abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   iriver clix (U10) (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Wall Charger (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759)

ramennoodle 06-29-2006 12:26 PM

Wall Charger

Does anyone own a wall charger for their clix?
I've been looking at many usb chargers on the net but im not sure which to buy. I dont wanna buy one and fry my battery, so if anyone has any recommendations, please help.

Thanks in advance :)

EnzoTen 06-29-2006 12:39 PM

This SIMA charger one works nicely. It is compact and comes with a auto USB charger as well. Plus it is only $14.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...usb-ac-car.jpg

If you want to see more pics, i did a mini review on this product.

ramennoodle 06-29-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoTen
This SIMA charger one works nicely. It is compact and comes with a auto USB charger as well. Plus it is only $14.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...usb-ac-car.jpg

If you want to see more pics, i did a mini review on this product.

have u tested this with the clix
do u know no the volt and amp specs
people say that the clix needs a 5V charger that delivers 2 amps

EnzoTen 06-29-2006 01:42 PM

USB is a standard. Just like your wall outlet is a standard. You do not think twice when plugging lamp, a hair dryer, a toaster, or a blender to your electrical outlets at home. You should have the same mindset with usb.

But, keep in mind that some devices may not charge because there is not enough power getting to them due to underpowered usb ports or mulitple devices plugged into one USB hub.

The only way you can fry your MP3 player or other USB powered device is if the device itself is fulty or you have a faulty power supply or cable.

USB operates at a nominal 5v (4.755.25V) and at 500mA (half of 1 amp). Your clix will indeed recharge via your computers USB ports at 500mA. Now some USB power adapter do go higher than 500mA, but the device will only take as many miliamps as it needs. So if your device only needs 500mA and your charger is 2A (or 2000mA) it will only take 500mA to charger. So there is no worries about frying your player or other device.

Also if you notice that some players charge faster by AC/DC adapter as apposed to USB. This is becuase the USB standard will only supply 500mA as discussed before where as your AC adapter will probably supply between 1.5A and 2A. When some USB devices will see that there is more than 500mA available, they will use more amps to charge faster.

If your clix charges in your computer it will charge in this SIMA adapter.:)

ramennoodle 06-29-2006 08:59 PM

^ thanks a lot. i was really confused becuz everyone was like u need to no the volt specs. i think im gonna get the sima now :)

juuustin 07-02-2006 03:18 AM

Wrong. It does not charge with an AC wall adapter. It is the strangest thing imaginable. I purchased a 5 V, 2 A AC adapter off xpcgear.com. Tried it out and it says USB connected, but the charge animation does not happen. It does not charge. A reviewer on Amazon speculates you need XP to charge and I agree. Also, iriver tech support said no wall charger is available right now. I don't see how this SIMA one can be much different than mine... because mine definitely works (I used it on my phone).

EnzoTen 07-02-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juuustin
Wrong. It does not charge with an AC wall adapter. It is the strangest thing imaginable. I purchased a 5 V, 2 A AC adapter off xpcgear.com. Tried it out and it says USB connected, but the charge animation does not happen. It does not charge. A reviewer on Amazon speculates you need XP to charge and I agree. Also, iriver tech support said no wall charger is available right now. I don't see how this SIMA one can be much different than mine... because mine definitely works (I used it on my phone).

The clix will charge with any standard USB wall charger.

XP is definitly not needed to charge the clix!

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...x-charging.jpg

If the battery is comletely dead it will say it is charging on the screen. If not, it will say usb connected but it is still charging. iriver tech said there is not wall charger available because iriver does not make one. Like i said before USB = USB... it does not matter.

juuustin 07-02-2006 11:35 PM

So it is definitely charging even without the charging animation?

Sorry then! But I'm glad I thought it didn't work on my first purchase.. I bought a $30 PowerBlock and returned it, but then I got something online for $16 with shipping, and to return it would be a loss of money, so I held onto it. Glad I did!

Thanks for the clarification. Why doesn't it animate? How will I know when it is done charging then?

juuustin 07-05-2006 02:46 AM

If it charges with any standard USB charger, can you explain why my clix went from two bars to one bar while on the charger? My adapter works though, because like I said, I used it on my phone.

USB is not as standard as you say....

