abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cowon C2 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Playlists - This is getting ridiculous (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71569)

Polantaris 01-19-2013 09:17 PM

Playlists - This is getting ridiculous

Hello everyone. I was hoping someone more experienced with Cowon players can help me out.

I recently got a C2. I've been liking it except for one major problem - Playlists.
I read on other forums and what not that you need to create Extended .m3us with Relative paths to create playlists that the C2 can read. I've tried everything. I've used addons for MediaMonkey that do this, I've used user created programs, I've used just about every program I can find to try and make playlists, however whenever I load them up in my C2, I always get "No File" no matter what I do.

It's getting to the point of ridiculousness. Nothing I do will get it to work properly. I was wondering if anyone has a program or something that is able to make whatever magic format on m3us that the C2 wants that other programs are unable to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

skip252 01-20-2013 12:30 AM

Welcome to ABi:)

You don't detail what you've tried or the contents of the playlists you've created. There's a number of programs that make EXTM3U playlists. If you listed the ones you've tried and the steps you took it would let anyone trying to help know not to suggest you try what already hasn't worked.

Polantaris 01-20-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 630344)
Welcome to ABi:)

You don't detail what you've tried or the contents of the playlists you've created. There's a number of programs that make EXTM3U playlists. If you listed the ones you've tried and the steps you took it would let anyone trying to help know not to suggest you try what already hasn't worked.

Hello.

I've tried the suggestion on this thread about using MediaMonkey with an addon that uses Extended M3Us: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41497
I've tried almost every setting in there and nothing seems to do it.

I've tried a program called "Playlist Creator", suggested in an old JetStudio thread I've since closed and cannot refind the link to the thread.

I've tried a user made program for the S9, but that didn't work either. That's here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=45436

No matter what I do, the end result is that the C2 reports "No File," and I'm starting to get frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

skip252 01-20-2013 03:44 PM

I stopped using MM for creating playlists since 4.0 was released. I had other options that made me feel dealing with additional scripts weren't worth the hassle. The first of those is XMPlay. The other is MusicBee. I don't have a C2 so I don't know if they'll work on that but both create properly formed EXTM3U playlists that work everywhere else.

One of the DAPs I use both of them with is a Cowon iAudio 9. That doesn't mean they will work with the C2 but I think it may improve the chance they will.

Before you spend a lot of time with those you may want to check your save location. From what I've read Cowons with external cards can be picky about where you save a playlist. If you haven't yet I'd try the root of the player, the Music folder and the playlist folder if it exists. Not having a C2 I don't know if it creates those folders by default.

I would also be sure all the files from a playlist are from a single memory and saved to that memory. From the threads I've read when DSperber has helped members here and at iAudiophile get playlists working on the J3 having playlists that only had files from a single memory frequently meant the difference between a list working or not.

Polantaris 01-20-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 630395)
I stopped using MM for creating playlists since 4.0 was released. I had other options that made me feel dealing with additional scripts weren't worth the hassle. The first of those is XMPlay. The other is MusicBee. I don't have a C2 so I don't know if they'll work on that but both create properly formed EXTM3U playlists that work everywhere else.

One of the DAPs I use both of them with is a Cowon iAudio 9. That doesn't mean they will work with the C2 but I think it may improve the chance they will.

Before you spend a lot of time with those you may want to check your save location. From what I've read Cowons with external cards can be picky about where you save a playlist. If you haven't yet I'd try the root of the player, the Music folder and the playlist folder if it exists. Not having a C2 I don't know if it creates those folders by default.

I would also be sure all the files from a playlist are from a single memory and saved to that memory. From the threads I've read when DSperber has helped members here and at iAudiophile get playlists working on the J3 having playlists that only had files from a single memory frequently meant the difference between a list working or not.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try those two programs.

As for the save location: I have to imagine that if it could find the playlist at all the save location should be fine. I'll try root just to be sure. They were in a "Playlists" folder. I created it myself, it wasn't created by the C2.

I'll get back with the results of this later.

skip252 01-20-2013 04:01 PM

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. You're saying can't find the saved playlist MediaMonkey creates in Windows Explorer? I would think that would be visible as long as the C2 is connected in MSC mode.

Polantaris 01-20-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 630398)
I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. You're saying can't find the saved playlist MediaMonkey creates in Windows Explorer? I would think that would be visible as long as the C2 is connected in MSC mode.

The playlists and stuff are fine in Windows Explorer. I've even opened up the files in Notepad and they look fine from what I can tell in text compared to what others have reported is the required format.

When I put my SD card into my C2, and pull up the playlist, all of them say "No File" instead of the songs for the playlist.

I just tried XMPlay and it has the same issue. I just don't get it, this shouldn't be hard but it's infuriating.

