abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Headphone User Reviews (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Jvc has400 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72501)

JK98 07-04-2013 09:10 AM

Jvc has400
 
I bought this headphone recently for around $25. It is really superb though, having great detail, strong bass, and nice highs. It reminds me of electrostatic headphones(I never owned those, but did listen to them a few times). This headphone also feels very solidly built. If you blindfold someone and put this headphone on him, he might think it is a $200 headphone. It is supra aural though. I guess my only complaint about this is that I wish it was circumaural and had velour earpads. I hope JVC comes out with something like that soon. On the plus side this is somewhat compact and folds, so it is good for portable use. Buy it. It will be the best $25 or so you spend on headphones.

The DarkSide 07-04-2013 12:06 PM

Do you mean the JVC HA-S400? The sq is said to be fantastic. I'm listening to the HA-S500 right now. It's the next model up, and it's KILLER!!! Marvin loaned me his until mine arrive from Japan. The sq is EXCELLENT!!!

JK98 07-04-2013 12:24 PM

The JVC HA-S400 is easy to find. B&H has it for under $25. The JVC HAS500 still isn't available in the US. On head-fi some said they preferred the HA-S400 to the HA-S500. I never heard the HA-S500 so I can't comment on the differences.

The DarkSide 07-04-2013 01:13 PM

Actually, on head-fi, quite a few who have heard both have stated the S500 is an upgrade. And for about $50 on Amazon you could purchase the S500. That means, even though it's not officially available in the USA, it's still easy to get.

Marvin the Martian 07-04-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 637493)
Actually, on head-fi, quite a few who have heard both have stated the S500 is an upgrade. And for about $50 on Amazon you could purchase the S500. That means, even though it's not officially available in the USA, it's still easy to get.

I do eventually want to get an S400 for myself to compare them, but right now I can't be buying any toys. :(

JK98 07-04-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 637493)
Actually, on head-fi, quite a few who have heard both have stated the S500 is an upgrade. And for about $50 on Amazon you could purchase the S500. That means, even though it's not officially available in the USA, it's still easy to get.

Obviously since it is a more expensive model with a larger driver it is expected that people should prefer the S500. Some did prefer the S400 though. At $50 though the S500 is double the price of the S400. If the S500 isn't that much better though then the S400 is the much better buy.

Marvin the Martian 07-04-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK98 (Post 637496)
Obviously since it is a more expensive model with a larger driver it is expected that people should prefer the S500. Some did prefer the S400 though. At $50 though the S500 is double the price of the S400. If the S500 isn't that much better though then the S400 is the much better buy.

I had the S500 before you could get the S400 here, but I have zero regrets over the price I paid for the S500 ($23.55 + $23.55 shipping). Hard to believe it's almost a year now that I've had them. I ordered my S500 last August 9th.

The DarkSide 07-04-2013 02:25 PM

I'll get their S400 eventually,... Those carbon nanotubes are too good to pass up on. ;)

JK98 07-04-2013 02:28 PM

Having the headphone for a year already is worth the extra $25. For new buyers now though, I am not certain if the HAS500 is worth buying instead of the HAS400 if the HAS500 is double the price. If the HAS500 was available here though for under $40 I might buy one though just out of curiosity. I won't order one from Japan though.

DCY 07-05-2013 04:10 PM

Thanks for the review.
Also just ordered the S400s (they haven't arrived yet). Definitely couldn't pass them up as soon as I found out about them and how they're designed and built (had been looking for the best upgrade that really fits my sound preference for a long while now).

epithetless 07-06-2013 12:35 AM

I have both and find the HA-S400 isn't even worth using with the S500 as an option. The S400 is fine on its own, though, and most definitely a deal for the price. I've read of some folks preferring the signature of the 400, too, but they certainly don't strike my ears that way.

On a separate note, I have to say I don't really understand the expectation that twice the cost should equal twice the sound quality. Besides the fact that improvements in sound quality are often incremental, and price-to-performance ratios are rarely perfectly linear...If the more expensive headphone sounds better, and it still falls within one's acceptable budget, then why spend less for an inferior product?

Marvin the Martian 07-06-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 637572)
I have both and find the HA-S400 isn't even worth using with the S500 as an option. The S400 is fine on its own, though, and most definitely a deal for the price. I've read of some folks preferring the signature of the 400, too, but they certainly don't strike my ears that way.

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/b...2926674024.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 637572)
On a separate note, I have to say I don't really understand the expectation that twice the cost should equal twice the sound quality. Besides the fact that improvements in sound quality are often incremental, and price-to-performance ratios are rarely perfectly linear...If the more expensive headphone sounds better, and it still falls within one's acceptable budget, then why spend less for an inferior product?

http://amuseorbemused.com/wp-content...12-150x150.jpg

JK98 07-07-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 637572)
I have both and find the HA-S400 isn't even worth using with the S500 as an option. The S400 is fine on its own, though, and most definitely a deal for the price. I've read of some folks preferring the signature of the 400, too, but they certainly don't strike my ears that way.

On a separate note, I have to say I don't really understand the expectation that twice the cost should equal twice the sound quality. Besides the fact that improvements in sound quality are often incremental, and price-to-performance ratios are rarely perfectly linear...If the more expensive headphone sounds better, and it still falls within one's acceptable budget, then why spend less for an inferior product?

I don't expect double the quality for double the price, although I guess I want it to be at least SQRT(2)= 1.41 times as good. Yes, I do expect a 41.4% improvement for double the price, but it seems that typically you get less than a 19% improvement for double the price. As for HAS400 vs HAS500, it isn't just the extra $25, but that the HAS400 is easy to buy, but the HAS500 has to be ordered from Japan.

Can you go into some detail about why you like the HAS500 so much better than the HAS400. Is it extra bass impact? More detail?

epithetless 07-07-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK98 (Post 637611)
Can you go into some detail about why you like the HAS500 so much better than the HAS400. Is it extra bass impact? More detail?

Sure, I'll dig my S400s out to refamiliarize myself with them, and then I'll come back with some more detailed impressions. :)

Marvin the Martian 07-08-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 637614)
Sure, I'll dig my S400s out to refamiliarize myself with them, and then I'll come back with some more detailed impressions. :)

Looking forward to reading that post.:)

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...jo_popcorn.gif http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...gifs/yNCVL.gif

Marvin the Martian 07-16-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 637614)
Sure, I'll dig my S400s out to refamiliarize myself with them, and then I'll come back with some more detailed impressions. :)

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/upl...pcorn-gif1.gif

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/upl...pcorn-gif1.gif

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/upl...opcorn-gif.gif

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/upl...opcorn-gif.gif

epithetless 07-16-2013 01:22 PM

http://www.flashissue.com/blog/wp-co...ue-300x230.jpg

Oops, sorry Marv. Been so busy lately, this completely slipped my radar. Stay (patiently) tuned...

Marvin the Martian 07-16-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless (Post 637931)
http://www.flashissue.com/blog/wp-co...ue-300x230.jpg

Oops, sorry Marv. Been so busy lately, this completely slipped my radar. Stay (patiently) tuned...

No worries. ;)

The DarkSide 07-16-2013 03:52 PM

Now I need to know as well,... ;)

JK98 08-06-2013 10:29 AM

Another 3 weeks went by and still no response.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.