android
Old 07-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Default Archos 5 or iPod Touch?

I'm debating whether I want to buy an Archos 5 or an iPod Touch. Here are some of the things I want to do:

1) Record TV shows and play them on the Archos / iPod. Some of the PBS shows are not available through Netflix or any other website. The only option is to record them off the TV.
2) Download music to the device. I don't know if I can download stuff from iTunes to the Archos. I hope that it's not just their site that's available for download as there isn't much availability on it.
3) Play chess. I know that iTunes has a chess game on it. I don't know if I can download Chessmaster Challenge off the internet.
4) Watch streamlined movies from Netflix
5) Have WiFi access at places like Borders & Starbucks. I heard that WiFi access only works at home with the Archos.
6) Is there any additional monthly fee associated with either the Archos & the iPod for internet access? I'm assuming that I would have to have a WiFi account.
7) Which device has better video / audio quality?

Here's why I'm hesitant to buy the Archos. (I'm considering it only for the larger screen size and perhaps lower cost.)

a) After buying all the accessories that are required for the Archos, will the cost end up being more than the iPod?
b) More applications are being developed for the iPod.
c) I don't know anything about Archos. Could they go belly up in the next few years?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-25-2009, 02:46 AM

I have a 605Wifi version.
It is nice for long flights

I love the audio and video.
It's a bit heavy
The WiFi works like a champ.
The firmware is buggy (random freezes) I need to use the pin to reset on almost every flight

Power and video cables are proprietary...beware

After about a year, all development stopped

The Archos Fan forum is a help, but there is little third party help.

In general, I'd stay away from Archos if you want long term support.
If you don't need anything past a year or so, its a great player.

I'm looking at Cowon now

Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM

I love my 605 and its great for Video/Audio. But I agree w Lysdexia that long term support is sketchy. I'd put it down to this...do you want a bigger screen for movies? Than go w/ the Archos. It also has flash 9 where the iTouch does not. But an iTouch will be supported for years to come and the Archos 605 no longer has any support or Firmware updates.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 AM

I personally would recommend the iPod Touch (get the one with the most storage you can afford). I have owned both and after returning the A5A (Android, 160gb) to get the iPod Touch 64gb, I have absolutely no regrets...well one. The screen size. I loved the Archos screen size, but not the actual screen. It was resistive, thus felt "mushy". Maybe try both? Best Buy has a liberal return policy (that's where I did my A5A to iPT swap).

Let me say this, I really tried to like the Archos. After multiple bugs and zero support from Archos, I went Darkside. If there was an announcement tomorrow that Archos 5 Android now came with a capacitive screen and all bugs were resolved, my iPod Touch would be on Craigslist moments after the announcement. A5A=great concept/hardware (for the most part), buggy software.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd recommend the iPod Touch as well, as the Archos is way too buggy - still. The touch has better battery life, better SQ, and is way more reliable. I owned the Archos 5 and the touch 64gb - I sold the Archos 5 after a short time, got tired of errors w/my vids, not always playing my mp3's, and the battery dieing when it WOULD play my music - in a few short hrs, not the promised time.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 AM

I would wait for the new one to come out soon!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man76 View Post
I would wait for the new one to come out soon!
The Archos or touch?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 PM

I prefer my Archos 605 WiFi over my iPod. Here are some reasons:
- Good screen size
- Flexible and easy to load movies and music from many sources.
- WiFi works great.
- I use the DVR dock to record sports and other programs. Then I can watch them either on the Archos or on a TV.
- Archos locates the TV schedules for my area and then I program it to record movies and shows when I'm not at home. It's like a TIVO.
- I got my DVR station at NewMP3Technology.com. This link show the DVR package-
http://www.newmp3technology.com/dvr-station-05.htm

Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM

If anyone is still deciding on which one to buy, I would consider a cowon Z2. they're just coming out in korea.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder900 View Post
If anyone is still deciding on which one to buy, I would consider a cowon Z2. they're just coming out in korea.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Tags
archos5, ipod