android
Old 10-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Default Android Market and/or rooting

I've been wanting an android device for awhile and since I'm living in China now I bought a YP-G1 on amazon.cn.
I was a bit disappointed because on the amazon page was pictures of the Market but when I got it, no market.
Does anyone know how to get the market or root these devices? I tried superoneclick but it just crashed on my computer.
Edit: I found the firmware samfirmware would it be advisable or helpful to flash the firmware to the US version on there instead of my chinese version?

Last edited by notlofty; 10-09-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-09-2011, 01:12 PM

First you don't need to root to get android market (I think) you can download the latest version of android market which is 3.1.5 there http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1272152

Hope it helps

Old 10-09-2011, 01:15 PM

Interesting.

I'm searching the web and getting hits that android market is not supported in China. So I guess the problem is not to get android market working on the device but to work around the Chinese restrictions.

It's beyond my capabilities to fix but I'll throw in links to the discussions I found. Perhaps someone else here has the technical qualifications to help. If not you might want to check in with Chinese android communities for workarounds. Good luck!

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...f7e42f30&hl=en

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/tv-audio-video/mp3-player/mp3-player/YP-G1CW/XSP/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

Quote:
Major Embedded Applications Android Market Yes General Applications Contacts, Samsung Apps, Alarm / Clock, Calendar, Camera, Gallery, FM Radio, Google Search™, Gmail™, Google Latitude™, Google Places, Google Maps™, Google Talk™, YouTube Client, My Files, AllShare™, Voice Recorder, Memo, Mini Diary, ThinkFree Office Mobile, Task Manager, Skype™ (VoIP calls), Qik

Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Interesting.

I'm searching the web and getting hits that android market is not supported in China. So I guess the problem is not to get android market working on the device but to work around the Chinese restrictions.

It's beyond my capabilities to fix but I'll throw in links to the discussions I found. Perhaps someone else here has the technical qualifications to help. If not you might want to check in with Chinese android communities for workarounds. Good luck!

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...f7e42f30&hl=en

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/tv-audio-video/mp3-player/mp3-player/YP-G1CW/XSP/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification
well maybe the only thing to do is maybe a firmware flash (change)

Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 PM

Right, I've known about being able to get the apk for the Market and actually did try to install it, but it failed. From what I understand it must be in /system/apps to work which is write protected unless you root.
I have a VPN so I'll be able to get around the Chinese restrictions, it gives me a US IP address, so I can still do facebook and stuff.
I think I'll just try to flash the firmware and really hope something doesn't go terribly wrong. Do you guys have a recommendation on which version of the firmware to use? Samfirmware.com has a few different ones.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlofty View Post
Right, I've known about being able to get the apk for the Market and actually did try to install it, but it failed. From what I understand it must be in /system/apps to work which is write protected unless you root.
I have a VPN so I'll be able to get around the Chinese restrictions, it gives me a US IP address, so I can still do facebook and stuff.
I think I'll just try to flash the firmware and really hope something doesn't go terribly wrong. Do you guys have a recommendation on which version of the firmware to use? Samfirmware.com has a few different ones.
I have the G1XXKE1 but why don't you root it?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:17 AM

How do you root it? I tried to root it with SuperOneClick but it crashes like I said. I guess I'll try the one you have.
Edit: When I try to extract the firmware it asks for a password, do you know what it is? Also I'm assuming these are all US firmware am I going to install it and wind up with Korean or something?
Edit 2: The password was listed right under the downloads... It was labeled just as ##. samfirmware.com. idk why they use a password.
Edit3: I got G1ZSKC5 flashed onto my device no problem with Odin3! The firmware says root in it too? Bonus? Now onto hurdle number 2. Getting around China's blockage of the Google apps... Also I forgot to backup all the apk's that I had downloaded. It'll take ages to redownload them all on slow Chinese dorm internet. I'll have to go to one of the few Western owned coffee shops tomorrow.

