android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > MP3 Player User Reviews

Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default The HiSoundAudio AMP3 PRO1 "Audiophile" MP3 Player: A Pathetic Piece of Garbage

So everyone and their dog have been feverishly awaiting the arrival of the new Jesus players for audiophiles, the HiSoundAudio RoCoo and AMP3 PRO2, or STUDIO 1, or HAROLD, or whatever it's called. I don't care; I'm too lazy to look up what fancy names they made up to extract some more money from your wallet.

I borrowed the older AMP3 PRO1 from a friend, and I'm speechless that it's actually worse than I thought it would be. A lot worse. A lot.

So the con artists who made that piece of crap allegedly stuck some "Class A" amp in it and called it a day. No wait, I give you the whole marketspeech drivel, it's even more awesome. That hunk of junk has a: "PDAA - Portable Digital Acoustic Amplifier". Sounds super manly and all astonishing and science-y, eh?

Too bad it actually sounds worse than your average decent brand player. I've tested it against the Sansa Clip and the Cowon S9, volume-matched to within 0.5dB - and both sound better than the AMP3, no matter what phones. Well, with IEMs the AMP3 is actually completely unusable, it hisses more than the FiiO E3 or the Minibox-E+. The hiss is louder than on any other player I've ever heard - and that includes $5 DealExtreme players. It hisses constantly, and it hisses and warbles some more when accessing the memory. "Class A", my ass. How about building an MP3 player that actually works, not some useless piece of crap sold with the help of fancy sounding rubbish and lies?

The firmware matches the rest of the stinker. It's something some script kiddie cobbled together on a spare afternoon it seems. The player has extremely slow bootup, a sluggish UI, terrible usability, an awful file browser, and the list goes on. It's almost impossible finding an audio track with the sorry excuse of the braindead mix of ID3 and folder browsing they implemented on the crappy 3-line display. The player crashed on me a few times, and the ripoff iPod Shuffle controls are abysmal to operate. They react to every 3rd or 4th press if you're lucky.

It's plain pathetic, only a true con artist would sell such a piece of garbage for that ridiculous price, and have the nerve to call it an "audiophile" product. I pity the poor souls that fell for all these lies. But then again there's a lot of peer pressure on forums, and rarely anybody likes to admit that they fell for a scam - and so the lies spread. Anyways, enough of that - this player has no redeeming features. None at all, it's all bad, sad, and pathetic about it. Well, the battery life should be nice. No wonder since it's such a brick.

The AMP3 PRO1 is so extremely bad in every aspect; it's the ultimate in "Emperor's New Clothes". Just needs a $500 cryo-treated USB cable that matches the player. But seriously, I hope this writeup serves as a warning to people who are actually considering buying some dubious piece of hardware from some shady Chinese manufacturer with no moral standards (and their European or American strawmen).

Here's my RMAA test of that pathetic piece of junk: RMAA - AMP3 vs. Sansa Clip+. Results aren't even mediocre. I don't think I have to add anything to that.

Frequency response:

THD:

IMD:

Stereo crosstalk:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned

Wow...that bad...

Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This guy must be a stockholder:

http://www.compudio.ca/2009/12/hisou...e-bargain.html

I particularly love this part:

"Hisoundaudio has strayed away from the fancy packaging that many other manufacturers use. It is not covered in a ridiculous amount of material. Rather, Hisoundaudio has decided to go with a much simpler presentation."

Translation: "Hisoundaudio has decided to further kick their duped customers in the head by going with the cheapest, generic packaging possible, all the while laughing on the way to the bank."

I tried to find some recent sales figures for these devices but came up with squat.

What did PT Barnum say? There's a sucker born every day...

cheers,
-lestatar

Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I knew it was a piece of shiite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM

Good read, made me laugh heh.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice craftsmenship! It looks like a Sunday School DIY amp project with a ebay China special #2 ipod nano hot glued to the front. I can only think of one real use for this thing, stuffing it in your sock to ward off a pack of dingos

Seriously though, you'd better hit the dominant male hard and first so as to scare off the rest of the pack before this thing disintegrates and your left to fight a bunch of pisssed off wild dogs with only Gene Simmons left boot

Last edited by no9; 03-01-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh, I'll better get my GWAR and/or Manowar boots out as well.

I posted this review on Head-Fi as well, and the responses there are - as expected - quite a bit more colorful: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/hi...arbage-475328/

Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

I posted this review on Head-Fi as well, and the responses there are - as expected - quite a bit more colorful: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/hi...arbage-475328/

Heh, great read again!!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

There are more rational posts in that thread than I expected, to be honest.....but clearly by page 4, the "true believers" are coming out for blood....lol.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 AM

As much as I like your more traditional reviews, I've got to say I'm enjoying these "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more!" style editorials.

Keep them up.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I guess I should cut down a bit on watching Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews....

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

Off-topic a bit, but at least this site keeps it real with reviews and opinions. As for fans there is zealous then just plain psychotic elsewhere.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 PM

The multiple shills are hilarious, that yo43 guy is a riot.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
The multiple shills are hilarious, that yo43 guy is a riot.
Guess I made my point over there, but one wonders how many more “joined today” that he’ll get

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 PM

dfkt, was the player fully "burned in" before you reviewed it?

Bad timing though - you prevented many non-audiophiles from embracing these "audiophile" players, thus preventing their graduation to "audiophile nirvana"

I was reading about Amp3 Pro2 at head-fi and got a little interested. Fortunately, one fellow Head-fier from India owned it. I asked for his impressions and based on that, decided not to go for it. The huge usability issues, which I do not experience with the big screen S9 or the 3-line Clip+ in exchange for a "great sound" just did not seem like a good bargain to me.

Hopefully dfkt would be able to answer this about Amp3 Pro2 later on - IF it is really good sounding as many claim, is it really better or is it just the "class A amp" sounding louder giving the illusion of a better SQ?

Anyway, this review makes it that much more interesting to wait for dfkt's Rocoo review. Review section or Garbage section - that is the question

Old 03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Decent brand portable players are already very very good as they are. Most have an issue or two (crosstalk, roll-off, hiss) with some kinds of headphones or in general, but those are negligible with a lot of phones, or can be removed with the help of a decent amp (from some trustworthy builder, like Corda, Headamp, and such). There's really nothing that can be "hugely" improved, there is nothing that could make a "night and day" difference anymore, because all the well regarded players are really decent already. Not only do these HiSound con artists dupe people into thinking there can be a "huge improvement" in sound quality (which is impossible, at least without psychoacoustic tricks like BBE and such) - but they have the nerve to sell something that actually sounds worse than a $20 Sansa Clip and has a lot more issues!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM

hehe yeah, i am surprised he isn't getting more angry at my outright claims about his obvious connection to hi sound.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:49 PM

They should of called it »The HiSSoundAudio AMP3 PRO1... haha!
Amp: FiiO E5(Nationite EDITION)

Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's open again

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana
I'm reopening this thread. I deleted 34 posts, and probably missed some. If folks can't post without flying off the handle and attacking each other, then folks might get a vacation from posting.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
It's open again
I like the Engrish post....lol.