android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up Nearly free (after rebate) substitute/addition for Clip clip (broken or otherwise)

As many here know, the clip on the various Clips sometimes can break (especially on the earlier Clip models). Also, some people just don't like the clips. And then, especially if replacement clips are not available for the original Clip or Clip+ (or if one doesn't like the clip), what is one to do?

Perhaps to the rescue, I just came across, at Fry's Electronics in the U.S., SnowLizard's Tec Tabs. Available 4 to a box, in black, orange, blue or pink, the tabs are small, low-profile plastic "buttons" of sorts to which is affixed a movable metal loop. The idea is, you affix the tab to an electronic device (the tab attaches using an auto-grade glue), and then you can attach the device to whatever your want via the metal loop--for example, you could attach a carabiner to the loop and then attach that to your pants loop. Although intended for permanent affixing, I also have read that the tabs can be removed. Each box of Tec Tabs includes some plastic carabiners of sorts, as well as a lanyard.

A pretty cool and useful idea, it seems to me. And given the smallness and lightness of the Clips, ideal for the clips.

Now, the icing on the cake: Tec Tabs seem to retail for US $10-15 (again, that's for 4 tabs, some plastic carabiners (of dubious use, as they're plastic?), and a lanyard). But now, through the end of the month, Fry's Electronics has them on sale for $10, with a $10 rebate. And so, in the end, you get the tabs for the price of sales tax, if applicable, as well as a stamp to mail in the rebate form. Ah, you say, but there's no Fry's store near me. Well, it now looks like Fry's has these on special shipping (this wasn't the case originally), for $1.99. And so, in the end, you pay the tax (if applicable--for people outside of the few states having Fry's stores, it won't be), $1.99 shipping, plus a stamp for the rebate. Quite a nice deal!

The applicable link:

http://www.frys.com/search?search_ty...23&submit.y=16

From what I can tell from the rebate form and store info., there is a limit of 2 Tec Tabs packages under the rebate offer. I picked 2 up. But it in fact may be, based on the rebate form, that the limit is 2 of each "item," each color constituting a different item (that seems to be the case, based on the rebate form). And so, in fact, you might be able to qualify for 2 of each of the 4 colors, with a full rebate on the purchase price.

At any rate, something to consider and maybe even purchase, for use with the Clips or just to have around, for the Clips or other products. Free, and useful, is good--

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Redneck Moderator

If you don't want them permanently attached to your DAP then you can put some 3M clear bra on the DAP, then the TekTab on the 3M clear bra. then remove the clear bra when you want to remove the TekTab

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And, some product pics and other info. A pic is worth a bunch of words . . . .

Manf. website info.: http://www.snowlizardproducts.com/tektabs.html
Youtube product demo.:

(edit: Wow, I had no idea that including a Youtube link embeds the video instead. Mods, if this is not appropriate here, please feel free to delete it. Personally, I have no affiliation to the Tek Tabs product, apart from having seen this deal and having purchased some.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tektab.jpg (59.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg tektab2.jpg (187.8 KB, 16 views)

Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Strangely enough of the 6 clips we’ve owned in our house not one ever had the clip break off. I did have one that was a little loose and occasionally the removable clip (v1&v2s) would pop off but no breaks. BTW I use the heck out of the clip, clipping it to almost everything

That said, if mine broke off, I’d grind down the back and smooth it off with some wet sandpaper …
Edit: BTW I like the Clip on the new Zip best, metal and a little edge.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just an update, that this deal still is good, now through July 30. And currently, with free shipping from frys.com, making this a no-brainer low-cost (sales tax and/or a stamp for the rebate form) opportunity, it seems to me . . . .

Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 PM

in for one. clip on the clip+ just got crushed.

just received them. i regret buying them. cheap and can only be used once, and at $10, i feel ripped off even if it is a rebate purchase.

-- update --

I epoxied an ACCO Klix to the back of my clip+. Works great. I just hope that it doesn't fatigue quickly. $4 for 10 at Staples. I have 9 left over. I also have 4 Tek Tabs in black I don't want. I'll sell either of them for $1 each including postage (US only). If you want one msg me.

ACCO KLIX Classic Metal Paper Fasteners, 30 Sheet Capacity

http://www.amazon.com/ACCO-Fasteners...ords=klix+clip

Last edited by zP0kE; 07-29-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

LOL--you feel ripped off getting the Tek Tabs for free?

Personally, I don't find them cheap at all--to the contrary, a high quality plastic tab and firm, movable metal loop for a lanyard, carabiner or the like. And they're made to be permanently affixed (like your ACCO fastener setup?), although I've read that they can be removed if need be. I do like your ACCO solution as well, though--great idea; it has the clip feature, while the Tek Tabs have a loop for something else to attach to. Hopefully, the ACCO will last over time.

Note: today is the last day for the Tek Tab free-after-rebate deal (to order).

Old 08-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

And a further update, that this deal still is on, with the full product price rebate, for purchases currently through August 31! (Although, currently, there is a $1.99 shipping charge--shipping was free there for a long while (and who knows, could come back).)

(And, no, I'm not shilling for the company--really. I just find these tabs to be a useful tool, and, after all, free-after-rebate always is nice!)

Tags
snowlizard, tec tabs