Last edited by notlofty; 10-10-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlofty View Post
How do you root it? I tried to root it with SuperOneClick but it crashes like I said. I guess I'll try the one you have.
Edit: When I try to extract the firmware it asks for a password, do you know what it is? Also I'm assuming these are all US firmware am I going to install it and wind up with Korean or something?
Edit 2: The password was listed right under the downloads... It was labeled just as ##. samfirmware.com. idk why they use a password.
Edit3: I got G1ZSKC5 flashed onto my device no problem with Odin3! The firmware says root in it too? Bonus? Now onto hurdle number 2. Getting around China's blockage of the Google apps... Also I forgot to backup all the apk's that I had downloaded. It'll take ages to redownload them all on slow Chinese dorm internet. I'll have to go to one of the few Western owned coffee shops tomorrow.
For the root make sure that you disabled your antivirus/firewall because it can cause it crash after you rooted it download root explorer and download the google apps if it dosen't work i think you need to change the region of your player

Old 10-10-2011, 10:50 AM

When I flashed the new firmware I had the google apps installed already. I don't have an antivirus or firewall to disable. Anyways, now I'm just looking into how VPN's work on Android. The VPN on my computer is quite easy as I have a paid one that does everything for me.
Edit: RaptorVPN. Greatest thing ever! Works like a charm. If you are in an area like I am you will need a VPN already on your computer to download it.

Last edited by notlofty; 10-10-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 AM

Hey, could you tell us exactly which firmware you flashed? I flashed a korean version on my yp g1 bought on amazon.cn as well, and the touch screen was calibrated upside down...
Dont want to do that mistake again Trying to be sure which version to flash

Old 03-10-2012, 10:36 AM

As I said in a post above I used G1ZSKC5. It's the one I'm still using but I added Steve's kernel as well now. You essentially just have an international version so most custom ROM's will work.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Ah nice, it worked well using odin.
Now ive finally got an android market link...
Just the german locale is gone, but android market is more important to me

Strange thing is that all firmware links on samfirmware.com for the yp g1 dissappeared, or im to stupid to find them...

Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 PM

I had the same thing happen to me. restore to the factory setting and lost google market so I guess my player is for the China market. (I bought the player second hand.) Then I tried to get to the android recovery mode and do the reset from there. Got the android market after that.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM

I have the exact same problem... I bought this player specifically because I thought it would have android apps. It only has "samsung apps" (of which there are not many at all.) Did the guy starting this thread resolve the problem? If so, how? I have no knowledge of computers, I don't even know what "flash" means. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltatt View Post
I have the exact same problem... I bought this player specifically because I thought it would have android apps. It only has "samsung apps" (of which there are not many at all.) Did the guy starting this thread resolve the problem? If so, how? I have no knowledge of computers, I don't even know what "flash" means. Any help would be appreciated.
I have no problem getting apps from Google Play for my SGP 5. Not all apps are compatible but most are. I also get apps from Amazon. There are plenty of apps - you don't have to just use Samsung for apps.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
I have no problem getting apps from Google Play for my SGP 5. Not all apps are compatible but most are. I also get apps from Amazon. There are plenty of apps - you don't have to just use Samsung for apps.
I believe the issue is that he cannot get to the Play Store.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What version of the player did you buy? SGP 4.0/5.0 USA/International? My suggestion regardless is to first go into Settings>Privacy (I think it's privacy, at least) and select Factory Reset (or Wipe Data, I can't remember what the stock ROM states).

By the way, some things that may come up in resolving this issue are:
  • ROM - the operating system that your player runs
  • Flashing - essentially installing, using a software like Odin

Old 05-17-2012, 01:29 AM

Until he gives us more information we can't really help. I got access to Google Play by downloading Odin as well as a ROM from a different region. Odin "flashes" the new ROM. A quick google search or looking around on this forum or the xda forum should give you what you need.

Tags
android, market, samsung, yp-g1