abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Headphones (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Better bang for buck than Koss Porta Pro in street style headphones? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71846)

neutral 03-05-2013 06:04 PM

Better bang for buck than Koss Porta Pro in street style headphones?

It's more than 25 years old, anyone produced a better pair of "street style" headphones since then? I can't believe if on one.

I also wanted to ask how much do you need to spend on an in-ear monitor to get the sound quality of a pair of $35 Porta Pro headphones? I know in-ear and street style are two completely different animals but still.

Jack4L 03-06-2013 02:50 AM

Oh there's tons, maybe too many to choose from really. Sennheiser has a few, some people generally prefer the PX100's, but I kind of prefer their HD228 for being at least somewhat closed.

Then there's cheaper alternatives like the JVC flats, which to be honest for street use/commuting are probably pretty good at least compared to most ear buds or IEMs in that price range.

As for IEMs, eh the whole isolation vs open air is going to make it difficult to compare but overall I think any cheaper sennheiser IEM is pretty decent like the CX280.

Still really like the PortaPros. I think their design and function is cool and I really like the lifetime warranty, plus the fact that you can get spare ear pads for them really easily.

nathan 03-06-2013 10:07 AM

There the Koss KSC75 which are about half the price ($15 on Amazon right now) of potrapros and have pretty much the same sound as they have the exact same titanium drivers. I have the KSC75 and I really enjoy them for exercise. Great clear sound with decent frequency extension. I haven't listened to the potrapros but I believe from what I've read that the KSC75 in comparison have a slightly less boomier base, slightly better treble, and slightly more airier/open sound do to the KSC75 more open design.

JK98 03-06-2013 09:17 PM

The JVC HA-S160 is the best value for a headphone at around $12 on Amazon. For an IEM, the best cheap one is the $6 JVC Riptidz.

The DarkSide 03-07-2013 07:11 AM

I've used the portapro, the JVC flats, and the px100. I hate the tinny sound of the portapro's.

jupitreas 03-13-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan (Post 632605)
There the Koss KSC75 which are about half the price ($15 on Amazon right now) of potrapros and have pretty much the same sound as they have the exact same titanium drivers. I have the KSC75 and I really enjoy them for exercise. Great clear sound with decent frequency extension. I haven't listened to the potrapros but I believe from what I've read that the KSC75 in comparison have a slightly less boomier base, slightly better treble, and slightly more airier/open sound do to the KSC75 more open design.

The Porta Pro does not use titanium drivers so the KSC75 actually potentially sounds better, depending on what you like. The titanium drivers have more defined treble but the downside is that they can be a bit harsh (and have some of that 'metallic' sound signature). The Porta Pro does not have as much clarity in the treble but it has a more pleasing, bass-driven sound signature that some people prefer. Best to audition them both before buying.

Marvin the Martian 03-13-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jupitreas (Post 632963)
The Porta Pro does not use titanium drivers so the KSC75 actually potentially sounds better, depending on what you like. The titanium drivers have more defined treble but the downside is that they can be a bit harsh (and have some of that 'metallic' sound signature). The Porta Pro does not have as much clarity in the treble but it has a more pleasing, bass-driven sound signature that some people prefer. Best to audition them both before buying.

The KSC75 sound best when retrofitted into a headband, so they are pressed closer to the ear....when set up that way, they're easily better than the PortaPro, and also much better than in their native ear-clip form.

neutral 03-27-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK98 (Post 632625)
The JVC HA-S160 is the best value for a headphone at around $12 on Amazon. For an IEM, the best cheap one is the $6 JVC Riptidz.

Sorry, I didn't ask for the absolute cheapest, but what sounds at least as good as a PortaPro. Do you say the JVC HA-S160 sounds as good as the PortaPro for less? Okay, might be. But also $6 JVC Riptidz? Strange.

My second question was that how much money you have to spend for the same audio quality in an earbud as in a set of full headphones? Do you suggest it's half the price? I thought the exact opposite: that it'll cost you more.

neutral 03-27-2013 11:05 PM

Anyways: thanks for your recommendations, I'll look after 'em!

SpringBiscuit 05-01-2013 05:09 AM

How about AKG K420? one of my top recommendation of affordable portable headphones.

Sleep mode zZ 05-01-2013 05:51 PM

I have not used my Porta Pros outside of my apartment and as such can not really evaluate them in that respect. I use rather IEMs because the size and background noise attenuation.

Currently my Porta Pros are stored away in a cupboard waiting for a relative or a friend who might have more use for them. I listen in a quite silent environment with low volume settings and the weakenesses of the Porta Pros are much more prominent that way. The sound seems to open up with a little more volume (highs do not sound as muffled and the bass gets better defined). Many times I have been impressed with the sound of the PPs, dropped the volume to a little more comfortable level, listened a little more, dropped the volume again, and ended being very unimpressed with the PPs.

So, for listening at low volumes, the PP is the least usable from my selection of open portable on-ear headphones . In the same weight class I prefer the PX100. Going from around 60 grams to 100, there is the above mentioned AKG K420 with clearly more hi-fi sound. I also like the Ultrasone HFI-15G when watching videos from the computer. They are the most comfortable for my head and do have a sound that is more easily imagined to come from the display. There is also the Philips SHP5401 that I got for about same price as the PPs and have much better sound. They are quite big though (and weighs about 170 grams) and I would not use them outside. For real portable use the PX100 or the K420 would get my vote. The PX100 is about the same price as the PP, the K420 is a bit more but worth it.

Marvin the Martian 05-01-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleep mode zZ (Post 635224)
So, for listening at low volumes, the PP is the least usable from my selection of open portable on-ear headphones . In the same weight class I prefer the PX100. Going from around 60 grams to 100, there is the above mentioned AKG K420 with clearly more hi-fi sound. I also like the Ultrasone HFI-15G when watching videos from the computer. They are the most comfortable for my head and do have a sound that is more easily imagined to come from the display. There is also the Philips SHP5401 that I got for about same price as the PPs and have much better sound. They are quite big though (and weighs about 170 grams) and I would not use them outside. For real portable use the PX100 or the K420 would get my vote. The PX100 is about the same price as the PP, the K420 is a bit more but worth it.

I recently got the HFI-15G and they are hands-down better than PX100 and PortaPro. Haven't tried any AKG headphones though.

The DarkSide 05-01-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian (Post 635225)
I recently got the HFI-15G and they are hands-down better than PX100 and PortaPro. Haven't tried any AKG headphones though.

I'd luv to hear those other hp's you bought,...the carbon ones.

Marvin the Martian 05-01-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 635226)
I'd luv to hear those other hp's you bought,...the carbon ones.

For those who don't know....
JVC HA-S500

http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/a4/a413c44a_ycLz6.jpeg

I didn't compare these to the others mentioned in the thread because they are closed back and the other four I've mentioned in the thread are all open-back. But for those comfortable with a closed back headphone in portable situation, the S500 is sweet. No amp required, even my Clip Zip will power them to ear-shattering volume.

The DarkSide 05-01-2013 07:29 PM

Thank you sir!!!

Marvin the Martian 05-01-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 635228)
Thank you sir!!!

Just over $50 w/shipping nowadays.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...=&startIndex=0
and they are awesome for EDM.;)

The DarkSide 05-01-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian (Post 635229)
Just over $50 w/shipping nowadays.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...=&startIndex=0
and they are awesome for EDM.;)

I'm guessing they'd be perfect for me,...like the Ultrasone's you luv.

Marvin the Martian 05-01-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 635230)
I'm guessing they'd be perfect for me,...like the Ultrasone's you luv.

It's very possible. And they'll fit even us big-headed guys.;)