android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Cortex CHP-2500 Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
If you check the Amazon reviews, the Cortex is praised for its toughness compared to some well known DJ phones.
I mean no offense to the COrtex headphones, however, you need to take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt though.
For example....from one of the reviews posted there...
Quote:
i also have a pair on Grado sr60's, and these absolutely sound better in the overall test.
the Grado have better isolation and detail,
The idea of the Grados isolating better than any closed headphone (I own the Grados) is ludicrous.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Lol!!! I saw that review. The person really doesn't know what they're talking about. Still, when you try them (hopefully later today) I have a very good feeling you're gonna like what you hear.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Lol!!! I saw that review. The person really doesn't know what they're talking about. Still, when you try them (hopefully later today) I have a very good feeling you're gonna like what you hear.
I'm fully prepared to order a set if I like them.....hopefully they do come today!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I mean no offense to the COrtex headphones, however, you need to take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt though.
For example....from one of the reviews posted there...
The idea of the Grados isolating better than any closed headphone (I own the Grados) is ludicrous.
You have to take all reviews with a grain of salt! (Head-fi far more than Amazon..) But that one freak doesn't know what isolation means doesn't mean anything re the guy who found that his cortexes were tougher than his sonys. It's pretty easy to know how much of a hammering you've given a pair of phones.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
You have to take all reviews with a grain of salt! (Head-fi far more than Amazon..) But that one freak doesn't know what isolation means doesn't mean anything re the guy who found that his cortexes were tougher than his sonys. It's pretty easy to know how much of a hammering you've given a pair of phones.
Fair enough. My loaner set just got here, and they do indeed seem built very solidly. Let the listening commence!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Fair enough. My loaner set just got here, and they do indeed seem built very solidly. Let the listening commence!
Get your azz, and ears, busy!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Get your azz, and ears, busy!!!
Early impressions are very good!
A fun sound sig, definitely....not a "reference" can. A slight midrange bump and they're very enjoyable. Amazingly efficient too...the ReplayGained Clip Zip is still pumping them very well, and there seems to be no benefit to amping them.

I can't seem them as truly portable, given their size and the weight of the cord.....but definitely transportable. Seems like they'd hold up well to being in a backpack.

Time to try them with the Touch and the SGP.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No, not reference. These are the "fun cans",...I luv the sound. And yes, the mids are all there in their glory. The best part, for me, is the bass+clarity. That's hard to find, even in the more expensive cans. I sold my ATH-Pro700MK II's because they sounded muddy & veiled compared to the CHP-2500's,... To me that says quite a lot.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
No, not reference. These are the "fun cans",...I luv the sound. And yes, the mids are all there in their glory. The best part, for me, is the bass+clarity. That's hard to find, even in the more expensive cans. I sold my ATH-Pro700MK II's because they sounded muddy & vailed compared to the CHP-2500's,... To me that says quite a lot.
When I said
Quote:
A slight midrange bump and they're very enjoyable.
I actually meant I was giving them a slight bump with EQ. You're absolutely right about the bass and clarity.....I just found some of the mids slightly recessed in comparison. And when I say I gave them a slight bump, I'm talking 2db at 2khz, and 2db at 4khz.....not much of a bump.

Overall, these are about the best value/SQ I think I've heard. So what's the purpose of the pad stuffage?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Overall, these are about the best value/SQ I think I've heard. So what's the purpose of the pad stuffage?
The extra padding is to give my floppy ears extra space away from the drivers. It's for comfort, nothing more. The set I have here doesn't have the padding because I changed the ear pads,...feels quite good now.

And btw: stop "bumping" my "cans"!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just almost ruptured my eardrums.....I fired up the Sonicmax Pro app on the Touch, and I forgot I had the Mach3Bass set for my Grados!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The extra padding is to give my floppy ears extra space away from the drivers. It's for comfort, nothing more. The set I have here doesn't have the padding because I changed the ear pads,...feels quite good now.
Makes sense....they do look like they'd be shallow. Not an issue with my JVC's, thankfully.....their cups are deeper. Although in fairness they're a little smaller front-to-back.....more oval shaped than round.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
So what other pads fit?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Done. Left you as the OP Marv so you can change the title if you care.

TDS, you had the AKG 81 DJ IIRC. I like mine a lot for sound, not so much for comfort. Any SQ comparisons?
TBH I like the sq of the CHP-2500 a bit better, as the clarity is more noticeable. But, the the akg's have a warmer sound and are DEFINATELY more portable. They really do have different sound sigs,...so me comparing them is kinda moot me thinks.

Comfort wise the akg's are kinda bad though,...they fit slightly tight, and the headband isn't padded. They may not be bulky like the cortex cans, but they hurt my ears a bit. My 7 yo stole 'em,...smaller head & all. IDvsEGO was right to return them on that issue alone.
Quote:
So what other pads fit?
I THINK I used a set of shure srh-750dj pads,... And I still need to go to B&H in Manhattan,...I just hate going alone.

Now, Marv got my thread?!?!?! Ya' weasel,...

Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree with all the feedback here so far, including the earpad comfort stuffing.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, annnnnddddd,...??? We completely derailed the thread - so what's the verdict???

Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Ok, annnnnddddd,...??? We completely derailed the thread - so what's the verdict???
Quote:

Overall, these are about the best value/SQ I think I've heard.
The KSC75's for $6 a couple years back were pretty good, but had light bass and could be a bit shrill, as you recall. So at this point, Cortex is the budget champ, I think.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Probably best if I gather all these and create a new thread, the Cortex are no good for the OP. He can't order them.

Title suggestions?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Probably best if I gather all these and create a new thread, the Cortex are no good for the OP. He can't order them.

Title suggestions?
Cortex discussion thread?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

\o/ we have a #WINNER!!!