DLF 07-05-2006 09:51 AM

Standards have ranges, and for power over USB, it's 0-2 amps (0 to 2000 mA). I think that the clix needs 0.5 amp (500 mA) to charge and the PowerBlock yields only 0.4 (400 mA). I have seen the clix charge properly *without* displaying the charging animation, but if it does display it, you'd be assured that it's charging.

HTH,

juuustin 07-05-2006 11:21 PM

Actually the PowerBlock does yield .5 amps, but that's not even what I am using. I am using a 5 volt 2 amp charger that *works!*. It does not make any sense that it doesn't charge.

locoz 07-08-2006 02:47 AM

I own a clix and the sima charger EnzoTen has. The charger works perfectly with Sandisk Sansa e250 that I also own. I also tested it with the mobiblu 1500i and Samsung z5 and it works great.

Unfortunately, it only charges the clix when the battery is completely dead. I have tried to charge it when the battery still have some juice left, but it does not work. The player simply shows "USB connected" but the player does not get charged. I left the player 'charging' like this for 2 hours, but it did not charge.

I believe is Iriver's fault and they should fix this or sell and adapater that does work. I love the clix, but this is annoying.

n2x 07-08-2006 02:09 PM

My sister owns a clix, and when we tried to charge it with a conventional wall charger, we encountered the same problem as mentioned above - it didn't charge.

However, when it *does* charge when the battery is completely dead, how long does it charge for? Until you remove the player? Can you get a full charge from it, or does it only give it a little juice?

And since USB chargers are standard, this method should work with all USB wall adapters, I presume?

locoz 07-08-2006 05:53 PM

The sima charger that I own takes about 2 hours to fully charge the player when the battery is completely dead. It gives you a full charge.

EnzoTen 07-09-2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2x
My sister owns a clix, and when we tried to charge it with a conventional wall charger, we encountered the same problem as mentioned above - it didn't charge.

However, when it *does* charge when the battery is completely dead, how long does it charge for? Until you remove the player? Can you get a full charge from it, or does it only give it a little juice?

And since USB chargers are standard, this method should work with all USB wall adapters, I presume?

I plugged mine in over night and it was full charged in the morning, so i am not sure how long it took. Perhaps i am wrong and mine did not charge when plugged in but discharged and then started to charge when it was completely dead like you are talking about. I will check it again... but i also have a few other chargers i will try out.

gmarino 07-13-2006 11:52 PM

Clix will NOT charge if WMP v10+ is not available.

I am away from my home PC and I cannot get my Clix to recharge on someone else's PC. I share my story below...and trust me - it may get you as angry at iRiver as I am now. Why? Cause I think that the Clix disables the charging function if it does not find a valid WMP to connect to - possibly a ploy by iRiver to ensure that you cannot use a USB Wall Charger to charge the unit.

It seems as though the Clix is programmed to check through the USB connection for the existence of a valid WMP v10 or higher and if it does not find it, IT DISABLES the charging mechanism! It seems that if you do not have access to a PC with a "valid" WMP application, this disabling behavior can only be bypassed by actually draining the entire battery and then hooking it up to any USB-based power souce.

And now...my story...

I bought my Clix on Sunday - just before leaving on a week long trip out of town. I connect the Clix to my Laptop at home, started up my WMP v10 and transferred all my music/podcasts to the player AND was able to fully charge the Clix. All was well and good.

Then while on my trip, the battery ran down showing no bars - just the brackets. (I think I left it on 1 or 2 nights - all night long - chaulk it up to being a newbie.) So I plugged my Clix into a friend's PC to charge it and left it there overnight. The display showed "USB Connected" and just the empty brackets for the Battery (indicating that it was almost dead). I assumed it was charging. (Remember, I am a newbie with this Clix)

I got to it the next morning and...it was not charged! WHY???!!!! I then realized that the Battery icon in the upper righthand side of the screen was not displaying the animated battery charging (a flashing lightening bolt) and therefore the unit was probably not charging.

My friend's PC is running WMP v8. In addition, their PC starts up the "New Hardware Wizard" when I connect my Clix to it - but it says it cannot find any driver to install for the iRiver Clix.

So I searched on various forums (mysticriver, etc) and read about some people having similar issues...and others using USB Wall Chargers or a powered USB Hub to charge their Clix. So I went to the local Walmart and found a powered USB 2.0 Hub and plugged the clix into it. The result was the same. The display showed "USB Connected" and just the empty brackets for the Battery. The Battery icon in the upper righthand side of the screen was not displaying the animated battery charging (flashing lightening bolt).

So I got frustraited. Then something strange happened. The unit was on and not USB connected and it finally after a couple of minutes it ran out of power and shut down. Then, on a fluke, I plugged it into the USB Hub...AND IT STARTED TO CHARGE!!! The unit first showed the LOW BATTERY screen while it was trying to restart and connect to the USB it detected (the restart was unsuccesful due to the Low Battery condition). Then the clix went immediately to the CHARGING Screen and started to charge the battery! After a couple of minutes, I removed the Cable and saw that indeed the unit had taken a charge - something it had not done earlier when connected to the powered hub. You knew it started charing cause the first bar on the battery was on.

So I decided to run another test. I drained the battery and forced the unit to shutdown due to LOW BATTERY. Then I plugged the unit into my friends PC...AND IT STARTED TO CHARGE!!! The unit first showed the LOW BATTERY screen (while it was trying to restart and connect to the USB it detected) and then went immediately to the CHARGING Screen and started to charge the battery. And there it sits now as I type this message - charging.

So, what have I learned here? Well, it seems as though the Clix is programmed to check for the existence of a valid WMP v10 or higher and if it does not find it, IT DISABLES the charging mechanism! It seems that if you do not have access to a PC with a "valid" WMP application, this disabling behavior can only be bypassed by actually draining the entire battery and then hooking it up to any USB-based power souce.

And Yes I am on the lastest Firmware version.

Please, chime in here with your experiences and let me know if you think I've stumbled onto something here.

Thanks,

Greg

DLF 07-14-2006 11:26 AM

That's pretty close to my experience with one important difference: Mine won't charge PERIOD unless it's fully drained. WMP9, WMP10, WMP11, doesn't matter at all. Since I have two computers at home and three at work, all with USB ports, I don't really care. I got used to draining rechargeable batteries completely back in the days of NiCads, so it's no big deal to me. I just drain clix fully and then recharge it fully every time. If I've simply got to have access to some portable music in the 3 hours, I use my older Cowon player.

gmarino 07-14-2006 11:00 PM

Having to fully drain the battery before you can recharge it and NOT having the option to be able switch out spent batteries with fresh ones is unacceptable as far as I am concerned. My old iRiver IFP-899 ran on a rechargeable AA battery. If I ever ran out of battery during my 3 hour bike ride, I could easily pop out the spent battery and replace it with a fully charged battery and go on my merry way. With this "limitation", I cannot no longer do ANYTHING to ensure that my Clix will survive through my 3 hour ride when the battery is starting to run low...

germ 07-18-2006 05:08 PM

Thank you everyone for your findings on this topic. I've been researching the Clix for a couple weeks to determine if it's right for me, and this wall-charger/100% drained/WMP issue is the one thing preventing me from buying the device. When I'm on vacation, with no computer in sight, I want to be able to use this. And I don't want to have to micromanage my battery life on the unit.

The car FM Transmitter/Charger isn't ideal either. I don't want to leave the device in my car just to charge it.

Hopefully iriver will come out with a solution for this. Either a wall charger, or a firmware update which eliminates the charging requirement of WMP and thus allows charging via USB hubs (with no PC involved).

DLF 07-20-2006 10:06 AM

Amen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by germ
Thank you everyone for your findings on this topic. I've been researching the Clix for a couple weeks to determine if it's right for me, and this wall-charger/100% drained/WMP issue is the one thing preventing me from buying the device. When I'm on vacation, with no computer in sight, I want to be able to use this. And I don't want to have to micromanage my battery life on the unit.

The car FM Transmitter/Charger isn't ideal either. I don't want to leave the device in my car just to charge it.

Hopefully iriver will come out with a solution for this. Either a wall charger, or a firmware update which eliminates the charging requirement of WMP and thus allows charging via USB hubs (with no PC involved).

I hope they do, too. (I don't think WMP is required, but I do think that MTP support is, and WMP10/11 is how most of us get that support.) Charging in general (knowing when it will need it, knowing if it's actually doing it, and knowing if it's mostly vs. completely done) is my biggest gripe with the clix.