android
Old 10-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Redneck Moderator

Default DigiZoid ZO 2

Was looking around for the DigiZoid ZO amp and couldn't find anywhere to purchase it. After sending an e-mail to DigiZoid about where I could purchase it they replied that it was no longer in production.

This is the useful information in the e-mail from their customer service.

ZO 2 has several added features and improvements over the original ZO, and is
scheduled to launch this month. I have placed you on our waiting list
for ZO 2, and I will email you in the next couple of days with price
(under $100.00), release date, and features. At that time we will
offer a pre-order option.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Last edited by Syndrome; 10-17-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM

So are you getting the 2?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Redneck Moderator

I'm not sure if I will be getting one, have to see what DFKT says about his.

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM

Very interesting! I have been wanting one of these myself but I have been waiting for the sequel to see if it included this Fullspec Smartvector thing. I own the TMA-1s myself so I took notice of what dfkt wrote in his original review for the first digizoid zo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
Such a Fullspec implementation of Smartvector would probably have to be tweaked like current generation BBE Sonic Maximizer sound enhancement hardware, with two separate dials for bass and treble enhancements (labeled “Lo Contour” and “Process” on BBE’s 19” rack units). At least that’s what I would wish for, being able to tweak bass and treble separately – catering to phones with recessed treble and forward bass, like the AIAIAI TMA-1, as well as the opposite, such as the KSC75 or AKG K701.
Looking forward to see their new product and hopefully a review of it too

Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 PM

Just got an email that ZO2 is available for pre-order w/ shipping next week.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Redneck Moderator

Same, I got an e-mail as well. Says oct 24 on their website. http://www.digizoid.com/zo/

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Old 10-21-2011, 12:01 AM

Have already placed the pre-order. The full implementation of SmartVektor, ZO v3, is currently scheduled for Fall 2012 release.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Looks waaaay different than the v1.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 AM

Hi Guys,

Introduction (first post)

I am new to the forum (not to the website which i follow since a couple of years). I am from Belgium (so sorry for my faulty english). I try to improve my mp3-player experience as much as possible, and getting to know a brand like Cowon via this website, i bought a Cowon Iaudio 9 last year (and very satisfied!). I'll problably upgrade to J3 when I have a little bit more money.

So, I'm listening to my Cowon Iaudio 9 with following headphones:
- Panasonic RP-HJE900 (again, got to know these via this website)
- Bower and Wilkins P5 (not the best, i know, but couldn't resist its looks )
- Sennheiser HD-25ii

So, as you can see, i'm very happy to spend good money to upgrade the sound experience.

I mainly (95%) listen to classical music (incl. opera).

Concerning the Digizoid ZO2

Now to the point. I'm already looking for a good portable amplifier for my Cowon iaudio9 (and J3 in a while) for almost two years now, but i have never bought one, because i've read on this forum that for the Cowon-mp3-players, it is not worth it because Cowons mp3-players don't have line-out (i've read here several times that using an amplifier on Cowons would even lead to worse SQ). Also, i found that most portable amplifiers get (very) mixed reviews, so i was never sure that i would get a gould buy.

But now i've stumbled on the Digizoid ZO2, and i read that these are not even made for line out and that these are perfect to use with volume-controlled-outs (i've read this in the ABI-review of the first generation of Digizoids, and i assume - rightly so ? - that Cowons are volume controlled-out mp3-player without line out).

1. Is this correct? Are the Digizoid ideal for Cowon-players and other players without line-out ?

2. I don't want extra volume (i have enough with cowon), so is it worth it than to buy an amplifier just for SQ?

3. As i said, i mainly (if not only) listen to classical music, does the Digizoid give enough extra value to SQ with classical music as well, to justify the price? Or is it better suited for rock, pop, jazz?

4. In general, is this what i've been waiting for the last two years?

Many thanks beforehand for all the useful advice!

Last edited by Tuur; 10-21-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well I think your probably getting pretty good soundquality from your MP3 player, and I'm willing to bet that adding an amp to it wont change that sound in any meaningful, easy to notice way.

Unless you can get some kind of improvement from a line level signal, and then running it through an amp to control the volume with. This is how I use my Sony HD5 and I can't notice a difference I can see a difference when its taken under analysis with some kind software and hardware but my ears just dont cut the muster even though I have better then average hearing, at least in a hearing test. I just don't pay that much attention to the analysis of music anymore, I just go with the flow.

