android
Old 01-31-2008, 09:30 AM

Default How good is the rating system?

I am thinking of getting the 12gb vibez soon. The main thing I am looking for in a mp3 is the rating system. I want to be able to rate songs while I am using the mp3 player. I understand that the vibez now has this feature with the firmware upgrade. How good is it? Is the rating system based on 5 stars? Can I take my ratings and for example ask the player to play only 5 star songs? Or even better, can I ask it to play 5 star songs within a genre or sub-genre?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2008, 11:56 AM

It's a 5 star rating system accessible from the same Pop-up window used for volume, seek, brightness and pitchbend. In the current implementation, you can use the DJ to play all songs with a given rating, but not subdivided by genre or sub-genre.

If using WMP11 the sync over MTP, ratings are synced both ways, at least for mp3 and wma tracks. I haven't tested Ogg of Flac. These might not sync back to WMP since WMP can't write Ogg of FLAC tags.

Don't know if this makes a difference, but you can only rate the track that is now playing. There is no option on the device to flip through your music library and rate songs. Might be a nice addition to the wishlist, though.

I have no experience with rating systems on other devices, so I can't tell you how it compares. But so far I'm happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the post. Well can you play tracks from a genre regardless of the rating system? Like can I tell it to play me only electronic music? Or better yet, can I have it play me a subgenre?

Also, can you create your own folders with the vibez?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 PM

Genre, yes. Sub-genre, no.

You can create any folder structure you like. And it supports 4 different playlist types, including m3u.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:50 PM

Can anyone compare the vibe's rating system versus other mp3 players? Better or worse? Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 08:57 PM

Not trying to divert traffic away from abi, but I think you're more likely to get replies over on Head-Fi's Portable Audio board (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/). I just don't think too many owners of other players are likely to venture into a TrekStor sub-forum.

Good luck.