android
Old 05-17-2006, 10:51 AM
ABI Founder

Default FM Radio on EU Version

SanDisk has told some people that the FM Radio can be activated on the EU version of the e200 by updating the firmware with the US version. A user commented that she could not load the US firmware on the EU version of the e200 because it detected that it had already been loaded with EU firmware.

Now i am almost positive that these players are identical in the inside, so the FM hardware should be present in the EU version. It would just be a matter of firmware for activating the FM in the EU e200.

Anyway, there should be a way around this, a hack or trick of some sort. Have any of you EU users tried upgrading to the US firmware?

Edit: It is not that the firmware doesnt load, it is that European IP addresses are blocked from downloading the US firmware. So let us know if you get the FM working where it is not supposed to be.

Update: The hardware neccesary for FM operation is missing from the EU version of the e200. It is not possible to get the radio to work on the EU version.

Last edited by EnzoTen; 08-01-2006 at 05:54 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2006, 02:05 PM

i would love to answer that question but the e270 isnt out here yet... i thought the radio function is activated anyway on the eu version. i thought that the eu version was not able to record radio station music as such.. oh well. it is really annoying me how sansa ruined my view of this player with their constant FW problems...

Old 05-17-2006, 03:39 PM

Hmm, according to the german SanDisk support, the e270 here will have the FM Radio and the possibility to record radio as well.
But as schnupi said, the player is not out yet so who knows if this is true...

Old 05-19-2006, 07:32 AM

I live in the UK and ordered a 260 from expansys (uk online retailer). It arrived a couple of days ago. I can confirm that my 260 has a radio and I can record from it. In case this helps it had firmware 01.00.12A (the latest) already installed.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:52 AM

I bought the e260 from a local retailer in Sweden and there is no FM radio available on the player. It has a firmware numbered 01.00.12 (without the A at the end). If someone could provide me with the non-EU version of the firmware I will update the player and report back if I can get the FM radio going.
If you have the non-EU firmware available please send me a PM for my email address.

/Jaer

Old 05-21-2006, 11:19 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaer
I bought the e260 from a local retailer in Sweden and there is no FM radio available on the player. It has a firmware numbered 01.00.12 (without the A at the end). If someone could provide me with the non-EU version of the firmware I will update the player and report back if I can get the FM radio going.
If you have the non-EU firmware available please send me a PM for my email address.

/Jaer
Jaer Check your PM

Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 AM

Here's some infos about the warranty- there should be no probs for u Germans who bought yr. players in the USA.

You may now return your defective product to a SanDisk distributor in your country. This has been implemented to save customer shipping costs to the USA.

It is recommended that you package your device in a padded, tamper-resistant mailing envelope and also have your self-paid package insured. This will provide a tracking number in case the package is lost.

PLEASE CONTACT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING SANDISK DISTRIBUTORS and they will inform you of the procedure for replacing your product.

Duttenhofer GmbH - Germany
Email: sandisk@duttenhofer.de
Tel: +49-931-9708-147
Fax: +49-931-9708-159

HAMA GmgH & Co. - Germany
Email: hama@hama.de
Tel: +49-9091-502-0
Fax: +49-9091-502-290

Ingram Micro Distribution GmbH - Germany
Tel: +49-89-4208-1666

Optimal Foto - Germany
Tel: +49 4744/821871

Hope you won't need to get it replaced. You would get a player without the radio, so I've been told by Sandisk.

Have fun, Bob

Old 11-15-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintzer
Hope you won't need to get it replaced. You would get a player without the radio, so I've been told by Sandisk.
Even if the player is sold in Germany with FM tuner? No chance!

Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 AM

Big thanks to Mintzer re warranty!!

In the meantime, I've got my sansa 280.
Good news: the tuner works just great, better that in my old player, so I am happy with this device so far.
Bad news: I had to pay 50 EUR = more than $60 taxes and duties, what a brazenness!! All in all I have paid $179.99 for player, $14 for the "travel kit", $10.50 shipping to Europe, plus 50 EUR for the customs... makes 215 EUR -- not cheap... but still OK as amazon.de sells EU version for 199 Euro without tuner.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vygi
Big thanks to Mintzer re warranty!!