The way I see it- DigiZoid ZO is useful in that it adds a pretty good EQ to a player that has none. Like a Clip+ (without rockbox) a phone or an older MP3 player that's otherwise great except for there being no EQ (My HD5). As far as I know all Cowon players come with a pretty awesome EQ, so the benefit is a little less obvious. Although I'll leave it to dfkt to give a final answer since he's had both in his possession- I just mostly came here to say I pre-ordered the ZO2 because the addition of actual volume control on this thing just makes it a whole lot more useful and I really wanna try this bass EQ ya'll been gawking over

Old 10-21-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Well I think your probably getting pretty good soundquality from your MP3 player, and I'm willing to bet that adding an amp to it wont change that sound in any meaningful, easy to notice way.

Unless you can get some kind of improvement from a line level signal, and then running it through an amp to control the volume with. This is how I use my Sony HD5 and I can't notice a difference I can see a difference when its taken under analysis with some kind software and hardware but my ears just dont cut the muster even though I have better then average hearing, at least in a hearing test. I just don't pay that much attention to the analysis of music anymore, I just go with the flow.

The way I see it- DigiZoid ZO is useful in that it adds a pretty good EQ to a player that has none. Like a Clip+ (without rockbox) a phone or an older MP3 player that's otherwise great except for there being no EQ (My HD5). As far as I know all Cowon players come with a pretty awesome EQ, so the benefit is a little less obvious. Although I'll leave it to dfkt to give a final answer since he's had both in his possession- I just mostly came here to say I pre-ordered the ZO2 because the addition of actual volume control on this thing just makes it a whole lot more useful and I really wanna try this bass EQ ya'll been gawking over
Thx for your advice, you got me - once again - back to the sceptical side :-)

I remember that there's a guide on this forum for headphone amplifiers where you're warned for placebo-effect, so for me it's at the same time a bit strange to read a lot of good reviews for headphone amplifiers on ABI (f.e. about Fiio, Arrow, Pico products as well). For me this is the real difficulty. I can find several really positive reviews of the Digizoid on the internet, but on forums there are always some posters (nwavguy f.e.) with adequate knowledge and experience that tell otherwise, and it always makes me too sceptical to purchase.

It makes me wonder why people are still making this products if so little - obvious - difference can be made. I guess just everybody wants portable HIFI, but it is probably not gonna happen in the nearby future :-)

It's a shame that here in my city (Bruges, Belgium) there is not one store that sells portable headphone amplifiers, let alone that i could just for once hear such an amplifier in action with my own ears. Maybe i just have to order one after all and see for myself if these products can do what they promise.

If someone else has another idea about the Digizoid, i would be glad to hear it, and otherwise i just will have to take a leap in the dark i guess (or not, it's a dillema you know :-) ).

Last edited by Tuur; 10-21-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuur View Post
Thx for your advice, you got me - once again - back to the sceptical side :-)

I remember that there's a guide on this forum for headphone amplifiers where you're warned for placebo-effect, so for me it's at the same time a bit strange to read a lot of good reviews for headphone amplifiers on ABI (f.e. about Fiio, Arrow, Pico products as well). For me this is the real difficulty. I can find several really positive reviews of the Digizoid on the internet, but on forums there are always some posters (nwavguy f.e.) with adequate knowledge and experience that tell otherwise, and it always makes me too sceptical to purchase.

It makes me wonder why people are still making this products if so little - obvious - difference can be made. I guess just everybody wants portable HIFI, but it is probably not gonna happen in the nearby future :-)

It's a shame that here in my city (Bruges, Belgium) there is not one store that sells portable headphone amplifiers, let alone that i could just for once hear such an amplifier in action with my own ears. Maybe i just have to order one after all and see for myself if these products can do what they promise.

If someone else has another idea about the Digizoid, i would be glad to hear it, and otherwise i just will have to take a leap in the dark i guess (or not, it's a dillema you know :-) ).
Honestly, there's nothing placebo about the Digizoid ZO. Once you turn that thing on, you will definitely notice a difference in your music. I have my Clip+ rockboxed, but I'm too lazy to actually change up the settings to my personal taste, and the Digizoid ZO fixed all of my problems. It's up to you whether you want to spend $100, but I would personally recommend getting the ZO 2.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5r2an View Post
Honestly, there's nothing placebo about the Digizoid ZO. Once you turn that thing on, you will definitely notice a difference in your music. I have my Clip+ rockboxed, but I'm too lazy to actually change up the settings to my personal taste, and the Digizoid ZO fixed all of my problems. It's up to you whether you want to spend $100, but I would personally recommend getting the ZO 2.
Thx for your opinion, i'm still in doubt.