I also tried putting the playlist in the root folder of my SD card just now, and the same issue occurs.

skip252 01-20-2013 05:10 PM

I'm not at all sure what the issue might be. My playlists are made from files on the player that are structured
Code:

<IAUDIO9K:>\Music\Artist\Album\track# - Title
A playlist made using XMPlay then saved in the root of the drive results in a EXTM3U that has this structure
Code:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:735,Quantum Jazz - Hand In Space
\Music\Quantum Jazz\Hand In Space\01 - Hand In Space.mp3
#EXTINF:530,Quantum Jazz - Jingle Jazz
\Music\Quantum Jazz\Hand In Space\02 - Jingle Jazz.mp3
#EXTINF:290,Quantum Jazz - Casa Noir
\Music\Quantum Jazz\Hand In Space\03 - Casa Noir.mp3
#EXTINF:534,Quantum Jazz - Move
\Music\Quantum Jazz\Hand In Space\04 - Move.mp3

The same playlist saved in the Music folder and the Playlist folder also works.

That same setup also works with multiple sansa players along with a Nook. If the same type setup isn't working for you, I'm stumped. The only thing I can think is that the C2 has some type .m3u difference that's called for by it's firmware.

You may want to look for threads DSperber has participated in helping getting playlists going on the J3 like this one http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=56646. No guaranteeing the solution will be exactly the same as the J3 but it would be a good place to start.

Polantaris 01-21-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 630401)
I'm not at all sure what the issue might be. My playlists are made from files on the player that are structured
Code:

<IAUDIO9K:>\Music\Artist\Album\track# - Title
A playlist made using XMPlay then saved in the root of the drive results in a EXTM3U that has this structure
Code:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:735,Quantum Jazz - Hand In Space
\Music\Quantum Jazz\Hand In Space\01 - Hand In Space.mp3
#EXTINF:530,Quantum Jazz - Jingle Jazz
\Music\Quantum Jazz\Hand In Space\02 - Jingle Jazz.mp3
#EXTINF:290,Quantum Jazz - Casa Noir
\Music\Quantum Jazz\Hand In Space\03 - Casa Noir.mp3
#EXTINF:534,Quantum Jazz - Move
\Music\Quantum Jazz\Hand In Space\04 - Move.mp3

The same playlist saved in the Music folder and the Playlist folder also works.

That same setup also works with multiple sansa players along with a Nook. If the same type setup isn't working for you, I'm stumped. The only thing I can think is that the C2 has some type .m3u difference that's called for by it's firmware.

You may want to look for threads DSperber has participated in helping getting playlists going on the J3 like this one http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=56646. No guaranteeing the solution will be exactly the same as the J3 but it would be a good place to start.

Is there a possibility that it is searching the wrong drive for the songs?

I read that you can only have playlists for either the External Storage or the Internal Storage. Where do I determine where that's set? Maybe it's set to look in the Internal, when everything is on the External. I cannot find anything in the Settings reflecting this.

