android
Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 AM

Default Replacement HDDs

My Vibez failed last November with a clicking noise on boot-up -- a pretty obvious HDD failure.

Now, I've heard that other than a replacement Seagate drive or whatever extinct dinosaur the Vibez used, it's hard to find a replacement HDD I could stick in there and format with Vibez firmware. Is this true? Or is there some convenient 16GB drive or something that will fit nicely?

If I recall, the Vibez is a 1" drive space and uses some form of IDE interface.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 PM

I take it you're past the 1 year warranty period?

The drive you're looking for is the Cornice 1" 12 GB Dragon Drive http://blogofwishes.com/pc-periphera...-12gb-storage/ But I think it might require an insane amount of luck and persistence to actually find one on your own (Cornice closed up shop about a year ago). Then figuring out or finding instructions on how to actually open it up and replace it on your own is another task altogether.

As far as the Seagate equivalent, IIRC, the Cornice accepted a slightly lower voltage than the Seagate, saving on battery power. Even if you could get a Seagate drive that fits and has the same connector, I believe you'd still need a firmware update to get the vibez to work with the change in voltage.

Just a guess: You're best bet might be to get TrekStor to fix it out-of-warranty, assuming they would do it for not too much money, and assuming they have 12 GB Cornice drives to spare.

You might want to post this question up on riovolution.org, see if anyone can offer any better info.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:21 PM

I'm not past the 1-year-warrantee, but Trekstor has so far refused utterly to replace the Vibez. I'm giving it another try now that I've found another American tech-support number, but so far no luck.

Thanks for the info, anyway.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:15 PM

If they won't honor their warranty, then call your state AttorneyGeneral. They must fufill your warranty.