android
Old 11-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Default Soundmagic E30 Review

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/11/s...ic-e30-review/

Another winner.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Hmmm, this one might be more suited for me then the E10. I do got smaller ear size and I do care a little bit more about mids then lows, just cause of type of music I listen to. I do care a lot about stereo widening though. Since I still wait to get my E10 (a little over a week to go!), and since I paid them 1/3 less then I pain CX300 that I'm using right now, I can't wait to see the difference.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Nice review. I don't like Soundmagic's bling-bling plastic housings, but they certainly got their hands on nice dynamic drivers.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 11-07-2011, 03:16 PM

I guess a bit of acetone would easily get rid of the fake chrome stuff.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 AM

Nice review as always dfkt. Listening to my E10 atm (what else would one do at work ;-)) and am still amazed at their quality given the price.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:02 PM

Question

I bought some E30s from Micca Distributor via Amazon. I'm still evaluating their performance, but in the meantime I'm posting because I'm curious about the accessories. It looks as though the package contents are in flux, or vary by market, since mine are not the same as shown in either dfkt's or kilermachinegun's review.

My accessories include one size of bi-flange tips plus three sizes of the wider tip style kilermachine mentions, but none of the narrower (Sony Hybrid style) shape that both he and dfkt received.

But there also are two of these other things...

...which I am assuming are some kind of cable clip/locks, but I'm not at all sure how they're supposed to be used, since there are no instructions.

Here is how I using one of these pieces currently to keep the cable split snug behind my head.

(Sorry for the lousy smart phone photos, I was too lazy to get out a camera with a macro lens.
Also those are Sony Hybrid tips shown, not the SoundMAGIC supplied which are rounder with larger openings.)

It appears from the design that these things are actually intended to be used in a more complex way. For example, I'm guessing that the removable piece may be intended to fasten through a shirt buttonhole. Also since the two channels on the main piece are of different dimensions, it seems something more is intended for them then what I've been able to figure out so far.

So does anybody know how these things are supposed to be used? They're not just some overcomplicated part of the packaging are they?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:17 PM

Heh, very ingenious what you tried there. However, I'm pretty sure those discs are just to keep the earpieces locked to the plastic in the packaging (since that's how mine arrived in their display box).

My E30 have a regular cable cinch - it's a very small black slider. Yours don't have that?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Heh, very ingenious what you tried there. However, I'm pretty sure those discs are just to keep the earpieces locked to the plastic in the packaging (since that's how mine arrived in their display box).

My E30 have a regular cable cinch - it's a very small black slider. Yours don't have that?
Oh that tiny thing?! Thanks.

I guess I'm really over-thinking here. But then I don't believe mine were locked in the box like they're supposed to be. And they do seem like genuine overkill for cheap packaging. They could have spent that money on something more useful. Like an instruction sheet pointing out the slider.

Thanks again.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM

I've received mine based on recommendations here, and I'm pleased with the way they sound and operate. Pleased, not thrilled... but I would have to spend more for thrills

Thanks for the time to do an accurate review.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 AM

I have enough experience with my own E30s now to have some confidence in my assessment of them.

I've been listening primarily to the Panasonic RP HJE-900s for the last year. I got the E30s to have a nice backup that would also be more comfortable for longer listening.

In a nutshell, the E30s are nice for the money. But, just because dfkt has the E30s ranked immediately beneath the HJE-900s please don't assume they are anywhere as good. (Of course he hasn't said they are, just that of the phones he has evaluated they rank next in line.) In my amateur opinion, that gap in performance between the two is possibly large enough for at least two significant intermediate steps.

The E30 signature is warmer than the Panas and pleasant enough for all day listening. To my ears, relative to the HJE-900s, the low bass is comparable but upper bass and mids are more emphasized and the treble more recessed. It's a matter of preference, but to me the Panasonic signature is more natural and accurate. Also the E30s are noticeably less precise, responsive and clear relative to Panas. The E30s add their own (not unpleasant) resonances while the HJE-900s sound crystalline and pure in comparison.

In terms of comfort I found the E30s to be pretty much what I was looking for. They are light and unobtrusive and with the right tip they stay in place. However, the spherical tips included with mine did not provide a good seal. The included bi-flange tips did insert further and seal well but weren't that comfortable for long periods.

I have been happy using Sony Hybrid tips with the E30s, but this has been for passive listening around the house. For active use a longer tip or bi-flange might be necessary to maintain the seal.

With the Panasonics I use MEElectronics M11 bi-flanges. After trying several other tips, I found those to be the best compromise between maintaining seal and comfort, though comfort is still not a strong suit of the HJE-900s. Possibly the MEElectronics bi-flanges might also be a good choice with the E30s.

Anyway many thanks to Martin for his reviews of both these phones. My experience is that they are very much as he says.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 12-14-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: some rephrasing for readablity, corrected OE tip description

Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
I have enough experience with my own E30s now to have some confidence in my assessment of them.

I've been listening primarily to the Panasonic RP HJE-900s for the last year. I got the E30s to have a nice backup that would also be more comfortable for longer listening.

In a nutshell, the E30s are nice for the money. But, just because dfkt has the E30s ranked immediately beneath the HJE-900s please don't assume they are anywhere as good. (Of course he hasn't said they are, just that of the phones he has evaluated they rank next in line.) In my amateur opinion, that gap in performance between the two is possibly large enough for at least two significant intermediate steps.

The E30 signature is warmer than the Panas and pleasant enough for all day listening. To my ears, relative to the HJE-900s, the low bass is comparable but upper bass and mids are more emphasized and the treble more recessed. It's a matter of preference, but to me the Panasonic signature is more natural and accurate. Also the E30s are noticeably less precise, responsive and clear relative to Panas. The E30s add their own (not unpleasant) resonances while the HJE-900s sound crystalline and pure in comparison.

In terms of comfort I found the E30s to be pretty much what I was looking for. They are light and unobtrusive and with the right tip they stay in place. However, the spherical tips included with mine did not provide a good seal. The included bi-flange tips did insert further and seal well but weren't that comfortable for long periods.

I have been happy using Sony Hybrid tips with the E30s, but this has been for passive listening around the house. For active use a longer tip or bi-flange might be necessary to maintain the seal.

With the Panasonics I use MEElectronics M11 bi-flanges. After trying several other tips, I found those to be the best compromise between maintaining seal and comfort, though comfort is still not a strong suit of the HJE-900s. Possibly the MEElectronics bi-flanges might also be a good choice with the E30s.

Anyway many thanks to Martin for his reviews of both these phones. My experience is that they are very much as he says.
As an E10 user (over a year) I look forward to hearing the Panas, will let you know what I think in due course