number of decent mp3 player models under $75 is shrinking. The tech companies want to sell you an expensive phone or tablet instead. Many people want a decent low priced music player though.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
It seems like every year the number of decent mp3 player models under $75 is shrinking. The tech companies want to sell you an expensive phone or tablet instead. Many people want a decent low priced music player though.
Many people don't, which is why they are disappearing.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Perhaps given enough time, some decent enough tablets will drop to under $75. When calculators first came out in the very early 70s, a basic 4 function one was $120+. Now some scientific ones are around $10.

Last edited by JK98; 09-05-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 AM

Not sure if it's mfg driven or from crummy focus groups but to many are interested in convergence devices & smartphones :/

Long live the Clip line and hopefully sandisk won't screw it up like the fuze+

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM

I have a Clip+ myself and a smartphone too.

But out of my friends very few have or want a separate music player like the Clip+, a shuffle or larger players like Sony, cowon, Samsung etc. they all just use their phones.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Almost all the people I know are going or have gone convergence device. The dedicated player is slowly being eliminated. Even the new devices that are coming out are basically mini-tablets. With the exception of the Sansa players the mp3 player is on it's death bed. Remember, SanDisk recently did a survey asking about an Android player,...bad news for the purists.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Almost all the people I know are going or have gone convergence device. The dedicated player is slowly being eliminated. Even the new devices that are coming out are basically mini-tablets. With the exception of the Sansa players the mp3 player is on it's death bed. Remember, SanDisk recently did a survey asking about an Android player,...bad news for the purists.
Does this mean there will be a San-Pad? 6c2ba386.gif

Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Does this mean there will be a San-Pad? Attachment 11880
Damn,...I never even realized the implications of that.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Uhh, plenty of cheap MP3 players around. I think its the EXPENSIVE and high end, high capacity MP3 players that are going the way of the dodo. Which makes sense, because most people need and or want a phone these days and why would you ever drop 100-200$ on an MP3 player when you could just drop it on a phone. In the US it makes less sense because of the way most people get phones over there but in the rest of the world- where you buy your phone and get a cheap contract that covers what you really need it makes a lot of sense.

Philips, Sony, SanDisk, Archos, Creative and a bunch of lesser known brands still all make cheap MP3 players. There's just little reason to really market them anymore because they are kind of an obvious thing if you need it, there's not enough to sell them to people that don't necessarily need them like with smartphones :P

My view on the subject: They need to start taking advantage of smartphones, things like smart watches that pull information out of the device, allow control over it and have other useful functionality that people are coming to want more and more of like sports features (Namely GPS and heart rate). With stuff like Bluetooth 4.0 becoming more and more common I think we'll be seeing a resurgence of the cheap small addon device, still a ways off though. Probably Apple will have to make the device for everyone to notice the potential though, except I don't see them innovating as much these days, and they might make a mess of it and doom the whole concept for everyone else :P

Old 09-18-2012, 06:25 PM

well we'll always have ipods lol but seriously once the ipod disappears then we know the market for mp3 players has disappeared. I'm going to hang on to my clip+ for as long as i can because what I have noticed is that the newer clip style cheap mp3 players are very poorly constructed and break super easy but my clip+ takes a lickin and keeps on ticking and hopefully it will for many more years

Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
well we'll always have ipods lol but seriously once the ipod disappears then we know the market for mp3 players has disappeared.
Actually the ipod disappearing would be great, it could open up the market for other manufacturers (Cowon, SanDisk, Iriver, Samsung, sony, creative, ...) to take the ball and run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I'm going to hang on to my clip+ for as long as i can because what I have noticed is that the newer clip style cheap mp3 players are very poorly constructed and break super easy but my clip+ takes a lickin and keeps on ticking ...
I don't believe the zip is poorer construction that the "+" although the color screen isn't that great and mine does have a metal clip. From my experience starting from the v1, v2, ... they have all been able to take a licking and keep on ticking

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Redneck Moderator

I've actually had a fairly high percentage of failures with the Clip's. But worse than the failures is them getting lost..

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I've actually had a fairly high percentage of failures with the Clip's. But worse than the failures is them getting lost..
There's been a few times I had one missing for a few days....the fact that most of mine have been black probably contributed to that a little....lol.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Redneck Moderator

Sadly though I've switched over to using my cellphone for most of my media uses. It will actually play videos where as my mp3 player its a wrestle(cowon S9). And I keep my phone on me all the time, forget my S9 sometimes.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My phone probably accounts for about 60% of my media use....some of that being Pandora streaming, which my Clip Zip and Classic can't do, of course.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 AM

Still going strong with my small collection of MP3 players (Zune/D2/nano). But that might just be because I don't have a smartphone (or a phone with a stander headphone connector for that matter lol). I've been considering using my next phone as a primary media player.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't think we'll ever see the true death of mp3 players, pmp's on the other hand...
The difference between a clip/ipod nano and a s9/j3 is that one is a DAP the other a PMP, and smartphones have really replaced the need for a pmp.
Where smartphones fall short is their size factor and expense, not practical for some work pursuits/exercise due to bulk or fear of breakage. This is where the DAP will find its final stand.

As Jack4l says, we need DAPS that also work as watches, something u can wear on yer wrist yet clip onto garments also. Acts as a secondary device for receiving txts from yer phone, remote control, p2t features etc.
It just needs done right, by multiple manufactures to give the consumer choices.
For DAPS to continue they need to focus on sq and compactness (like the clip and 6th gen nano).
I was astounded to not see a 'iwatch' at the latest apple releases, for me the nano6th gen>iwatch is a logical step forward, i can see jobs rolling in his grave!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 AM

Costco will likely have 8GB Sansa clips on sale for $40 bucks again this year as they have done in the past two years. If they do I'm going to grab a few for the long haul just in case and it next year they are still being made....X-mas gifts.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM

my phone, using it for only news feeds and some surfing barely make it through the day. I will always prefer a good separate player

Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinz View Post
my phone, using it for only news feeds and some surfing barely make it through the day. I will always prefer a good separate player
Same here. At least my rig always has some battery headroom left. My phone is always dead despite minimal use, across 4 different models.

Even if I had a tablet, I'd still want it's battery for doing tablety stuff and a separate dedicated player for the tunes.