android
Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 PM

Default new e-reader app

how do you download books? do you have to have a zune pass or microsoft points?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2011, 05:34 PM

no you dont... you just use the catalog and download. however, idk how to get other books on it. its kind of a bummer that every thing on there is like pre-50's.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiznumber1 View Post
no you dont... you just use the catalog and download. however, idk how to get other books on it. its kind of a bummer that every thing on there is like pre-50's.
Because it's public domain books: they need to be at least 50 years old, I believe.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM

i was searching terms like UFC and such got books about matt hughes and chuck liddell but it wnt let me download. it did how ever let me download a book about criticzing humes

Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM

yea i clicked on "ebook store" and it wont let me download anything from there.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Interesting and pretty big app, but I don't like e-books and rather have a real book instead(imo, do what you wanna do) . But Low Quality apps? Yeah Right

Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM

I'm Loving the ebook reader!

I was always wishing Zune had something like this and my hopes went down when Microsoft Reader was scrapped

Old 02-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bugs in the Zune Reader app. I downloaded Benjamen buttons, then opened it to read. Went back to the main menu and change the setting from dark to light. Went back to the menu, then my book, then picked the book to read. Picked Last reading Position.

For some reason the dark/light setting page showed up on top of the screen, and no matter what I could do I couldn't get it off the screen. Had to close the app.

On another subject, I was happy to discover two-fingers spread/pinch would enlarge or reduce the size of the text.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 PM

The only thing that I hate is that, it has to use wifi even to read the downloaded books, I may be otg you know.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxmonkey View Post
The only thing that I hate is that, it has to use wifi even to read the downloaded books, I may be otg you know.
Wait, seriously?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxmonkey View Post
No, you don't have to have Wifi to read books that you've downloaded - it tries to connect when you start using it, but it still lets you use it even if it can't.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1n30 View Post
No, you don't have to have Wifi to read books that you've downloaded - it tries to connect when you start using it, but it still lets you use it even if it can't.
Okay, that makes more sense.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Bugs in the Zune Reader app.
Olley - I had our guys take a look at this, and they can't seem to reproduce the problem. Are you willing to email me (aussie@zune.net) so I can add them to the thread and we can find out what is going on here?

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Olley - I had our guys take a look at this, and they can't seem to reproduce the problem. Are you willing to email me (aussie@zune.net) so I can add them to the thread and we can find out what is going on here?

Cheers, Dave.
I haven't been able to reproduce it either. It only happened with the first book I downloaded and opened, which of course will never happen again unless I can delete the app and then re-download it.

As to the paging issue, if they can't figure out how to get the text to flip pages like a book, perhaps they could tune the swipe up/down to only scroll one page/screen's worth of text no matter how hard one swipes. Leave one or two lines of the previous page with the the new page. Other wise it is difficult to keep track of where in the text I was reading when a swipe scrolls quicker/farther than expected.

And to the developer: I appreciate the effort. The Zune HD was the only touchscreen media player in my collection that couldn't even open TXT files. I'll forgive any inevitable early version bugs/errors if you'll promise to start work on an email app immediately!

Old 03-01-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks for bringing an e-reader to Zune... but it doesn't work for me.

I couldn't get a readable text size... way too small.

The screen won't tilt landscape.

When I'm away from wireless the program locks up with a light blue screen.

I look for the app under "E" but instead it's way down at the bottom of the list under "Z". Apps should avoid starting with "Zune"... extraneous noise.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Any reason the pages have to scroll instead of flip like 99% of the ebook apps out there? Unnatural and inefficient to have to slide text up read on. There is a reason the old-fashion book analogy persists.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Any reason the pages have to scroll instead of flip like 99% of the ebook apps out there? Unnatural and inefficient to have to slide text up read on. There is a reason the old-fashion book analogy persists.
So this app was an employee developed title submitted to us - I'm going to see if I can get the employee in question to come on the forum here and offer some comment about the functionality, etc...

I do remember us talking about this very point though - flipping versus scrolling. There were technical limitations that made flipping very, very difficult.

Don't forget that these apps are all built using the XNA Game SDK - it is, in some cases, very difficult to do things in a game SDK that would otherwise be fairly easy in an app SDK. See my many posts about the Zune HD not being designed as a portable apps devices (despite our efforts to deliver as much as we can within those constraints).

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Ok so i think you have to do this:

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...-opds-dropbox/

I havent tried it (too much work and kind of complicated) but i guess itll work.
also, if you just dropbox an epub file it'll work.
although....its only worked for me once ://
i wish Dave would give some feed back on this.

plus. a lot of books wont download from the default catalog and its real buggy and slowish.
and, you must use "http://" before the site url. you dont have to use www but you do have to use http.

so hopefully someone can make this much simpler for us all.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Sorry for the double post but i figured this would be a way to bring this thread more attention.

anywho, i tried what i stated before ^^ its not as hard as it appears. you just download, install, click on an jar file and set up the catalog. The catalog works great, it shows up on my computer and theres even a dropbox link.

However...it does not work on the Zune ://
yes, it is an OPDS catalog. Yes i tried the XML and HTML Links. it won't work. Dave, please help us out with this. The guys on Zuneboards cant find a way to do this either.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 AM

you cant download books from ebook store for some reason, the only books you seem to be able to download are some original books and all of the public domain books. shame you can only have up to 10 books on it at a time though. it doesnt have a word limit or file size limit, just 10 books and thats it. so, any of you wanting lots of short stories are screwed. for now, im sticking to kafka lol. also it seems very buggy...