In the meantime, I've got my sansa 280.
Good news: the tuner works just great, better that in my old player, so I am happy with this device so far.
Bad news: I had to pay 50 EUR = more than $60 taxes and duties, what a brazenness!! All in all I have paid $179.99 for player, $14 for the "travel kit", $10.50 shipping to Europe, plus 50 EUR for the customs... makes 215 EUR -- not cheap... but still OK as amazon.de sells EU version for 199 Euro without tuner.
Hi Vygi,

& don't mention it. Glad to read that yr. tuner is working fine in Germany. I'm staying put and I'm waiting till the retailers have the AM/FM Sansa in stock. All in all I will have to pay about € 225,-- for the gadget so you've done very well getting yrs. shipped over for less. Pity about the duty- a rip off! That's why I decided to wait. Do you have any problems with the volume? I often read that the Sansa wasn't loud enough...

Macht's gut!

Bob

Old 11-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

Hi m8s,

funny to watch that.

I were proud and happy to have a tuner in my e260, but folks its an mp3 player that we have in our hands !!!

If we need a radio sit in your car or living room and turn it on

Just an reminder, dont want to start a discussion LOL

PAC

PS: I had a radio

Old 11-25-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Do you have any problems with the volume? I often read that the Sansa wasn't loud enough...
Hey Bob,
yes, my e280 is loud enough, usually I listen at 60%, never need more than 80% (still with defaut sandisk headphones). In the new firmware, there is a possibility to set volume to "high" and I can imagine that sansa had volume problems in the past, with older FW, which did not have this setting.
The sansa tuner is better (more sensitive) than Creative Zen Micro BTW (my workmate has one), and I (still) very satisfied with my gadget. 8GB almost full and still fast navigation etc.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vygi
Hey Bob,
yes, my e280 is loud enough, usually I listen at 60%, never need more than 80% (still with defaut sandisk headphones). In the new firmware, there is a possibility to set volume to "high" and I can imagine that sansa had volume problems in the past, with older FW, which did not have this setting.
The sansa tuner is better (more sensitive) than Creative Zen Micro BTW (my workmate has one), and I (still) very satisfied with my gadget. 8GB almost full and still fast navigation etc.
Hi again,

can you tell me which retailer sent you your sansa and how long the "journey" took? Does anyone else know of any sites within the EU that sell the sansa e280 with the radio?

Rock on! Bob

Old 11-30-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
can you tell me which retailer sent you your sansa and how long the "journey" took? Does anyone else know of any sites within the EU that sell the sansa e280 with the radio?
I have bought it on amazon.com with American shipping address. A friend of mine sent me to me then. Amazon does not ship Electronics to Europe.

PIXMANIA (http://www.pixmania.com/) is available in 28 European countries and claims to have quite chap radio sansas (e280 in Germany for 199 EUR or in UK for 134 GBP).

Several other German sites offer now e2x0 with radio as well, eg. http://www.mp3-player.de/artikel.php?ArtNr=4517&id=122 (delivery time 10-14 days, shipping to different EU countries available) or http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/...qesz/page.html ("coming soon, we'll keep you informed by e-mail").

Need more?...

In any case, I would double-check availability of FM before ordering!

Old 11-26-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
I often read that the Sansa wasn't loud enough...
It's louder than you can bear.

Shine On, Frank

Old 11-27-2006, 04:29 PM

If you live in Europe and you really want the Sansa e200 with radio you can buy one from http://english.megastore.se

Old 11-30-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoodar
If you live in Europe and you really want the Sansa e200 with radio you can buy one from http://english.megastore.se
Hi, can you please send me the exact link? There is no sign of mp3 players on this site as far as I can see.

Bob

Old 12-02-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Hi, can you please send me the exact link? There is no sign of mp3 players on this site as far as I can see.

Bob

Hmmm, it seems like they have deleted the link...

Old 12-26-2006, 03:33 PM

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multim...uner-Option/p1

Old 12-29-2006, 06:35 PM

Sandisk this press release:
SanDisk Offers FM Tuner On Award Winning Sansa MP3 Players Across Europe To Give Consumers Freedom Of Choice

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/Pre...e.aspx?ID=3645