abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa e200 Mac & Linux (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Sansa e200 and Mac? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944)

shiven 07-10-2006 05:13 AM

Sansa e200 and Mac?

Ok, i realise that i'm going to get flamed for even considering this- but get over it :).

incidentally this is my first post ^-^

Ok, quite frankly i'm a recentally converted Mac user. I also found the Sansa e270 Mp3 Player on the front of a catalogue, and thought "thats the mp3 player i want to replace my 3rd generation ipod".

Being someone who isn't deterred easily, i saw the warning signs all over the sandisk site, ebay, everything else i found on the sansa that said "Recommended Windows XP". Quite frankly- i don't buy it.

Now i want information before i actually commit to doing this to make sure i'm not undertaking more than i could handle;

- To upload files onto the sansa you can just dump the files on the drive, correct?

- What format do videos use (and res's fps if possible (not necessary but hey, it might be nice :))?

- Can pictures just be uploaded by drag and drop on the drive?

- is there a windows application for firmware updates, or is it done on-drive or...?

- Is there anything i'm missing?

I realise alot of this is covered on the forums, and i have been through the forums, but i thought it'd be best to ask clearly, so i don't get an impression that could be incorrect.

Thanks in advance-

Shiven

P.S: could we keep the anti-mac sentiment to a minimum? i'm here for information not a flamewar :p

Tim 07-10-2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiven
- To upload files onto the sansa you can just dump the files on the drive, correct?

Yep

Quote:

- What format do videos use (and res's fps if possible (not necessary but hey, it might be nice :))?

It plays .MOV files, JPEG-B encoding. Check out hamchoba's post in this thread.

Quote:

- Can pictures just be uploaded by drag and drop on the drive?

I don't think anyone's figured out what format they use yet. I might play around with this later today.

Quote:

- is there a windows application for firmware updates, or is it done on-drive or...?

It's a self-extracting .exe.. but you could easily use a friend's Windows computer to do it. It doesn't take very long and it isn't very hard.

Quote:

- Is there anything i'm missing?

you tell me ;)

shiven 07-10-2006 09:34 AM

Excellent! Thanks Tim for the prompt and curteous reply. As for the firmware update on windows thing... well... i'll work out a way around that.

I figure media player playlists wont be too hard to reverse engineer, playlists are just files that point to other files with proper paths...

i'm going to get me a sansa very soon *beams*

Thanks guys

vijaja 07-10-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Call me nuts but...

Well, if you insist...

Nuts! :D

isansa 07-10-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Someone already replied "Yep" but, if it puts you at ease, I'll reiterate that. I just drag and drop my mp3s from Mac OS X to an e260 and things are working OK.

You will also end up with the omnipresent Apple Double files on the Sansa but you can delete them. That is, every foo.mp3 file will have an invisible associated ._foo.mp3 file.

Don't do this unless you're comfortable with the command line. "rm" can be dangerous (remove files you actually want to keep) if you're not careful with your typing. Open a shell (terminal.app) and:
1. cd /Volumes/Sansa\ e270/MUSIC
to change directory to your music files.
2. ls -a
to see all the files, including those that begin with "."
3. rm ._*
will remove (delete) every file that begins with ._
4. ls -a
to see if you missed anything.
You can also remove the .DS_Store files with
5. rm .DS_Store

I do music only so I can't address your other questions. There are playlist limitations on the e200 series that are Mac independent: you can't just organize lists by folders and sub-folders. There is only one playlist possible ("go"?). Etc.

BTW, your subject "Call me nuts" is useless. If someone has Mac Qs or issues they will miss this thread. Try to use descriptive phrases that are useful.

Tim 07-10-2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

I figure media player playlists wont be too hard to reverse engineer, playlists are just files that point to other files with proper paths...

This guy posted what sounds like a very convenient utility here. I don't use playlists, but skimming through his post I guess the Sansa uses .pla files. It should be pretty easy to make em if you look up their format.

xatax 07-10-2006 03:40 PM

Please use more descriptive thread titles as isansa already pointed out.

Thank you.

Thread title changed.

shiven 07-10-2006 08:44 PM

sorry for the stupid thread title- i was half asleep when i wrote it.

isansa: terminal isn't an issue for me- i used linux for 4 1/2 years before moving to mac osx :D

Yeah, dot files can be an issue with this sort of thing, but i figure a couple of scripts wont go astray to cleaning it up ;)

Tim: thanks for the link, doesn't look too complicated... well compared to the scheme of things...

