android
Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM

Default In praise of Phonak PFE 012s

I recently purchased a pair of PFE 012s and I've just posted this review on amazon.co.uk:

I'm not a great review writer but I'm so pleased with my Phonak 012s that I feel moved to write something about them.

I think I've found my perfect in-ears with the 012s. I've worked my way up over the years from generic earbuds to a pair of Sennheiser CX300s, then Klipsch Image S4s and now the Phonaks and I've noticed a worthwhile improvement with each step.

The S4s are excellent earphones but I find the bass is a bit overdone, uneven and unnatural sounding, whereas the Phonaks have a very smooth and even performance over the entire frequency range. The bass goes as low as the S4s but it's tighter and more well defined. The mids are full, bright and clear and there's no shrillness or sibilance at the top end. The music just sounds more natural and there seems to be more 'air' (is that what audiophiles call 'soundstage'?) than with any other IEMs I've tried. With well recorded music I'm able to hear every little nuance - things like vocal breath sounds, string buzz, fret noise etc., are clearer than I've ever heard before.

They are also the most comfortable and least fiddly in-ears I've ever tried - they just go in and stay there with a really good seal. Absolutely fantastic for late-night listening in bed or for a nice walk on the beach.

I listen to mostly blues and 60s/70s rock on my Cowon J3 with high bitrate mp3s and I think the biggest compliment I can give the Phonaks is that after a couple of minutes I just forget they are there.

I just wanted to thank Anythingbutipod - but for you guys and your honest reviews I would never have heard of Phonak.

Cowon J3 + Phonak 012s + good music = sonic heaven

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the review, Selectortone. Glad you like them.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats, the same way I feel.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Phonak has been interesting me for a bit now. Are these the Perfect Fit? I am looking into the differences between perfect fit and perfect bass models.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
Phonak has been interesting me for a bit now. Are these the Perfect Fit? I am looking into the differences between perfect fit and perfect bass models.
The models starting with "0" are the ones that come with the bass filters. The ones starting with "1" come with the gray and black filters.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 AM

I concur, recently received a pair and is surprising in the things this little BA can do compared to others I have had.

@IDvsEGO: both phonak models are the same in terms of drivers and housing. Only difference is the perfect base only comes with 1 pair of green filters and 3 pairs of tips. The normal PFE comes with a host of accessories and filters (not the green ones)

Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Agree, thanks for the feedback - I too am interested in the Phonaks as I eventually want a pair of quality B/A IEMs to contrast with dynamics.

Most folks seem to really enjoy these suckers.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Agree, thanks for the feedback - I too am interested in the Phonaks as I eventually want a pair of quality B/A IEMs to contrast with dynamics.

Most folks seem to really enjoy these suckers.

They will be a nice addition to your Panas, different sound sig.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 PM

Glad you liked the Phonaks. Nice review

Although it had it's FOTM days, I don't consider S4 to be anything great. It lacks bass texture despite it's high impact and also lacks clarity in the highs. I got a loaner which must have 300-500 hrs on it, it still manages to sound sibilant, though not as much as Hippo VB out of the box.

Any idea when Phonak is launching it's multi-armature IEM?

@lestatar,

What are you waiting for? Take the plunge

Old 01-15-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post

Any idea when Phonak is launching it's multi-armature IEM?
I've been quite interested about this for many months, hopefully they come out soon.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The s4 sucks enuff said.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 AM

*necronecronecro*

I figured I would post here rather than make a new thread. Just had these delivered and man are they pretty sounding even straight out of the box. The bass doesn't rumble or really disturb me but you can really hear it which might just be the cure to my headaches after playing too much of my cousins weird dub step. Have had them in for a few hours now and going back to my old Sonys you can really hear the difference. I think I lucked out with these. Definitely right there selectorone the breath sounds and even the little bit of, is it reverb? (I don't know the word for what I hear lol) on the string instruments is present and not something I thought you could reproduce through anything other than a live cello/violin if I'm honest.

The only downside of the fit is that they seem to be a little large where the earbud options are concerned, I am used to the slightly softer tiny Sony tips so it may just be a question of getting used to it, I don't want to swap the tips because I will end up tearing them over time (only one pair for 3 iems).

Does anyone have any tips on eq settings for these on a clip+? I haven't really messed with it yet but I plan to later on

Stuff: Nokia Lumia 800, Sansa Clip+ 8gb+32gb card, Zune 30, Sony MDR EX35, Radiopaq Pop/Rock/Jazz, Phonak Audéo PFE 012, Panasonic RP-HTx7

Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 AM

Since my Westone W1 broke today, I'm in need of a new pair of IEM for workout.

Any reason not to get the 022 over the 012?

I won't need the mic, but the 022 are on sale on amazon ATM.

Thanks

Old 02-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, the mic won't get in the way - except for the chin slider not going all the way up. If they're cheaper than the 012, sure, go for it. Spend the rest of the money on getting the grey filters.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Nice!

Thanks.

I was afraid, that the SQ would be somewhat worse, due to the extra cabelling for the mic, but maybe I'm just hypochondriacal.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nah, I have both the 112 and 122, and there's no difference. The mic is just one additional wire inside the cable that's not in use/carries no power on a regular audio player.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Is the difference between the 012 and 112 just a matter of accessories and white as a color?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Exactly. Drivers are the same, you just get different filters with them, and other stuff.