android
Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 PM

Default File types and battery life

Just wondering if using FLAC files reduces battery life on my 32GB J3. When i first got it i used 320k mp3 files and got a good 48 hours of life. But it seems like since i moved to Flac i have much less "use time" on the J3. Is this normal or do i have a bad battery?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-06-2011, 12:46 PM

higher bit rate = more processing power needed = more power needed

Old 03-06-2011, 08:50 PM

What about Vorbis vs MP3? Does it take more processing power to decode a vorbis, although the same bitrate?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkg View Post
What about Vorbis vs MP3? Does it take more processing power to decode a vorbis, although the same bitrate?
I've read that this is the case, but someone on ABI corrected me and said otherwise. So if you want to use Vorbis go ahead, but if I were you I'd just stick with mp3.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 PM

I already have a small collection of Vorbis, I was just wondering for my personal curiosity.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkg View Post
I already have a small collection of Vorbis, I was just wondering for my personal curiosity.
probably many confused with the highly acclaimed Vorbis format. It works a miracle at very low compression as low as 128 and lower, it works much better than MP3. But when comes to high bit rate like 192 and above, MP3 lame is still the best

Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precsmo View Post
probably many confused with the highly acclaimed Vorbis format. It works a miracle at very low compression as low as 128 and lower, it works much better than MP3. But when comes to high bit rate like 192 and above, MP3 lame is still the best
Incorrect, you may want to take a look at hydrogenaudio comparisons, in particular ogg vorbis encoded with the aotuv patches, @ 192kbps mp3 is not even close.

OP: I use only ogg/192kbps in my j3, 1300 albums or so. Paired with the relatively inexpensive klipsh s4, I am amazed every time I use it, particularly with some awesome classical music recordings from deutsche grammophon. Battery lasts "a lot". I recharge it once a week, or every other week depending on use

Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by precsmo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
Incorrect, you may want to take a look at hydrogenaudio comparisons, in particular ogg vorbis encoded with the aotuv patches, @ 192kbps mp3 is not even close.

OP: I use only ogg/192kbps in my j3, 1300 albums or so. Paired with the relatively inexpensive klipsh s4, I am amazed every time I use it, particularly with some awesome classical music recordings from deutsche grammophon. Battery lasts "a lot". I recharge it once a week, or every other week depending on use
Are you saying that aoTuV versions of Vorbis are more transparent than mp3s at bitrates that high? If so please link to the "hydrogenaudio comparisons" that show any version of vorbis superior to mp3 at bitrates of 192 kbps or above. From my reading of the recommended settings for transparency settings when using perceptual encoding they both appear to be transparent at bitrates that high.

AFAIK, "transparent" is just that. Either the encoded files are perceived as transparent or they aren't
Quote:
In psychoacoustics, transparency is the ideal result of lossy data compression. If a lossily compressed result is perceptually indistinguishible from the uncompressed input, then the compression can be declared to be transparent. In other words, transparency is the situation where artifacts are nonexistant or imperceptible.
I can't see how one could be considered more transparent that the other once transparency is achieved.

Link me up, I'm always willing to learn more.