android
Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 PM

Default Questions about the J3's battery

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their support. I'm new here and I have a lot of questions.

1.) The battery status indicator goes from 100% to 75% to 50%... Is this normal to go in 25% incraments?

2.) I listen to the radio a lot. Does the radio usage have a small effect on the battery, or does it suck up energy like a supercharged Range Rover sucks up gas?

3.) I understand that the higher the bitrate, the shorter the playback time. Can the users suggest a good compromise between audio quality and playback time?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod_209 View Post
1.) The battery status indicator goes from 100% to 75% to 50%... Is this normal to go in 25% increments?
Yes... that's just how it works. It will even go to 0% and will still be playing fine.

It's not terribly accurate. Very approximate.

Quote:
3.) I understand that the higher the bitrate, the shorter the playback time. Can the users suggest a good compromise between audio quality and playback time?
Anything which causes the use of more electricity/power will obviously drain the battery faster.

Keep the display on all the time? Uses more power. Keep the display brighter? Uses more power. Let the screen go dark after 3 minutes, so that just the music is playing? Uses less power.

Keep the volume louder? Uses more power. Use more CPU horsepower decoding higher bitrate or FLAC? Uses more power than lower-quality music files.

There is no such thing as "a good compromise" when it comes to audio quality vs. battery lifetime. I guarantee you will get at least one full day worth of playback time on a full battery charge. If you keep your J3 in use all day long, then just charge it up at night and it's ready to go for tomorrow.

You probably bought the J3 for its sound quality, and the fact that it was not an iPod and thus was Windows-friendly. Don't worry about the battery charge lasting forever, because it won't. But it WILL last an entire day even if you use it constantly. If you use it less than a few hours a day it could last weeks without a charge.

Just use the J3 for what you bought it for, to produce fantastic sounding music... and be proud if you have FLAC. Be glad it can support a 64GB external card -> 32GB+64GB=96GB J3. Don't be stingy on bitrate of audio file quality, just charge it up when you need to depending on your usage. Get the most out of your J3.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Administrator

I'd use my ears and equipment to determine what quality setting is transparent to you. That way you won't need to rely on anyone else advice. You'll know that what you are using will give you the best setting for battery life and sound quality.

You just need to reliably determine the setting to use to produce perceptually encoded (lossy) files that are transparent to you. Then you won't be "making do" with files that sound somewhat like the original. You shouldn't be able to perceive a difference between a difference between the lossless source.

The linked page on transparency has some useful guidelines but I still encourage ABX testing. You may find that the guidelines produce files that are lower or higher quality settings than you need.

Since some either haven't done the testing or believe that bitrate is a reliable metric for sound quality they tell you to go for the highest setting and accept any losses in battery life or storage space. If you do your own testing you can determine if those losses are needed to have the sound quality you want and still have good battery life.