android
Old 06-24-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Help installing Rockbox

Hello everyone,

I am having some trouble installing Rockbox on my e280. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. I read the manual and did the following:

1) I put the player into MSC mode

2) I downloaded chrisjs' DockPod AA build and extracted it straight to my Sansa root folder (ie G:\), so I now have a "rockbox" folder with all the folders and the rockbox.mi4 file. The manual stated I should have a "/.rockbox" folder, but Windows won't let me rename the folder to ".rockbox"

3) I downloaded sansapatcher.exe from the link in the manual and installed the bootloader sucessfully.

When I restart my player, the rockbox bootloader comes up, but I get the following messages:

Can't load rockbox.mi4:
File not found

Can't load rockbox.e200:
File not found

I can still boot into the original FW using the " |<< " button.

What is the file structure on the Sansa supposed to be? Do I need to take everything out the rockbox folder or do I need to rename the folder to ".rockbox"? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmart View Post
Hello everyone,

I am having some trouble installing Rockbox on my e280. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. I read the manual and did the following:

1) I put the player into MSC mode

2) I downloaded chrisjs' DockPod AA build and extracted it straight to my Sansa root folder (ie G:\), so I now have a "rockbox" folder with all the folders and the rockbox.mi4 file. The manual stated I should have a "/.rockbox" folder, but Windows won't let me rename the folder to ".rockbox"

3) I downloaded sansapatcher.exe from the link in the manual and installed the bootloader sucessfully.

When I restart my player, the rockbox bootloader comes up, but I get the following messages:

Can't load rockbox.mi4:
File not found

Can't load rockbox.e200:
File not found

I can still boot into the original FW using the " |<< " button.

What is the file structure on the Sansa supposed to be? Do I need to take everything out the rockbox folder or do I need to rename the folder to ".rockbox"? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
There's a thread around here somewhere that will show you what to do it should be stickied
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 06-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Renaming the .rockbox folder to anything but .rockbox will prevent you from booting.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 AM

The zip file I downloaded has a ".rockbox" folder in it, but the folder was automatically renamed to "rockbox" (without the . in front) when I unzipped it to the player. Everytime I try to rename it to ".rockbox", Windows says I need to have a filename. Is there a way in Windows to have a . as the first character in a folder name?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:57 AM

The zip program I use, Powerarchiver, has no problem keeping the folder name with the "." in front of it. Neither does IZArc. I did try removing the "." (I have a copy of the folder on my computer) and indeed it wouldn't let me name it back. Maybe you need to try a different zip program. Both of the ones I mentioned above are freeware and easily found through Google.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 PM

I use winrar and it extracts correctly.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:23 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I found a way to make a .rockbox folder on my player using the command line and the mkdir command. For some reason, Windows allows folder names to start with "." but the GUI doesn't. I was using IZArc to extract it, but Windows always renamed it.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:06 AM

What flavor of Windows are you using? It really shouldn't be doing that. I can see this causing problems the next time you update Rockbox, which you're going to want to do sooner or later.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 PM

OddBob

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 using IZArc 3.6. I tried to extract the zip again after I updated to IZArc 3.81, but the folder was still renamed. My guess is that there is some setting in Windows that I forgot to enabe/disable that would allow me to name a folder with a . in the beginning. Updating Rockbox should not be a problem as long as I don't delete the .rockbox folder (but it is trickier than the way it should be).

Old 06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Zune Moderator

same here and i have the same problem

Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 AM

well if its any consolation once you have the .rockbox folder all you have to do next time is copy the indiviudal folders that are needed into the .rockbox folder. No reason to copy the whole folder. The folders that are needed from my experiences are (codecs, codepages, docs, eqs, viewers, rockbox-info, tagnavi.config, viewers.config, rockbox.mi4, and rocks). This also allows you to keep your themes, recpresets, wps, and backdrops. Works fine for me.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:08 AM

Hi,
just faced the same problem. Under Windows, you can just go to the DOS invite command line and type:
Quote:
rename rockbox .rockbox
Just tried it and it works fine.

Cheers.
Houchy

Old 02-05-2012, 06:23 AM

Did you happen to see the date on the thread you replied to, 06-28-2007 and the member you replied to hasn't been around since 2009.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc