abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Player Series (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   What Will You Replace Your Galaxy Player With? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71899)

MrVivona 03-13-2013 02:18 PM

What Will You Replace Your Galaxy Player With?

I own a Samsung Galaxy Player 5 (SGP5) and use it every day, with over 80 downloaded apps, all of which run flawlessly. The screen size has been a perfect compromise of readability versus portability. So, you can understand my reaction to the news in another thread that Samsung is discontinuing the product line. To see what Samsung would say to verify or deny this, I emailed Samsung USA Customer Support and they replied:

We appreciate you contacting Samsung Electronics and being a valued customer. We understand that you would like to know if the Galaxy Player product line is being discontinued. We are very sorry for this inconvenience, the line is being discontinued.

and regarding a possible replacement in the form of a smaller Galaxy Tab:

We appreciate you contacting Samsung Electronics and being a valued customer. We understand that you would like to know if there will ever be a smaller Galaxy tablet. Unfortunately, we do not have a smaller Galaxy tablet coming out in the near future.

Of course, I realize the Samsung may just not want to reveal future product plans, but the delay in any SGP replacement news for the US market probably means they are abandoning that niche. I noticed that Archos has also dropped small-screen Internet tablets. I have also seen reports and evidence that even the 7" size tablet may be disappearing in favor of the 8-inch or larger size.

My main use of the SGP5 is Internet browsing, checking emails and Facebook, watching downloaded and Internet videos, offline GPS navigation (CoPilot is great), grab-and-shoot pictures and using specialty apps related to my interests. I prefer to use my SGP5 as my portable Android device while relying on a basic cell phone as my mobile phone. That saves my $360 per year in mobile data access charges.

So, even though my SGP5 is working fine now, I don't have an easy replacement should it ever quit, or become obsolete as Gingerbread falls out of favor with app developers. I know that may be a year of two into the future, and the market could change a lot by then, but if it happens sooner rather than later, I will be very interested to see what everyone else comes up with as a SGP replacement. Perhaps a new or used Galaxy S3, or Note, or other large-screen smartphone? I have even thought of buying a spare SGP5 before they completely disappear from the market, but that would be spending $220 on a potentially obsolete device that I may never need and that $220 would be better kept on hand for the eventual replacement, whatever that ends up to be.

I will be very interested in your comments, plans, and actual experience, in replacing your SGP when the time comes to do so.

TheKryptonite 03-13-2013 02:21 PM

Probably a Galaxy S3 or Note 2.

Marvin the Martian 03-13-2013 02:46 PM

I'd say the most cost-effective thing to replace it with would be a first-gen Galaxy Note phone, bought from someone whose contract has ended and is getting a newer device.

skip252 03-13-2013 06:25 PM

The one thing I wouldn't do is buy another SGP 5 as a hedge against the future. There's been a couple of times I felt a piece of tech was the perfect device and bought another one "just in case". Each time it's turned out that either what I had lasted longer than what I thought it would or by the time the first one died my needs or what was available had changed.

Daniel644 03-13-2013 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well my 4.0's sdcard slot has become unreliable so I have already replaced it with a 7" Tab 2, it's practically the same thing just bigger, faster, more memory and a MASSIVE battery, with my 4.0 being used ONLY for music playback in the car I could get about a week on a charge, with my Tab 2 7" pulling the SAME job of music playback I get a MONTH between charges, sure if I actually used it as a tablet and not an MP3 player it would go down considerably but considering it cost the same (when I bought it) as a new 4.0 it was a no brainer.

MrVivona 03-13-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel644 (Post 632992)
Well my 4.0's sdcard slot has become unreliable so I have already replaced it with a 7" Tab 2,

Don't get too attached to that 7" Tab. Seems tablet makers, including Samsung, are beginning to abandon the 7" tablet in favor of ones more in the 7.7-8" range. See http://drippler.com/samsung/galaxy_tab_3_7#!640232 and look at the websites for Toshiba, Archos and others.

I considered the Galaxy Tab 7 as a SGP5 replacement, but the size was just too big for something to take with you when going out and about. It would be oversized and awkward to have in a belt holster - probably need a small over the shoulder messenger bag. Not something I would want to do.

Daniel644 03-13-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrVivona (Post 633006)
Don't get too attached to that 7" Tab. Seems tablet makers, including Samsung, are beginning to abandon the 7" tablet in favor of ones more in the 7.7-8" range. See http://drippler.com/samsung/galaxy_tab_3_7#!640232 and look at the websites for Toshiba, Archos and others.

I considered the Galaxy Tab 7 as a SGP5 replacement, but the size was just too big for something to take with you when going out and about. It would be oversized and awkward to have in a belt holster - probably need a small over the shoulder messenger bag. Not something I would want to do.

I got a folio style case for my Tab 2 7" and yes while it isn't "pocketable" like the 4.0 and 5.0 it does fit nicely in my oversized winter coat front pockets and in the summer I can just hold it in my hand and look all "business professional" or just leave it in the car, for me "portability" was less of a concern as the plan is to integrate the tablet into the dash of the car one day once I work out how to fabricate everything to work the way I want it to.

also the only reason I bought the tab was because I needed something to replace the 4.0 and I plan to keep this one till it dies too, I don't arbitrarily buy new devices just because a new model came out, so the potential loss of the 7" on the next generation is of NO CONCERN to me at this time.

Marvin the Martian 03-13-2013 11:45 PM

I use my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus more often than I use my SGP 5.0, actually, although both are in perfect condition.

TheKryptonite 03-14-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel644 (Post 632992)
Well my 4.0's sdcard slot has become unreliable so I have already replaced it with a 7" Tab 2, it's practically the same thing just bigger, faster, more memory and a MASSIVE battery, with my 4.0 being used ONLY for music playback in the car I could get about a week on a charge, with my Tab 2 7" pulling the SAME job of music playback I get a MONTH between charges, sure if I actually used it as a tablet and not an MP3 player it would go down considerably but considering it cost the same (when I bought it) as a new 4.0 it was a no brainer.

32 days, wtf?

Daniel644 03-14-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKryptonite (Post 633042)
32 days, wtf?

being used strictly as an MP3 player for when I'm driving which is typically about .5 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday and about 1.5-2 hours a day on weekdays plus never being turned off so there is that "idle" power loss. But if I really tried I could drain it in a day use like every other device I have ever used. there is something to be said for a 4,000 Mah battery.

marcel f 03-14-2013 06:04 PM

why would I replace it?

marcel

PatriceOK 03-15-2013 10:24 PM

Well, someday, like all little electronic devices we love, your SGP 5 might have to go and "live on a farm"...where it will run and chase bunnies and play with other Players, but....

brosko 03-16-2013 07:37 AM

In other words it will die one day, and judging by all the little problems that have been known to arise with these (suddenly doing this or not doing that or whatever) that day might be soon. I too am concerned as to what I am going to replace it with if it dies. I dont know yet. I am hopefull that maybe samsung or maybe another compamy will come out with another line of "android ipods" in the near future

marcel f 03-16-2013 08:43 AM

well the only thing I have read about is the Samsung galaxy grand phone. It looks to have the same screen size and resolution of the 5.0. I'm not paying silly money for an S3 S4 or note 2!
link
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...1134387/review
Hopefully it will be a reasonable price, but it does seem like the 5inch media player is a dead duck, even archos has stopped making them. a dark day indeed!

I will probably pick up another 5.0 form amazon as a spare though.

marcel

PatriceOK 03-16-2013 08:14 PM

I've thought about a spare, but can they ever do more than Gingerbread 2.3?

marcel f 03-17-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatriceOK (Post 633166)
I've thought about a spare, but can they ever do more than Gingerbread 2.3?

at least you have gingerbread, in the uk we are stuck on 2.2! It still doesn't bother me though as it does what I want.
Although I do have a galaxy camera with android jellybean on it. It's a bulky device but I do have 3 batteries for it and it cost me nothing from work, bonus!

marcel

Zapp 03-19-2013 05:05 PM

I feel your pain. I'm extremely happy with my SGP 5.0, and it will be black day when it finally dies. A 5" screen is large enough to be useful, but small enough to be truly pocketable. Genuine Samsung replacement batteries are available and I will swap out the battery when the time comes. If no other 5" device is available on the market, and I doubt that one will be, I will have no other choice other than to buy an inactivated cell phone with a 5" screen or suffer with a too large 7" device.
I do not plan on buying a spare SGP 5.0 to keep on the shelf. The SGP 5.0 will NEVER be upgraded above Gingerbread 2.3, and in a few years Gingerbread 2.3 will be the equivalent of Windows 3.1., Plus, lithium batteries age rapidly EVEN WHEN THEY ARE NOT BEING USED. There's really no way to keep a spare lithium battery, or a device with an installed lithium battery, on the shelf for later use.

PatriceOK 03-20-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapp (Post 633308)
... The SGP 5.0 will NEVER be upgraded above Gingerbread 2.3, and in a few years Gingerbread 2.3 will be the equivalent of Windows 3.1.,
Plus, lithium batteries age rapidly EVEN WHEN THEY ARE NOT BEING USED. There's really no way to keep a spare lithium battery, or a device with an installed lithium battery, on the shelf for later use.

Word.

MrVivona 03-21-2013 01:43 PM

I had the occasion to compare my SGP5 with a Toshiba Thrive 7" tablet owned by a friend and my SGP5 had much fuller and louder speaker sound and picked up Wi-Fi better than the Thrive tablet. Made me proud of my SGP. :)

It seems that once the SGP fully disappears from the scene, if we want a small android media player that also serves as a mini-tablet we will have to resort to buying a used large-screen smartphone, or pay $500-$700 for a new smartphone, and use it in Wi-Fi only mode. Or, if we use a smartphone with a data plan anyway, we could opt for a big-screen smartphone at our next contract renewal.

What I wonder is how well smartphones play audio through their built-in speakers. I haven't had the opportunity to check out smartphone sound versus the SGP, but I suspect few smartphones will come close to the volume and sound quality of the SGP speakers, and probably none will have stereo speakers. I like to watch videos and listen to audio with the sound coming from the speakers. My SGP does fine in that regard. Also, when used as a GPS, having loud sound ensures the voice directions can be heard over other vehicle noise, conversations, etc.

I would be interested in which smartphones, if any, have stereo speakers and which have decent sound quality from their speakers.

MrVivona 03-21-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapp (Post 633308)
Plus, lithium batteries age rapidly EVEN WHEN THEY ARE NOT BEING USED. There's really no way to keep a spare lithium battery, or a device with an installed lithium battery, on the shelf for later use.

This might be helpful: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries