android
Old 09-10-2011, 03:17 PM

Default Is the Zune HD still worth buying?

I've been doing some reading over the last few hours on the topic of the Zune HD and whether it's still an accountable player, but I haven't been able to come to a conclusion where I'm confident in purchasing one. So I thought I'd make my own thread and hope for a few direct responses. Apologies if this has been discussed before already but I couldn't find anything specific enough.

There are literally only two other mp3 players, that I am aware of, that can compare to the Zune HD and that isn't a iPod. One doesn't offer on-the-fly playlists (Cowon J3) and the other is the model I have now, the Samsung YP-P3, and although it has served me incredibly well over the last two years, Samsung haven't released any fireware updates and the touch screen just isn't responding properly any more - I can't even access certain parts of the UI any more, such as the EQ.

Like Samsung and their apparent dissociation of the YP-P3 series, Zune will also be dropping their hardware and will not be continuing to develop the Zune as a music player. Still, I want the 64GB version greatly, yet everywhere, including America, are either selling them at exorbitant prices or are out of stock. Is there anything out there, even with less features, that can surmount the sound quality and responsiveness of the Zune HD, Cowon J3 or Samsung YP-P3?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Is it still worth buying?... That's really a very personal choice. For me, I'd say yes, if I found it for a reasonable price. You haven't really given us information about how you plan on using it. Do you want video capabilities? Games and apps? Equalizer? These are things that go into it, and without some more info, I can't really help you. I think that the HD is still a phenomenal player that's simple to use, though it lacks some more advanced features. The on-the-go playlist is a big plus compared to the J3, and the wi-fi is important for me.

Edit: Alright, so I just looked up and compared prices. For 6 bucks more than a 32GB Cowon J3, you can get a 64GB Zune HD. Something for you to judge, how the money stacks up and the features of each compare.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The J3 does have an on the go playlist,...

Old 09-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Edit: Only 250 files are allowed inside that playlist, and for me that is too limiting. It may be fine for you, though.

Last edited by steinburger1109; 09-10-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Where did you find the Zune HD 64GB for only 6 dollars more than the J3 32GB? I couldn't find anyone that had them in stock or that would be receiving stock in the future.

From what I've read, the J3 doesn't have an on-the-fly playlist creator, but some people have said that they do, so I don't know which is right. If I can only create 250 files on-the-fly, that will suffice. I only usually create three or four albums in one playlist.

Regarding what I need, I'm about to put payment down on a HTC Desire S or a Sony Xperia Arc smartphone, so I don't need Wi-Fi or Apps. What I do need, though, is an EQ and at least 32GB of storage. I also want a good video player and image viewer.

Most importantly, though, is a really usable, smooth and modern interface and excellent sound quality. I have a set of Ultimate-Ears IEM's and love the extreme clarity and warmth of them, so that is not an issue. I also keep my music at 196kbps or higher. I don't use FLAC or other uncompressed formats, though.

I just want something that plays music and videos with aplomb - gapless playback, on-the-fly playlists, album art, smooth and pretty UI, EQ, multiple formats accepted, 32GB+ with microSD card slot, etc.

Thanks for the quick replies, folks.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup, you want the J3, then. And I just Google'd "zune hd 64" and turned up stuff just over 300 bucks. Did likewise for the J3, and it was just under 300. But anyway, if you want an EQ, stay away from the HD, you'll be pissed at it's lack of one. If you're ok with the 250 file limit in the Favorites list on the J3, then you should be fine.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:23 PM

I literally cannot find anything that has them for sale. Have you got a link? I'm not being lazy here, I've just spent the last 20 minutes looking. I honestly have no idea where you are finding the 64GB for sale.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:04 PM

I'd pick up a Zune HD 32gb for $99 without hesitation.

It's not worth more than that IMO as it's a dead-end product that's had less features than the competition almost since it was released.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Who's selling them for $99? That's a crazy-cheap price.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Who's selling them for $99? That's a crazy-cheap price.
No one is. It was a hypothetical.

I just realized that the 300 dollar one I saw was a scam. Well, forget that. J3+32GB microSD card all the way.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 PM

The 16GB costs today 99$, the 32GB 199$, in BestBuy

Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 AM

The lack of microSD slot kills it, as many other players out there, sadly because zunes are great players.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd get one in a hot second the J3 is nice but the Zune HD is smooth............

Old 09-11-2011, 12:10 PM

I got my Z:HD a while back for $149 (open box) at BestBuy. It was worth it.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you can get it for a good price, don't need an EQ, and don't mind the Zune software requirement (the software isn't too bad after all), then I'd say go for it.

But for the price I got mine, I wouldn't buy one again. I got my 16GB back in Sept. 09 for $230ish, and IMO it was not worth it.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
If you can get it for a good price, don't need an EQ, and don't mind the Zune software requirement (the software isn't too bad after all), then I'd say go for it.

But for the price I got mine, I wouldn't buy one again. I got my 16GB back in Sept. 09 for $230ish, and IMO it was not worth it.

I got my ZuneHD 32GB for $238 shipped back in Sept 09. lol. Its still alive to this day, not a single hiccup besides the Wolfson Micro sound chip dying and having to send it to Taiwan for a repair run @ Wolfson who covered all costs except shipping. (MS Service wanted like $100 to fix it.. bleh)

I know the one they sent me back is mine as well by the little red imprints I made on the insides of the screws. lol. Anyway, its working fine. Best $240 or so I spent on a device imho.

As for Zune in the future... M'S has killed it I think. Which is sad, even though it didn't sell well they could have at least come up with a side project to base one in the future around the WP7 hardware platform to cut costs. I am sure hardware manufacturers would be more than willing to come up with ideas.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:10 PM

The cheapest I found the Zune HD 32GB in the UK was £189, which is about $300. The cheapest I found the Cowon 32GB in the UK was on eBay for £213, which is $340. I could try and find the J3 from an American shop and pay the import fees and whatnot. It'll probably be cheaper, as it is for guitar gear, something I regularly import into Ireland from Canada and America.

The Zune software is good. I like it. The EQ is not essential. I use it all the time on my Samsung, but that's only because I prefer it to the other audio settings. If the pre-designed Zune audio settings are perfectly good as they are, an EQ won't be necessary.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd leave any you can find on the shelves. It's an outdated piece of technology that MS has gotten tired of. Listened to Twit's latest Microsoft podcast and the pundits basically confessed there would be no more media players from MS. The Zune Marketplace will still be avalable on the Xbox, Phone7, and your windows PC (running the Zune software), but the HD is their last media player.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:33 PM

I think I'm just going to go with the J3 and install the Aero Music UI by Kizune, which will offer the on-the-go playlist function.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I think I'm just going to go with the J3 and install the Aero Music UI by Kizune, which will offer the on-the-go playlist function.
This sounds like the best option IMO.