android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Other Brands

Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Sound quality of HiSound Studio1 or HiFiMan?

I've heard some pretty good things about the HiSound Audio AMP3 player, but what about the Studio 1? Can anyone compare these to the HiFiMan?

I have a Cowon D2 and Sansa Clip. They both sound really good, but the Clip has a larger soundstage, whereas the D2 seems to sound a little compressed. I'm looking to upgrade to something that will play FLAC and has clearly better sound quality than my current two players.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hifiman 801 can only play 5 hours and the size is big and the price is $700 and you need to pre-order it, do you care about it?

Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 PM

Ideally I would like a DAP that I can just plug into a home system and have it sound like a good CD player would sound. The Sansa Clip doesn't have enough power to really do this, the Cowon D2 I think has the power, and sounds good, but maybe not quite good enough.

The technology is here it's just finding the company that wants to package a true audiophile solution.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:28 PM

Why not just buy an amp? Then use the players you already own.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

One can't properly use an amp without a line out. Which players have a real line out?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
One can't properly use an amp without a line out. Which players have a real line out?
As far as mainstream players......iPods.....and people are making them for the Fuze and Sony players, although the price on the cable for the Sony players can be ridiculous.http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=53334

That said, there's no reason you can't use an amp without a true line-out. I have, in fact I did last night for several hours, with both a Clip+ and my Sony players.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

agree with our moderator, why dont just buy an amp and maybe use a player with Line-out compability

Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 AM

I could buy an amp for the Sansa Clip, and the Cowon functions fine in this capacity.

My question is "What's next?"

I'm looking for my next player that meets my standards for very high sound quality and has enough power to plug into a home system.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 PM

The next big thing is what everybody strives to get but usually it ends up just draining their wallets. For the $800 that a HiFiMan will cost, you could get everything you need to use your computer to listen to music via your stereo. If you buy a high priced player with so much focus on trying to call itself the "Best" audio player out there, most likely you'll end up with a bad GUI and a horrible implimentation of lackluster features. A player that you already own and like the features of, beefed up with a quality amp, will most likely be your cheapest and best way to get the most bang for your buck.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM

The Sansa Clip+ or the Sony B143 sound pretty much the same as the headphone output from my AudioFire, or my Woo 6 amp (minus the tube distortions), given an average-to-drive pair of phones. I don't think a lot of improvement is possible in portable audio, a lot of players are pretty good already (Cowon unfortunately isn't, at least technically, among other brands). Stuff like HiSound, Hifiman, S-Flo, seems to play with the gullible 'audiophiles' that think they might hear a difference, but in reality there isn't any. That's just companies in for a quick buck.

With those questionable esoteric players one obviously doesn't gain better sound quality, but rather loses solid firmware functions/updates and build quality compared to reputable companies. Not to mention, none of those 'audiophile' players is even gapless, so that alone leads the whole claim ad absurdum.

As for a line-out, the Sansa Clip matches impedances on the headphone-output, so if it gets a near-infinite impedance as found on a hifi-amp input, it might get confused. You won't get a really good line-level signal out of a pre-amped headphone-out in any way, on any player. Get a Sansa Fuze, same sound quality as the Clip, and it's possible to make a line-out dock for it. Other than that, iPods have line-out possibilities as well, the Zune too, but it's an overpriced rip-off solution. Not sure if the fancier Sony players with proprietary cable have line-out. It's sad that not many other manufacturers think of that basic feature anymore... back in the days lots of players had a dedicated line-out next to the preamped phones-out, like the Cowon X5 or iRiver H100/300.

Anyways, if you're really serious about digital audio in a home setup, anything portable is sub-par anyways. Something like a Slim Devices Transporter/Squeezebox, RipNAS, Olive Opus, etc. would be a better solution - if you don't simply get a decent sound card for your computer.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

or maybe external dac

my solution for you
Computer > external dac > external amp > speaker/headphone

Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 AM

dfkt,

I value your opinion - but what do you suggest that will play FLAC, has great SQ, and has powerful output? Would you say the Sansa Clip or Clip+ are about as good as it gets for sound quality? I can't seem to make the Clip+ recognize FLAC - it just says it's an unrecognized file type and won't let me copy it to the player.

So the Cowon D2 is, technically at least, not a good sounding player. What others might be besides the Clip and Clip+? Have you run an AMP3 through any testing? Many experienced people sure seem impressed with the SQ of the AMP3.

Thanks dfkt for all your help!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My Clip+ plays FLACs just fine.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So does my RockBoxed DAP's,.....................

Old 02-25-2010, 11:25 AM

If you're in for linearity and don't care for sound enhancements, the Clip, Clip+, or Fuze are faithful-to-the-source sounding players. Some of those can be Rockboxed, while for others a Rockbox port is in the works as we speak - making them in my (an many others) opinion even better players, if you like configurability of pretty much every aspect of your player.

They play FLAC just fine, no matter if stock firmware or Rockbox. Some people seem to have good gapless results with the stock firmware and FLAC as well. The stock firmware might drain more battery than Rockbox for FLAC playback. Rockbox is perfectly gapless anyways, with pretty much any format.

Unfortunately Sony don't support any decent formats, they're a bit dumbed down, firmware-wise. I wish there was a Rockbox port for some Sony player, that would be extremely awesome.

The rest of the players I know, Cowon, Samsung, Creative, Trekstor, iPod, Meizu, etc, aren't as faithful as the two above mentioned brands at audio reproduction. They all have more or less flawed DACs, or botched analog output stages. Some of them can be made to sound decent with the help of a dedicated headphone amp, like most Cowon players, for example.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
If you're in for linearity and don't care for sound enhancements, the Clip, Clip+, or Fuze are faithful-to-the-source sounding players. Some of those can be Rockboxed, while for others a Rockbox port is in the works as we speak - making them in my (an many others) opinion even better players, if you like configurability of pretty much every aspect of your player.

They play FLAC just fine, no matter if stock firmware or Rockbox. Some people seem to have good gapless results with the stock firmware and FLAC as well. The stock firmware might drain more battery than Rockbox for FLAC playback. Rockbox is perfectly gapless anyways, with pretty much any format.

Unfortunately Sony don't support any decent formats, they're a bit dumbed down, firmware-wise. I wish there was a Rockbox port for some Sony player, that would be extremely awesome.

The rest of the players I know, Cowon, Samsung, Creative, Trekstor, iPod, Meizu, etc, aren't as faithful as the two above mentioned brands at audio reproduction. They all have more or less flawed DACs, or botched analog output stages. Some of them can be made to sound decent with the help of a dedicated headphone amp, like most Cowon players, for example.
I plan to get hifiman 601, so hifiman 601 isn't a "faithful-to-the-source sounding player" ?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleskin View Post
I plan to get hifiman 601, so hifiman 601 isn't a "faithful-to-the-source sounding player" ?
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...Hifiman+HM-601

Old 06-12-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Ok, first, I heard the amp3 dap is a giant hyped dap with ton of bugs, now I see this thread and that put hifiman in same place too, also a giant hyped dap

So, if I'm looking for a nicer sq for my sansa clip+ and fuze, which dap should I bought ? or which portable amp ?

Use them with my yuin pk 3 and probably yuin pk1 in the future (plan to get one)

NO IEM, I hate IEMs

My genres are newage, easy listening, symphony metal opera, progessive metal, lounge, spanish guitar, harp

Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleskin View Post
No it isn't. It performs measurably and audibly different than DAPs that cost a fraction of it's price and are superior in just about every other way.

Recent test results and discussion are in the link Marv provided. There's links in that thread to explanations by the maker as to why they consider what they produce is worth the ridiculous price.

None of them convince me in the least. If after reading through that thread and the links included you may decide to buy one anyway. At least you'll be able to make a more informed decision.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
No it isn't. It performs measurably and audibly different than DAPs that cost a fraction of it's price and are superior in just about every other way.

Recent test results and discussion are in the link Marv provided. There's links in that thread to explanations by the maker as to why they consider what they produce is worth the ridiculous price.

None of them convince me in the least. If after reading through that thread and the links included you may decide to buy one anyway. At least you'll be able to make a more informed decision.
At which page, the link to the explanations by the makers ?