Thanks guys (girls) and otherwise :)

weizenking 07-11-2006 05:30 AM

Hello, it is my first post in this Forum. My english is not so good. I`m a Mac-User an I bought the Sansa e260 several weeks ago. To sync my Sansa with iTunes I use a Freeware Program named SyncTunes, wich you can find under the following link:

http://www.nesfield.co.uk/synctunes/index.html

It works perfect for me, and you don`t have to deal with .ds-files!

andcheese 07-11-2006 12:33 PM

I use a mac and synctunes and it seems to work fine.

I've only had my e270 for about 24 hours, but that's I did the initial load. It also handles m3u playlists, but I haven't played with them yet...

bburge

isansa 07-12-2006 05:39 AM

Quote:

isansa: terminal isn't an issue for me- i used linux for 4 1/2 years before moving to mac osx :D

Yeah, dot files can be an issue with this sort of thing, but i figure a couple of scripts wont go astray to cleaning it up ;)

Then I guess I might be asking YOU for help!

Here's an issue I've encountered: Even tho' I delete all the ._* files, there are sometimes a few that remain ("ghost files"?) at the top of the Music > Songs list no matter how many times I delete or move the .DS_Store files. I can't figure out a way to remove those "ghosts" using the Mac CLI alone. There's some other kind of solution that involves a Sansa reset. Quoting from here:

"Reset Database without formatting
If you have problems with the database (like ghost files) there is no need to format the whole player. Switch the player in MSC-mode (Settings->USB Mode) and connect it to your pc. If you haven't already done so, activate hidden files (here is a guide how to do this). Now go to your Sansa. You should see some new folders there after you activated the hidden files. Go to System\Data\ and delete the Pp5000.dat. After you unplugged the player it should rebuild the complete database."

I haven't tried that yet on my 3 remaining ._* files.

shiven 07-12-2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isansa
Then I guess I might be asking YOU for help!

Tricky problem- i haven't encountered that honestly, although it sounds as if the dot files have incorporated themselves into the database somehow...

to avoid it i guess would be to delete the dot files before the database rebuilds, but you can't be expected to do that every time.

I had a quick look into it, and was going to slap up a script to just remove all '.' files, until i saw that someone already had a solution with 'SyncTunes'.

If SyncTunes ends up being botched, i'll write up a script- i still haven't got my sansa yet (waiting until e280s come around here, where here is Australia :P), but i'll write up a script if you need it.

Anyway, get back to me about how your problem goes, be sure to wipe the . files at the same time as the database file, as should be pretty obvious =)

Shiven

Edit: Script turned out easier than i thought it would. Its only one command, but everyone loves doubleclick! >_<

as stated before, i don't have a sansa, but i've run tests on the script and the behavior you've described and it works well.

Copy it into a txt file (not RTF!), remove the .txt extention, and put it in your music folder on your sansa, chmod a+rwx (add permissions so that it can be run as an executable) and double click.

********************************* <snip>

#!/bin/bash

# make a log
ls -a > log.txt

# find all .*.mp3 files in the current directory and remove

find . -maxdepth 1 -name ".*.mp3" -exec rm {} \;

********************************** <snip>

at some point, i swear i'll learn applescript... until then :D

good luck! hope this helps!

isansa 07-28-2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

I had a quick look into it, and was going to slap up a script to just remove all '.' files, until i saw that someone already had a solution with 'SyncTunes'.

Is SyncTunes supposed to be able to make selectable Playlists? I've tried it two ways and neither way works.

Method A:
1 Connect Sansa to Mac.
2 Create a playlist in iTunes.
3 Launch SyncTunes
4 Select playlist from iTunes
5 Select destination "PLAYLISTS" on Sansa
6 Sync

A playlist called "ST - listname.m3u" ("ST" = SyncTunes) and ALL the mp3 files are copied to the PLAYLIST folder. Nothing is selectable. Had to manually move the music (.mp3) files from PLAYLISTS to MUSIC.

Method B:
1 - 4 as above, except
5 Select destination "MUSIC" on Sansa
6 Sync

All the files are copied to MUSIC, including the "ST - listname.m3u" file. The music is there and playable but the playlist cannot be accessed (not visible in the Sansa Music menu).

On the plus side, SyncTunes does not leave the AppleDouble "._" or ".DS_Store" files on the Sansa.

Added before posting: According to another thread, this one, it is necessary to convert .m3u playlist format to PLP format. If I can find a Mac OS X converter, I'll post again.

andcheese 07-28-2006 04:32 PM

Synctunes does not make Sansa usable playlists. They are m3u files and the Sansa needs pla/plp files.

