android
Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 PM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

Default Dual-Boot operating system

Hello. recently i have contacted Zii about the egg including a suggestion about a dual operating system type theme. so on start up you can choose andriod or plasma. Here is what the email was and the respons

it also says some about a consumer edtion

Quote:
Thank you for visiting Zii Contact Center.

Your enquiry (Case No. W000001482 ) has been updated. Here are the details below:

• Problem: Dear Zii, I have bean waiting for the zii egg to be released as a consumer model. I under stand that the Zii Egg is going to be an OEM but are you going to release at least one consumer version? Also I would like to suggest adding a dual boot kind of theme in the beginning. On start up you can choose to boot either software: andriod or plazama. This way they can have both on there players. This would be a very nice improvemt which I am sure all the other people waiting to buy a Zii Egg would love.Thank you. I understand if you can not give out any details but can you at least tell me if i should wait for a consumer edition. I plan on buying sometime in June or July. For me July is the max i can wait. Once again Thanks
  • Reply: Thank you for your interest in our Zii products.
    With regards to your inquiry, currently, the Zii EGG, bundled with the Plaszma OS, is intended for company or individual developers that allow application development.

As of this time, we do not have information regarding product development for the Zii consumer version.

Pricing and specifications for the consumer version is currently unavailable as well. We encourage you to visit our website often for further announcements and product updates.

We are always looking for ways to make Zii products more useful to our users, and we will keep your question in mind.
    We also would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your suggestion of dual boot operating system in the Zii EGG. We really appreciate it when our customers take an interest in helping us improve our business.

As with all new ideas, we must first review its feasibility with respect to our business goals and long-term plans. Whether we implement your suggestion in the near term or save it to be reviewed again at a later date, we want to encourage you to keep making suggestions. It's one of the best ways we have of learning how we can better serve you. We look forward to hearing from you again in the future.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write to Zii Contact Center.

Note: This e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

Sincerely,
Zii Contact Center

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 PM

At least they didn't say that there wouldn't be a consumer model at some point. If you get one of these, share your thoughts on it. I am trying to get some idea of how it operates as a music player and how the web browser is. Hard to get any real impressions because of how little info there is and how few people actually have one. It looks awesome, but the price is high, so I really want to have a good idea of what I'd be buying.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Ya, I know what you mean. If they releases a consumer model it will be cheaper since there will be no sdk included

Last edited by jbob182; 10-28-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Grammer

Old 06-04-2010, 04:51 PM

ZMS-08 is not going to be used in handsets. It's for set top boxes and laptops. It would eat the battery in less then an hour.

It is not a consumer device. If you do not plan to develop for it do not get it. Simple as that.

Also Zii Labs marketing people have expressed no interest in making a consumer version. They are pushing it as an ODM.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 PM

So what is Creative planning? Is it possible that a touch-screen Zen could be released eventually running Plazma or Android? That would be sweet, if improbable.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 AM

Creative doesn't share their plans. They have FCC approval for a "Creative Zii", so there will probably be a consumer version at some stage (same device as the Zii EGG). The Zii EGG has very good sound quality (better than anything else I've compared it to, including older Creative players). The web browser is Opera.

It will have to be cheaper, or noone will buy it...

Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 AM

It should be cheaper since Creative tends to make some price competative products

also there would be no sdk included. On average an SDK cost anywhere from $150-300