android
Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 PM

Default Best IEMs bass-wise for S9?

What are the best IEMs for S9, basswise?
price range doesn't really matter.

I bought Q-Jays today and tried them on S9, and I was pretty dissapointed, I'll probably return them tomorrow.
No doubt the sound quality is really good, but it lacked that bass to it, I like 'resonating' bass that stays for a while. Q-Jays' bass is sort of "short", and gets distorted at high volume.
how do SE530s sound on S9?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-12-2009, 06:09 AM

S-Jays have a lot of bass, but good clarity on mids and highs too.

That said, I've had mine for a coupla months and the rubber insulation on the cord has come free from the ear piece on one phone, exposing the wires a little. Hopefully Jays will replace it.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

S-Jays have good clarity? Then the pair I got for the review must be defective, since they're among the muddiest and most veiled IEMs I've heard in that price range. My old Sennheiser CX300 or even the lousy Sony EX51 have more clarity than the s-Jays, for example.

High quality basshead IEMs are the Future Sonics Atrio and Sennheiser IE8. SE530 sound kind of fine with the S9, but they do hiss quite a bit and would benefit from an amp.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
S-Jays have good clarity? Then the pair I got for the review must be defective, since they're among the muddiest and most veiled IEMs I've heard in that price range. My old Sennheiser CX300 or even the lousy Sony EX51 have more clarity than the s-Jays, for example.

High quality basshead IEMs are the Future Sonics Atrio and Sennheiser IE8. SE530 sound kind of fine with the S9, but they do hiss quite a bit and would benefit from an amp.
Really? My old phones were CX300s and the main difference I found between them was that the CX300s had bigger but somewhat over bearing bass and the S-Jays had much clearer mids and highs... That said, I'm no expert by any means, just going by subjective impressions from listening to the same tracks back and forth with the two sets of phones.

Will bear your reccommendations in mind for my next phones though.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I wish I had a 2nd pair of s-Jays for comparison... there's been several way more positive reviews than mine in the last time. It really starts to look like the pair I got was faulty.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:01 PM

Running with a pair of D-Jays and it sounds great, just up the bass and it's perfect. At least from my point of view.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:32 PM

I've had a really quick go of some V-Moda vibe's a while ago and I thought the Bass was pretty vibrant and punchy, It didn't resonate as you say but it was clear and it felt like bass is meant to feel.

I wasn't too impressed with anything else in the vibe's, bass heavy songs really drowned out anything else that my SE110's would pick up easily.

I'm used to and love a decent amount of bass but not overpowering which is why I like my shure's.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:51 AM

The denon ah-c551 and ah-c771 are supposed to have great bass (and great mids). I am about to buy the 551 mysels.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:46 PM

I vote for S-Jays too

I have had a pair of D-Jays that were faulty (weak cable and annoying treble) and after returning them, I waited 1 week to receive brand new ones, which were very very good. I'm 200% satisfied with their sounds.

From what I've heard, S-Jays are the same as D-Jays but with deeper bass, though I am totally satisfied with my D-Jays' bass.

Oh.. And if you live in Europe, www.jaysearphones.co.uk is a great site to order from; I recommend them for their great prices and their AWESOME reactivity (1 week inc. shipping time for replacement , 4 days for standart shipping) (I live in France)

PS: I'm not paid by Jays I'm just a satisfied custommer.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 PM

sorry about which site it's from LOL http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV219LL/A
they sell em anywhere. I got them brand new from a crack head on craigslist for 30 bucks.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 PM

Yay a thread I can contribute to!

Anyway, I have an S9 and using SE530's! I only used them together for 3 days ...
(I got my S9 on saturday and on Monday I left my se530s at a shop to get them reshelled to a custom fit)

I love the combination to be completely honest. With the fine tuning of my EQ/extra sound changes that come with the S9 I tuned it perfectly for my ears. I also noticed I can really hear the sound quality difference between FLAC and 320 kbps in my music with my cowon s9 + se530's (when compared to my 530's + iphone 3G S with apple lossless).

And from my iPod video 5.5, iPhone EDGE, iPhone 3G S, AND my Cowon S9 still have the "hiss/air flow" sound at high(er) volumes (15-20 for me).

320kbs and FLAC (converted from apple lossless)
SE530's
No Amp!
Avg sound volume: 10-15
Settings:
EQ: (2,1,0,3,4)
BBE 1
Mach3Bass 4
3D 1
MP On
Stereo enhance 2
Reverb 1

I enjoy deep strong bass that brings out the double kicker in metal/hardcore music.
Like I can feel it deep in my skull (silly as that sounds)
However I also really enjoy higher treble and like "sharp" highs.

I'm do have"golden ears" nor do I know the science between music/Hi-fi sound/formats... I just really like music that sounds good to me!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:55 AM

I own the Monster Turbines! They are amazing.... nothing beats them when it comes to bass...and the treble and mid are fairly awesome! I love the fact that they are noise cancleing and with volume at 18 i can hear every part of the music and the bass is rich and deep in my skull!

hope it helps

Tags
bass, earphones, iem