abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anythingbutiphone (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Microsoft to Buy Nokia (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72754)

aimran 09-03-2013 12:03 AM

Microsoft to Buy Nokia

Microsoft will buy Nokia Devices and Services unit.

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-b...ts-544-billion

Marvin the Martian 09-03-2013 12:32 AM

Makes sense, and may well be mutually beneficial down the road.

Jeven 09-03-2013 05:19 AM

Who would have thought that when Elop joined that Nokia would kill off all their internal smartphone development and end up using Windows Phone?

And that they'd keep on using Windows Phone as their market share dropped along with the value of the company? And that the company would ultimately end up being bought by Microsoft and that Elop would return there?

I mean, who seriously thought all of that was going to happen?

;)

aimran 09-03-2013 10:30 AM

Stephen Elop is currently the frontrunner to replace Steve Ballmer as Microsoft next CEO.

The DarkSide 09-03-2013 12:31 PM

I think this was a good idea, tho I'll never get that Android Nokia phone I was hoping for.

el maco 09-03-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeven (Post 639412)
I mean, who seriously thought all of that was going to happen?

Elop is surely going to be remembered as the man who destroyed the company every Finn was once proud of. However I think this is unfair to say the least. The biggest mistakes were made long before Elop's time. He was called in to rescue the sinking ship but he could not change the course. Its easy to say now it would have been better to pick Android instead of WP. But its questionable whether or not that would have actually changed anything. I mean, Motorola does not exist anymore as an independent company, HTC is struggling despite making great Android phones since day 1, LG isn't doing so well either, etc.

nathan 09-03-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el maco (Post 639431)
Elop is surely going to be remembered as the man who destroyed the company every Finn was once proud of. However I think this is unfair to say the least. The biggest mistakes were made long before Elop's time. He was called in to rescue the sinking ship but he could not change the course. Its easy to say now it would have been better to pick Android instead of WP. But its questionable whether or not that would have actually changed anything. I mean, Motorola does not exist anymore as an independent company, HTC is struggling despite making great Android phones since day 1, LG isn't doing so well either, etc.

I wouldn't say that for certain. LG and Sony smartphone business's both made profit last quarter and both companies sold record amounts of smartphones. Also, HTC One reportedly sold over 5 million units. If Nokia went with Android and kept pushing innovative technology they would have probably made it (not Samsung success but profitable non the less).

el maco 09-03-2013 03:19 PM

Well, my reasoning was that if Apple and Samsung together collect 100% of the profits of the mobile industry, the rest aren't left with much.

aimran 09-03-2013 08:30 PM

According to sources, Microsoft is now eying BlackBerry.

http://www.wpcentral.com/bloomberg-m...berry-purchase

Jeven 09-04-2013 04:50 AM

https://securecdn.disqus.com/uploads...2/original.jpg

Marvin the Martian 09-04-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el maco (Post 639434)
Well, my reasoning was that if Apple and Samsung together collect 100% of the profits of the mobile industry, the rest aren't left with much.

Well, I contributed to LG's 1% share....lol.

The DarkSide 09-04-2013 07:16 AM

I'm trying to help the underdog - Microsoft!!! :D

El C 09-04-2013 08:52 AM

I would love to see more people adopting Windows Phone. The more ecosystems there are, the more choice we have.

It's got a lot of work to win over iOS and Android users, but that's not saying it can't be done.

The DarkSide 09-04-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El C (Post 639466)
I would love to see more people adopting Windows Phone. The more ecosystems there are, the more choice we have.

It's got a lot of work to win over iOS and Android users, but that's not saying it can't be done.

If MS doesn't give up it will eventually happen. It's just a matter of seeing if they throw in the towel, like they did with Zune. It had promise, but not listening to customers did them in. I'm hoping they've learned from their mistakes - and that WP succeeds!!!

Mikerman 09-04-2013 02:06 PM

Unfortunately, what has Microsoft ever purchased that it hasn't bulloxed? There goes the legacy of Nokia phones, I fear . . . .

aimran 09-04-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikerman (Post 639475)
Unfortunately, what has Microsoft ever purchased that it hasn't bulloxed? There goes the legacy of Nokia phones, I fear . . . .

Skype and Yammer???

saratoga 09-05-2013 12:48 PM

Nokia was making really nice products, and if anything was being held back by MS's slow development cycles, byzantine organization, and overall lack of vision. I really hope merging Nokia in brings the better aspects of Nokia to MS rather than the worst aspects of MS to Nokia.

nathan 09-06-2013 12:04 AM

This is an interesting development. A former CEO of Nokia is starting a new company called Newkia. According to the former CEO "We already have a team of senior former Nokia executives ready to run the business, and we are confident that we can attract the talent from those people who want to develop a competitive phone on the Android platform."

Apparently many working at Nokia strongly disagreed with the adoption of Windows mobile and are planning on leaving with the Microsoft buy out.

http://www.androidauthority.com/noki...newkia-264160/

For Windows Mobile to be successful Microsoft really needs to drop the tile or metro user interface. It utterly violates and goes directly against pretty much every known user interface design heuristic rules. From my experience playing around with Win phones and being a daily user of Windows 8 (desktop), I strongly feel that tiles may look pretty and maybe novel at first but they get lame fast. If you have Windows 8 on your desktop I highly recommend classic shell.

dgb52 09-06-2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimran (Post 639479)
Skype and Yammer???

They sure screwed up Skype in Win 8. My Gf bought a laptop with Win 8m

and she cannot even logout its always on. i downgraded to skype 3.8, the newer versions are horrible

Jack4L 09-08-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan (Post 639524)
This is an interesting development. A former CEO of Nokia is starting a new company called Newkia. According to the former CEO "We already have a team of senior former Nokia executives ready to run the business, and we are confident that we can attract the talent from those people who want to develop a competitive phone on the Android platform."

This just sounds like "We want to be rich and in control again, so how about it? Someone want to make phones for us, we think Android might be a popular choice? We can ta- I mean handle all the money for you guys!"