abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   well since the sgps are now discontuined :( (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71959)

2kitties 03-23-2013 01:55 AM

well since the sgps are now discontuined :(

i need help in picking another mp3 player.

1. i want to be able to fit in my pocket/purse

2. i want my pmp to play videos

3. music(duh)

4. show album art,

5. have tactile buttons,

6. 8 gb or more

7. play games

8. i want to to have drag and drop ability,

9. i want it to have easy UI,

10. i want there to be an EASY way to get album art on it and show while the music is playing,

11. i want to be able to change the background to album art or my own pics.

12. it has to easy to operate!

13. have a sd slot ( 64 gb would be awesome)

any suggestions? i don't have to have # 11 or 12 but that would be nice. i have looked at the j3 but it look to hard to use.

thanks

Marvin the Martian 03-23-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2kitties (Post 633460)
i have looked at the j3 but it look to hard to use.

thanks

J3 is also discontinued.

Joe_Linux 03-23-2013 02:49 PM

Are there any no contract Android Phones at Walmart that are any good as media players?

2kitties 03-23-2013 09:42 PM

thanks

steinburger1109 03-23-2013 09:47 PM

2kitties, you've been posting around about the SGP for a long time now, what's kept you from getting it so far?

It being discontinued doesn't mean you can't still get one. I plan on getting another if I can find them when my 5 dies.

JK98 03-24-2013 08:42 AM

Have the prices dropped substantially on the SGPs? Are their replacements much better?

skip252 03-24-2013 09:43 AM

There's no longer a online distributor linked from the Samsung galaxy player product page so the price will be what you can find. Refurbs are going at decent prices. I picked up a refurb 4.0 about a month ago for ~$100.

I've been seeing this coming ever since the price dropped on Amazon.uk and other places. Usually when that happens production has ended and the vendors are trying to dump stock before they get undercut by the refurb pricing. You can never be certain but I'd guess that's what happened to trigger the big price drop a few weeks ago on the Fuze+.

There's no replacement so far and it doesn't seem like there will be. Samsung killed off the 5.8 and there's been several reports of emails from them saying the entire line is discontinued. That's not surprising to me.

The Galaxy player is a niche device that can be replaced with a decent no contract or unlocked smartphone. You buy the phone, activate it and just don't buy any minutes for it. Everything works except making calls. You can even make calls if you set up Skype and have a Wifi connection.

mamamia88 03-24-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 633532)
There's no longer a online distributor linked from the Samsung galaxy player product page so the price will be what you can find. Refurbs are going at decent prices. I picked up a refurb 4.0 about a month ago for ~$100.

I've been seeing this coming ever since the price dropped on Amazon.uk and other places. Usually when that happens production has ended and the vendors are trying to dump stock before they get undercut by the refurb pricing. You can never be certain but I'd guess that's what happened to trigger the big price drop a few weeks ago on the Fuze+.

There's no replacement so far and it doesn't seem like there will be. Samsung killed off the 5.8 and there's been several reports of emails from them saying the entire line is discontinued. That's not surprising to me.

The Galaxy player is a niche device that can be replaced with a decent no contract or unlocked smartphone. You buy the phone, activate it and just don't buy any minutes for it. Everything works except making calls. You can even make calls if you set up Skype and have a Wifi connection.

or use a prepaid sim card and skip out on the data.

skip252 03-24-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamia88 (Post 633534)
or use a prepaid sim card and skip out on the data.

That's pretty much my point. A couple of years ago when the SGP first hit the prepaid and unlocked phone scene in the US was different than what it is now.

Back then getting a decent media capable phone meant paying a premium price for the handset, signing into an extended plan or both. There's no reason to do that now if all you really want is a decent wifi connected media player. With a little research you can find a decent last gen phone unlocked for a lot less than what it was new. Going with a no-contract phone and not getting a data plan does the same thing and you get the full warranty.

That lets me consider buying a refurb 4.0 as having something to keep the kids amused that's better than my old Fuze. I think it's a decent media player but even at the sometimes discounted prices I was seeing when was in production I thought it cost too much for it to be a toy.

The DarkSide 03-24-2013 05:00 PM

2kitties, you've constantly asked for advice. Have you listened to any of it? You asked about this player for, I believe, a year or better. I'll refrain from giving you advice because it's wasted,....

Take care.

arromdee 03-30-2013 12:53 AM

So what is there available in the way of phones usable as MP3 players which
-- have good battery life
-- can take a 64G SDXC card? (I have old time radio MP3s and I like to put sets of them on my player, which uses a lot of space)

steinburger1109 03-30-2013 12:50 PM

Basically any phone that can take a microSD card can handle SDXC, just format it in the device first. As for battery life, I'm not sure.

2kitties 04-04-2013 08:50 PM

i was thinking of getting it but i would have to save for the sg5. so i got a sandisk clip for now (i lost it) then i found out the sg5 is discontuinted so why bother getting it when it won't be updated.

kdogzxc 08-08-2013 10:37 AM

The creative Zen Touch 2 seams to be comparable. I have not used one but it has all the same specs as my the sgp4 but it is a little smaller, all though its cheaper. http://au.creative.com/p/mp3player/zen-touch-2-with-gps

Jeven 08-08-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdogzxc (Post 638725)
The creative Zen Touch 2 seams to be comparable. I have not used one but it has all the same specs as my the sgp4 but it is a little smaller, all though its cheaper. http://au.creative.com/p/mp3player/zen-touch-2-with-gps

That Creative looks like it sucks: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Touch.../dp/B004EVV3L6

Marvin the Martian 08-08-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeven (Post 638726)

Agreed!

BruceBanner 08-09-2013 07:46 AM

Leave my poor Creative buddies alone!

The DarkSide 08-09-2013 09:18 AM

Creative sux,... :p