Now, i really don't know a lot about sound. So, if I understand you correctly, the ZO2 (or any other amplifier) works as a equalizer (and improves volume off course) ?

So, if I buy an ZO2, than what is the importance of having a good mp3-player? Because i've read on this forum several times that say an Cowon J3 on flat EQ doesn't have better SQ than a Sony or a Samsung on flat EQ, and that the J3 is so good because of the BBE and the EQ. So, does a ZO2 then surpasses the BBE and the EQ of the Cowon?

I was just planning to upgrade my Cowon I9 to a J3 for the extended memory, battery life and dedicated buttons, but is it correct that with say an ipod classic and a Digizoid ZO2 I would get same SQ, or is this incorrect?

Thx beforehand, really appreciate you guys giving me some lessons about all this because although i have a passion for music and portable audio, I really know nothing about the technical stuff

Old 11-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
… So, if I understand you correctly, the ZO2 (or any other amplifier) works as a equalizer (and improves volume off course)? …
This is false, an amp is a device that increases the power of a signal and does not work as an equalizer. An equalizer is either software (firmware) or hardware that increases or reduces (adjusts) the energy of specific frequency bands.

Quote:
… So, if I buy an ZO2, than what is the importance of having a good mp3-player? Because i've read on this forum several times that say an Cowon J3 on flat EQ doesn't have better SQ than a Sony or a Samsung on flat EQ, and that the J3 is so good because of the BBE and the EQ. …
What you may have read is that it’s highly unlikely that one can hear the difference between volume matched top tier mp3 players on flat EQ and yes what makes the difference is the Cowon sound enhancements (called JetEffects) and the features one wants can differ from player to player.

Quote:
… So, does a ZO2 then surpasses the BBE and the EQ of the Cowon? …
Not IMO but it adds to the bass/impact that pleases some peeps taste.

Quote:
… I was just planning to upgrade my Cowon I9 to a J3 for the extended memory, battery life and dedicated buttons, but is it correct that with say an ipod classic and a Digizoid ZO2 I would get same SQ, or is this incorrect? …
I’m confused are you saying that an ipod with a digizoid zo2 would give you the same sound quality as a cowon J3? I don’t think so, but maybe an ipod with a good equalizer app can be tuned closely but I would still prefer the J3 IMO.

In closing I'd say go with the J3 and see how you like the sound out of the headphones you use, if you need more impact on your bass then give the ZO 2 a try ....

Last edited by WalkGood; 11-10-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 AM

from digizoid's facebook page:

Quote:
The bad news is that while we were hoping to avoid any delays, due to circumstances beyond our control the material for the soft touch coating will not be received in time to process this week. However, it will arrive at the beginning of next week, thus extending the ship date from this week to next week. We apologize for the small delay! I can say though that the coating is worth the wait because it will make the ZO2 more scratch-resistant and easier to handle. I'm really sorry you guys, but we want to make sure that each and every ZO2 is worth every penny of your hard-earned money.

The good news is that the first production run of boards is officially a complete success! No imperfections and no errors!
Shipping pre orders in two weeks time!

Last edited by fugo; 10-28-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:06 AM

fugo I edited your post to include [quote] in brackets, please provide a link for your quote and thanks for updating members here. I for one don't ever look or use facebook.

Edit: google had the link http://www.facebook.com/digizoid

Old 10-28-2011, 08:11 AM

cheers mate, should've thought of that myself!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 PM

I just got mine I must say that the improvements are nice but are not a game changer.
The new soft touch case is nice. The turn on pop is gone a replaced buy a gradual volume turn up. The volume control works well. Unfortunately the small hiss from the ZO1 is still present with sensitive phones. Bass boost is still excellent. A great amp for $100 but not a huge step up from the ZO1.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Larch View Post
Unfortunately the small hiss from the ZO1 is still present with sensitive phones.
I just got notice that they're working on fixing that ASAP. Good to hear - that's some dedication, right after release of the new product.