Yes, the nice thing about it is that it doesn't leave OS X .* files behind.

If you use Finder to remove that OS X files, they get recreated immediately. It's like using a match to put out a fire. The os adds some of these files at volume mount time and Finder creates the rest when you access/change the directory using Finder.

There are some methods of cleaning them out with scripts and utilities. If you're uncomfortable using the shell, search http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/ and you should find some other cleaners.

bburge

gpclay 08-26-2006 12:59 PM

e260 Not Showing In "Volumes"

Recently made the switch to mac from a 1998-era Gateway AFTER purchasing the e260 to replace a dead Rio Cali (durned power switch problems). When I plug the e260 into the USB port, the player shows the "Connected" screen and the battery charges, but the e260 does not appear anywhere on the computer as connected (I think they're called "Volumes" on the mac...) Any ideas? Any help is gratefully appreciated!

psaux 08-26-2006 02:44 PM

A converter that might work for you OSX people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by isansa
Is SyncTunes supposed to be able to make selectable Playlists? I've tried it two ways and neither way works.

Method A:
1 Connect Sansa to Mac.
2 Create a playlist in iTunes.
3 Launch SyncTunes
4 Select playlist from iTunes
5 Select destination "PLAYLISTS" on Sansa
6 Sync

A playlist called "ST - listname.m3u" ("ST" = SyncTunes) and ALL the mp3 files are copied to the PLAYLIST folder. Nothing is selectable. Had to manually move the music (.mp3) files from PLAYLISTS to MUSIC.

Method B:
1 - 4 as above, except
5 Select destination "MUSIC" on Sansa
6 Sync

All the files are copied to MUSIC, including the "ST - listname.m3u" file. The music is there and playable but the playlist cannot be accessed (not visible in the Sansa Music menu).

On the plus side, SyncTunes does not leave the AppleDouble "._" or ".DS_Store" files on the Sansa.

Added before posting: According to another thread, this one, it is necessary to convert .m3u playlist format to PLP format. If I can find a Mac OS X converter, I'll post again.

If you guys are comfortable with scripting, you might want to grab my awk-based m3u converter from here.

I don't have a mac myself, but I'm pretty sure you guys have an awk interpreter on there .... so it should just need the path changed at the top and you should be all set.

Also, I strongly recommend that playlists be made in terms of the files as they are on the Sansa itself ... this greatly simplifies things and tends to avoid the problems the people who're depending on what I glean to be a Windows music manager called Media Monkey keep having.

adscorp 08-26-2006 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psaux
If you guys are comfortable with scripting, you might want to grab my awk-based m3u converter from here.

I don't have a mac myself, but I'm pretty sure you guys have an awk interpreter on there .... so it should just need the path changed at the top and you should be all set.

Also, I strongly recommend that playlists be made in terms of the files as they are on the Sansa itself ... this greatly simplifies things and tends to avoid the problems the people who're depending on what I glean to be a Windows music manager called Media Monkey keep having.

I am conpetent at php, so i can make a web based tool that converts the files based from your script. Is it possible for you to define the variables so i know where you are getting them from?

andcheese 08-27-2006 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpclay
Recently made the switch to mac from a 1998-era Gateway AFTER purchasing the e260 to replace a dead Rio Cali (durned power switch problems). When I plug the e260 into the USB port, the player shows the "Connected" screen and the battery charges, but the e260 does not appear anywhere on the computer as connected (I think they're called "Volumes" on the mac...) Any ideas? Any help is gratefully appreciated!

If it's not showing up as a "mounted volume" , you probably need to go into Settings an and switch the USB Mode from MTP to MSC.

bburge

gpclay 08-27-2006 10:00 AM

Problem Solved!

Brilliant - that did it! I only got the e260 about three weeks ago and only used it in MTP mode. Here's a small follow-up (no big deal - I can add music and that's the important thing!) Every time I disconnect from the iMac, the e260 shows "System Restart" and "Rebuilding Database" I assume that is normal?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

sumx4182 08-27-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpclay
Brilliant - that did it! I only got the e260 about three weeks ago and only used it in MTP mode. Here's a small follow-up (no big deal - I can add music and that's the important thing!) Every time I disconnect from the iMac, the e260 shows "System Restart" and "Rebuilding Database" I assume that is normal?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

that's normal, I think. I'm pretty sure mine does that after it's disconnected as well.