android
Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Archos 404

I was just browsing around and I found this sweet compact PMP player.
http://www.archos.com/products/video...global&lang=en

Has anyone had any hands on experience with this player?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 PM

I tried it for half an hour in a shop... interface/buttons are rather bad, they really need some time getting used to. But it's not as bad as older Archos devices, like the AV500, which used two separate navigation interfaces.

Battery life is below average, too - 4 hours for video, 12 hours for audio. And no user-replaceable battery, which the 504 and 604 do have.

Screen is good, but the 504 and 604 have better screens - not only more pixels, but they do look better.

Price of the 404 is great, but you don't get any accessories with it, not even an AC plug. And charging via USB takes a lot of time.

To use the video-recording function you have to buy the optional €70/$100 cradle.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
Battery life is below average, too - 4 hours for video, 12 hours for audio. And no user-replaceable battery, which the 504 and 604 do have.
Hmmm battery isn't bad considering the IAudio X5 is 14 hours. It would be cool to have a PMP that can hold its own as a Mp3 player.

It appeals to me cuz the screen is large with lots of memory but it is still seems quite compact.

dfkt....how would you compare the size to the Iaudio X5?

Problem is the 504 and the 604 are a bit larger....not comfortably pocket size anyways from what i gather.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:02 PM

For me 4 hours of video playback without the possibility to change the battery seem sorta ridiculous. 4 hours isn't really "mobile". The Cowon A2 plays videos for 10 hours... And I'm spoiled by the X5L's 35 hours of audio playback (and 12 hours of - smallish - video playback), too.

The 404 has nearly the same length as the X5L, it's about 2cm wider, but has less depth (same depth as the X5, I suppose).

The 604 really isn't that much bigger than the 404 - 3cm more width, and about 2mm more depth. The 504 is bulkier, though, due to the better battery and bigger HDD - about the same dimensions as the A2.

X5L: 103x60x19mm
404: 100x78x15mm
504: 130x78x23mm
604: 130x78x17mm

Old 11-03-2006, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
For me 4 hours of video playback without the possibility to change the battery seem sorta ridiculous. 4 hours isn't really "mobile". The Cowon A2 plays videos for 10 hours... And I'm spoiled by the X5L's 35 hours of audio playback (and 12 hours of - smallish - video playback), too.
Dang that is a good battery you got there.
You think there is a market for big screen compact mp3 type players?
That just gave me an idea for a new thread.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:41 PM

I think the Archos 404 is perfect...the only flaw is a long start-up time.