android
Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Phonak PFE 232 {Dual Driver}

New Phonak's Taken straight from Head-Fi - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...k-aud-o-pfe232

Release should be April - Uk

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 PM

I'll get them soon. Well, I helped tune them, so there's going to be no big surprise in their sound for me. But they sure are going to be fetching.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I'll get them soon. Well, I helped tune them, so there's going to be no big surprise in their sound for me. But they sure are going to be fetching.
loads of bass then?

Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 PM

I've owned a lot of phones over the last couple of years but never felt remotely inclined to change my IEMs - the PFE has outlasted everything else in my audio collection...

Looks like they may be getting a brother...

Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM

Certainly look nice and looking forward to the impression, wonder how they'll stack up on the spreadsheet ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Indeed.

And seeing as how there tuned a definite must buy what will make or break them is the price.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Here's my prototype with interchangeable crossovers, by the way.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:34 PM

hi, nice mod. Where do you get that around the ear tubbing? i'M tempted to do a few mods to my iems. Thanks

Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM

Nice! Must have been a lot of fun to be involved.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:30 PM

Indeed, very exciting running around with that thing, taking mental notes of sound differences between the filters and crossovers.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice!

I wonder what the price will be

I remember reading somewhere that Phonak's mission or something is to offer blah blah blah and keep the prices low.

Maybe that was Fischer

Anyhow, considering tuning this should be nice. Coming from UE11 and liking the SM3 played a part...hopefully so we should be in for a treat.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM

I think that was Fischer. Not that they actually kept the prices low, for generic Chinese OEM products... I think the new PFE will be a bit pricy.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM

You know what I've always thought about the PFE112 design - perfect basic shape for cable placement and fit - just round off those angular edges will you?

That's pretty much what they did for the PFE232 by the looks of it.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM

That's what I told them. The edges that annoyed me are gone in the new PFE - the new ones are really comfy, in any situation.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 AM

Forgot to mention - the cables are user replaceable. Similar two-pin connector as the IE8.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:13 AM

Only 2 drivers? I wanted 10 drivers!

I hope the prices aren't too high. I like the current PFE (111/112) enough that I'd be willing to buy these without a review - if the price is right.

Now we just have to wait for dfkt's review or comments on the sound. Note to Phonak - Get off your rear and send him a review sample.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 AM

The face plates are titanium - useless, but fancy - and the cables are replaceable. I think the price will be a bit of a hurt, compared to the PFE 112.

They said I will be the first to receive the finished product. Fingers crossed.

Either way, the sound engineer's goal was to keep the known PFE sound signature intact, just beefing it up with the help of a second armature. Not the same sound of course, not too far away either. I think he achieved the goal with most of the crossovers I tested - the really bass heavy crossovers weren't considered for the final product, since they took away too much of the clarity, similar to the green filters.

Another tidbit I remember - the 232 go louder than the 112. Certainly a good thing for quieter players, such as the Sansa Clip.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The face plates are titanium - useless, but fancy - and the cables are replaceable. I think the price will be a bit of a hurt, compared to the PFE 112.

They said I will be the first to receive the finished product. Fingers crossed.

Either way, the sound engineer's goal was to keep the known PFE sound signature intact, just beefing it up with the help of a second armature. Not the same sound of course, not too far away either. I think he achieved the goal with most of the crossovers I tested - the really bass heavy crossovers weren't considered for the final product, since they took away too much of the clarity, similar to the green filters.

Another tidbit I remember - the 232 go louder than the 112. Certainly a good thing for quieter players, such as the Sansa Clip.
I sense greatness coming along as everyone else has said I'm more worried about the price then the sound sig.

Will there still be filters??? If so this is a treat.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Well based on what you've said, the 232 will be a winner - at least for people like me who who have been EQing up the bass of the 112.

Many of their dual driver competitors (e.g. Westone 2) are priced at $250-$300, so I'm guessing they won't be more than that. I'd hesitate quite a bit to buy them if they are more than $250-$275 just because I'm not so inclined to open my wallet for audio nowadays.

I suppose I can only pray for $200

Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Yeah, same filters as the 112 - AFAIK, the 232 come with all 3 filter variants.