abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Site News & Announcements (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Annoying ad banner (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72746)

Sleep mode zZ 08-31-2013 12:21 PM

Annoying ad banner

I will report that the gray ad banner at the bottom of the browser window annoys me.

1. It is not static - there is a periodic movement when the text links scroll horizontally. I find all moving things really distracting on web pages. With distracting I mean that I start to feel sick. There are neurological reasons for this and it is not a question of learning to live with it.

2. It is possible to click the banner away but because the page zoom settings (180%) it is not possible right away. The X gets intermingled with a text link. I have to wait for it to move its text links once so that the X is clickable. (I'm using Opera but it seems to be the same with Chromium)

3. It will not be effective in getting me to buy anything, it only annoys. As far as ads go, I prefer static pictures.

Is there a way make it to go away?

The DarkSide 08-31-2013 12:55 PM

I'm looking at the damn thing now, and it's really pissing me off. I understand some adds are necessary, but this thing needs to go. Seriously, please have someone remove the annoying shit!!! And when on a tablet or smart phone it's a real BITCH to close the friggin' thing.

Oh, yes, one other thing. After you close it and navigate to another page it pops up again. I'm really getting fucking annoyed with this shit,...

Plus more: When I zoom in on a tablet/smart phone thing increases in size exponentially. Mofo,...

kp-j3 08-31-2013 03:27 PM

I concur. I'm avoiding abi on my mobile because I can't block that crap.

Tapeworm 09-01-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 639347)
I'm looking at the damn thing now, and it's really pissing me off . . . I'm really getting fucking annoyed with this shit,...

+ 1 :mad:

kp-j3 09-02-2013 01:46 PM

Looks like they're gone to me.

FreeZ5 09-02-2013 02:03 PM

ummm...I never saw them. Were they only on mobiles?

Steve

Tapeworm 09-02-2013 02:56 PM

They must've modified them. I just shut one down and it hasn't come back yet even with multiple page changes like it did yesterday. On a PC by the way.

Edit: Just logged out and back in again. The pop-up ad bar came back, but once you close it (during the same log-in session) it stays closed. AND it doesn't scroll anymore.

Still annoying, but tolerable I suppose.
:confused:

The DarkSide 09-02-2013 06:56 PM

We'll see what happens,...annoying as HELL!!!

OriginalGusBus 09-03-2013 08:53 AM

I wouldn't mind it so much if I knew that it was helping the site stay up and encourage people to post new reviews, news and updates... Wink wink, nudge nudge.

OriginalGusBus 09-03-2013 08:53 AM

And by people I mean admins

Tapeworm 09-03-2013 11:03 AM

Just logged in and noticed the offending ad bar across the bottom is gone. Don't know whether it's because I'm on a different computer and/or browser or if management of this forum changed/eliminated it due to the complaints in this thread or PM's.

I'm happy though regardless of the reason. :D

The DarkSide 09-03-2013 12:28 PM

It was gone yesterday, came back, and is popping in and out today.

Sleep mode zZ 09-03-2013 12:28 PM

I still get the ad. And it scrolls (unless the mouse pointer is on the banner).

Tapeworm 09-03-2013 02:28 PM

Not on my end. Lucky me! :cool:

The DarkSide 09-03-2013 04:27 PM

Clear your cache, see if the add goes away.

Sleep mode zZ 09-03-2013 05:43 PM

After my last message, the ad has stayed away. Promising.

Carson Dyle 09-03-2013 06:47 PM

Aw c'mon. Put it back! I wanna see.

The DarkSide 09-03-2013 08:20 PM

I'm on my wife's iPad,...it's on the bottom of the screen. Sucks ballz!!!

Carson Dyle 09-03-2013 09:14 PM

Ah, there it is. Just had to disable Adblock Plus.

Who owns this web site these days? Forum traffic appears to have taken a severe nosedive. They should try to get some users back rather than bombard the ones that are still here.

Sleep mode zZ 09-04-2013 12:29 PM

And now it's here again. Maybe because I have a different IP address than last time? Do my use of Ghostery affect its function? It would be appreciated if someone could tell exactly how the banner determines when it pops out.