abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   I've gone back to the Clip+ (from Clip Zip) (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71723)

BadCam 02-15-2013 06:56 PM

I've gone back to the Clip+ (from Clip Zip)

I broke the screen of my Zip. I'm always very careful with it, but I must have somehow put too much pressure on the LCD screen at some stage, and the screen started bleeding red ink (that's what it looked like) and now the screen is completely dark and can't be used.

I thought long and hard about buying another Zip, but quite frankly I miss the ergonomics of the Clip+ (the Clip V2 was even better IMO). I've purchased a new version of the Clip+, for US$30.00 plus shipping, and that should be here next week.

I like the Clip+ in particular because the direction keys aren't flush up against the sides of the device. It's a lot harder with the Clip+ to accidentally change tracks while I'm working, and to me, it just feels better. The clip certainly isn't anywhere near as strong as the Zip, but I can't live with that, and if it breaks I can always jerry-rig something for it.

(I really would like to see the next version of the Clip with Bluetooth)

dave61430 02-16-2013 01:50 PM

Can you post back if the new clip+ is any better than earlier clip+ on FM. The FM on mine drifts, not bad indoors but outdoors it's quite pronounced, must be a temperature thing.
I was thinking of trying the zip, haven't heard complaints about those.

BadCam 02-16-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave61430 (Post 631855)
Can you post back if the new clip+ is any better than earlier clip+ on FM. The FM on mine drifts, not bad indoors but outdoors it's quite pronounced, must be a temperature thing.
I was thinking of trying the zip, haven't heard complaints about those.

I'm not sure that I'd be of much assistance there. I don't use the FM radio much on the Clip's. What I do do is connect the MP3 player to an FM Transmitter, and that then gets picked up in the FM Radio on my Industrial Headset (Ear Muffs) or the radio in my factory, or by this, which in turn is usually plugged into the Ear Muffs. I do notice the "clicks" occasionally though:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MW1-Funct.../dp/B0073CE8Y2

That way, I can work with hands free and no cables getting in my way, and able to answer the phone when calls come in without having to remove my Ear muffs.

I'll have a listen to the Clip's FM for you and report back.

BadCam 03-01-2013 01:40 AM

I'm embarrassed to say that these are not new Clip+'s. I think I duffed up. Made in June 2010.

But, I don't care. I missed these babies. One's for Disaster Scenarios.

So sorry dave61430. I cannot help you there.

JK98 04-17-2013 08:40 AM

How do you know when they were made? Is there some way I can tell from the serial number?

dave61430 04-17-2013 10:31 AM

dave61430 got fed up with the fm and got a clip zip at a good price. Works great. The lock function on all models is to guard against accidental changes, but to each his own.
I think all the clip series are good buys, and the big upgrade was when the expansion capability was added.

The most dramatic change is to add Rockbox, this is easy to do and substantially changes the functionality. It can be used along side the original firmware or removed without a hassle.

Marvin the Martian 04-17-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave61430 (Post 634664)

The most dramatic change is to add Rockbox, this is easy to do and substantially changes the functionality. It can be used along side the original firmware or removed without a hassle.

You'd have to pay me a lot of money to go back to the original firmware on my two Zips...and I have literally never even seen the OF on my e280.

At first I was going to say you couldn't pay me to go back to the OF on the Sansas, but then I remembered that I am poor....lol.

skip252 04-17-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian (Post 634665)
...and I have literally never even seen the OF on my e280.

Take my word for it then. Don't ever boot to it. You wouldn't like it.;) At all. Not even a little bit. Hate it would probably be more like it.:mad:

Got any 2 GB cards around? That's the largest it'll take in the OF. There are any number of limitations like that in the OF that makes the thought of using a E2xx sansa an absolute deal breaker for me.

It was buggy and crash prone enough that I installed Rockbox as soon as I figured out how. There was no automated installer and I was kind of afraid to run sanspatcher due the "you might brick your player" warnings.

I finally got sick of never knowing when the next "Bad Track" message would pop up and me strand me without music until I could get to a PC and fix it. At one point I was formatting and reinstalling the firmware so often I'm certain it killed the first E260 months sooner than what it should. It got so bad I was actually saving up to get an iPod.:eek:

dgb52 04-18-2013 12:08 AM

Well actually the v2 e280 will take a 32gb card

skip252 04-18-2013 12:37 AM

Marv has said before his is a v1. 2 GB in the OF is the limit on those.

Marvin the Martian 04-18-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgb52 (Post 634692)
Well actually the v2 e280 will take a 32gb card

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 634693)
Marv has said before his is a v1. 2 GB in the OF is the limit on those.

Skip's right, mine is a v1.

I don't even have a card in it, actually. There's a little over 7GB of music on it, and I only use it at work plugged into the stereo there. It's great for that, just like a Fuze would be...but I wouldn't use either one any other way, because of the scroll wheel volume control, which I can't stand.

Before the iPod haters cry "hypocrisy!" at that statement, it's worth noting I only use my iPod Video either with an external amp with a dedicated volume control, or plugged into a stereo just like the e280.