abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa e200 Firmware (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   HOW-TO remove the Hebrew beta firmware (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7487)

Slaughter 01-11-2007 09:07 AM

HOW-TO remove the Hebrew beta firmware

Thanks to Zivan56 in the Rockbox sub-forum!

With the Hebrew beta, Sandisk has changed the name of the firmware and rom files for future use. So you have to rename which ever old firmware you want to load to:
pribootLoader.rom and firmware.mi4 (case sensitive)

Then start your player in recovery mode and drop the 2 renamed files on to the 16MB partition that will come up in Recovery Mode.

Turn off the Hold switch and unplug the cable and you are back at your old firmware.

Now if Sandisk only knew this....

jeffrok 01-11-2007 09:09 AM

I can't wait, Slaughter!! I'm at work, and am thinking of playing "sick", just so I can go home and try this.. OK, maybe not that excited, but this is defnitely great news to me!

270, e270! 01-11-2007 11:05 AM

tnx:)

I M so ha-P 2 !!!! :D

just... thank you!!!! :)

Guitar1969 01-11-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter (Post 51913)
Thanks to Zivan56 in the Rockbox sub-forum!

With the Hebre beta, Sandisk has changed the name of the firmware and rom files for future use. So, you have to rename which ever old firmware you want to load to:
pribootLoader.rom and firmware.mi4 (case sensitive)

Then start your player in recovery mode and drop the 2 renamed files on to the 16MB partition that will come up in Recovery Mode.

Turn off the Hold switch and unplug the cable and you are back at your old firmware.

You are officially the man - My e280 has been unbricked -

Amblin 01-11-2007 01:32 PM

Kudos to Slaughter and the Rockbox guys! :)

xan K 01-11-2007 03:33 PM

it's great to hear that!!! congrats men!!!

zivan56 01-11-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter (Post 51913)

If you previously asked them how to do this, just reply to the ticket again and tell them how it is possible.
I bet you they will shit their pants considering we figured it out before them :D

This definitely tells you that support has no contact with the development team, and that they definitely outsourcing one or the other.

Tobey 01-11-2007 03:56 PM

Thank you zivan!! Now how the hell did you figure this out?

And I'm sure the support is provided by a 3rd party company. It almost always is... Sandisk probably provides them with a script, some URLs, and a flowchart. And that's it.

zivan56 01-11-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobey (Post 52091)
Thank you zivan!! Now how the hell did you figure this out?

I used mi4code to extract the key from the new bootloader. Then, I decrypted the new mi4 firmware and used a hex editor to look at various things inside of the firmware. This in turn lead me to two strings which where pribootLoader.rom and firmware.mi4 (near the end of the firmware file)

la-v22 01-11-2007 04:14 PM

can someone help me figure why i dont succeed to enter recovery mode??
i've turned my sanas off then switched the hold button on, pressed the rec button and while im pressing i've plugged the the player to the computer but the player connected to my pc as usual, no recovery mode and no 16mb partition( where i should see that partition anyway??)
what did i did worng??

DooKie 01-11-2007 05:15 PM

umm i never use bootloaders do i really need to get one and change the name to go back to the old firmware or4 can i just do like i used to and just drop the mi4 but instead of calling it pp5022 just call it firmware like you said??? ...btw i dont even have the beta on my player but i wanted to try it so now i can:D

zivan56 01-11-2007 05:16 PM

You can try it out. You should still have recovery mode either way...

la-v22 01-11-2007 05:53 PM

anyway i did the process without getting into recovery mode
ive just putted the two renamed files directly into the player and it works!
thanks everyone for the help! you dont know how happy i am to get rid of that beta firmware...

Tobey 01-11-2007 06:04 PM

Wow. Great work zivan.

LooSE 01-11-2007 06:59 PM

Where can I get my hands on some of the old firmware?

EDIT: I tried the firmware in Slaughter's Sig, however the version on my player cannot be read so it fails to install. :( BTW: It's an e280 (Non R)

jeffrok 01-11-2007 08:10 PM

LooSE, did you make sure you were in recovery mode when you copied in the files? e240, e250, e260, e270 or e280, it really should not matter what type of e200 you have..

I just did it on my e260 and it worked great!

jeffrok 01-11-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la-v22 (Post 52110)
can someone help me figure why i dont succeed to enter recovery mode??
i've turned my sanas off then switched the hold button on, pressed the rec button and while im pressing i've plugged the the player to the computer but the player connected to my pc as usual, no recovery mode and no 16mb partition( where i should see that partition anyway??)
what did i did worng??

If the new Hebrew firmware is in sleep mode before any of this, you have to hold the power button down for 15+ seconds so that it REALLY shuts down. After that:

Put player in Hold mode...
Hold record button down...
While holding down record button, plug in USB cord.
After plugging in USB cord, you may have to hit Power button.

You know you're in recovery mode when your player shows up in Windows as a 16mb device..

Lifter59 01-11-2007 08:36 PM

Well I cannot get into recovery mode for anything in the world. The player has the new firmware and is completely functional - so maybe you can't recover unless it is not working? I have followed the steps several times over - even changed USB ports but to no avail....

Any ideas?

jeffrok 01-11-2007 08:49 PM

Yeah Lifter.. When you press the power button, does it come back on right away? If so, you need to do the "hard power off"..

Without the player being in HOLD mode, press power and hold it for 15 seconds (at least!)..

Now your player is off. Try recovery mode again.

DooKie 01-11-2007 08:51 PM

we've never had to go into recovery mode to change firmware, ppl are going into recovery because the new firmware fucked up their player but if you have a working player just plug it in msc mode and drag and drop, it should work ... have anyone found out if we need to use a boot loader for this or can we just use the mi4?