Edit: I just reformatted my sd card. I readded my music to it, and made a quick playlist of an album. This is what the file looks like:
Code:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:206,Mattias Häggström Gerdt / OverClocked ReMix - Hey, Listen [Ocarina of Time / Legend of Zelda]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\12 Mattias Haggstrom Gerdt - Hey, Listen [Ocarina of Time - Legend of Zelda].flac
#EXTINF:300,Kozilek / OverClocked ReMix - Last Dance of the Giants [Majora's Mask]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\13 Kozilek - Last Dance of the Giants [Majora's Mask].flac
#EXTINF:271,Gryzor87 / OverClocked ReMix - Ilia's Adagio Meets Dark March [Twilight Princess / A Link to the Past]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\14 Gryzor87 - Ilia's Adagio Meets Dark March [Twilight Princess - A Link to the Past].flac
#EXTINF:268,Dong / OverClocked ReMix - Ballad of the Wind Fish (Kaze no Sakana Mix) [Link's Awakening]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\15 Dong - Ballad of the Wind Fish (Kaze no Sakana Mix) [Link's Awakening].flac
#EXTINF:219,CTPLR / OverClocked ReMix - Lon Lon Ranch (CTPLR Mix) [Ocarina of Time]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\16 CTPLR - Lon Lon Ranch (CTPLR Mix) [Ocarina of Time].flac
#EXTINF:206,SoulEye / OverClocked ReMix - Link's Final Battle [Link's Adventure]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\17 SoulEye - Link's Final Battle [Link's Adventure].flac
#EXTINF:553,Matheus Manente / OverClocked ReMix - Zelda's Graceful Nightmare [Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask / Wind Waker]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\18 Matheus Manente - Zelda's Graceful Nightmare [OOT - MM - WW].flac
#EXTINF:182,Disasterpeace / OverClocked ReMix - Chamber of the Goddess [A Link to the Past]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\01 Disasterpeace - Chamber of the Goddess [A Link to the Past].flac
#EXTINF:293,Rekcahdam / OverClocked ReMix - Gimme My Sword! [Link's Awakening / A Link to the Past]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\02 Rekcahdam - Gimme My Sword! [Link's Awakening - A Link to the Past].flac
#EXTINF:168,Laura Shigihara / OverClocked ReMix - Fushigina Forest [A Link to the Past]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\03 Laura Shigihara - Fushigina Forest [A Link to the Past].flac
#EXTINF:231,Joshua Morse / OverClocked ReMix - Link's Epoch [A Link to the Past]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\04 Joshua Morse - Link's Epoch [A Link to the Past].flac
#EXTINF:422,Jeff Ball / OverClocked ReMix - Labyrinth of Dance Floors [A Link to the Past]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\05 Jeff Ball - Labyrinth of Dance Floors [A Link to the Past].flac
#EXTINF:246,HyperDuck SoundWorks / OverClocked ReMix - Hoy, Small Fry! [Wind Waker / Ocarina of Time]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\06 HyperDuck SoundWorks - Hoy, Small Fry! [Wind Waker - Ocarina of Time].flac
#EXTINF:124,Air & Sea / OverClocked ReMix - To Everything There Is a Temple of Seasons [Oracle of Seasons]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\07 Air & Sea - To Everything There Is a Temple of Seasons [Oracle of Seasons].flac
#EXTINF:161,C418 / OverClocked ReMix - Skyward [Skyward Sword]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\08 C418 - Skyward [Skyward Sword].flac
#EXTINF:241,Big Giant Circles feat. Jeff Ball / OverClocked ReMix - Thunderstruck [Ocarina of Time / Legend of Zelda]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\09 Big Giant Circles feat. Jeff Ball - Thunderstruck [Ocarina of Time - Legend of Zelda].flac
#EXTINF:207,Josh Whelchel / OverClocked ReMix - Zelda's First Trip to the "Village" [Ocarina of Time / A Link to the Past / Legend of Zelda]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\10 Josh Whelchel - Zelda's First Trip to the 'Village' [OOT - LTTP - LOZ].flac
#EXTINF:210,MisfitChris / OverClocked ReMix - Village from Your Past [Ocarina of Time]
\Music\25YEARLEGEND - A Legend of Zelda Indie Game Composer Tribute\FLAC\11 MisfitChris - Village from Your Past [Ocarina of Time].flac

It still does not read it with files. Those paths are correct, from the root directory of the card. I simply do not get it. I'm considering returning the player because of this. Simply nothing I do works.

skip252 01-22-2013 01:07 PM

From what I can tell your file\folder\naming system buries the files too deeply for the files to appear in a playlist on a Cowon. I say on a Cowon because when I tested on other players the same file loaded the same way create working playlists.

I faked a couple of files by renaming them to the convention you used in your example and placed them on both a Clip and a Cowon i9. I used XMPlay to save playlists on both of them in the root of the player, the Music folder and the Playlists folder. None of the saved playlist worked on the Cowon. The ones saved to the Music folder and root of the Clip worked as expected.

The one in the Clip's Playlist folder didn't work but that's the expected behavior with .m3u playlists on a Clip. I just threw that in because playlist saved to the Playlist folder of the i9 work for me.

What did break the playlists on the Clip was having forward slashes "/" in the file path. They also broke when I had the white spaces between characters that are in your example playlist. I used foobar2000's Properties Menu to cleanup the whitespaces and when XMPlay saved them with back slashes and no white spaces they worked.

I tried with both FLAC and MP3 files and the results were the same. I've read before where some Cowons have problems with FLAC files so it seemed that trying with both codecs would eliminate codec choice as a problem.

Don't forget, I don't have the C2. All of this was done with the i9. I've read of enough differences in Cowon firmwares that it's possible my results won't translate properly to what's happens from one player to the next.

I'd think try to get a playlist that actually works and work out from there. Try creating a copies of a couple different albums, stripping them down to the bare bones as far as folder\file name structure. I'd be sure the tags agreed in every way with what's in the file. Transfer one to Music folder of the internal memory and one to the external. Load each one separately into XMPlay or MM and save the playlists, naming them so you know the location and which software created the playlist.

Something like XMPlay Root Internal, XMPlay Music Folder Internal or XMPlay Playlist Folder Internal will let you keep track of what's working. Reboot and see which one works, if any.

If that works you know there's something to what I think may be the problem about the file\folder\naming you use. If not, it won't hurt to post the result here and maybe someone will spot an issue I haven't.

The DarkSide 01-22-2013 02:26 PM

A few days ago I synced 30-something playlists to my Cowon X9 via J.River. I set the player to MTP, did the sync, and everything is as good as gold. Now, I didn't use the microSD card for any of these playlists,...I've never had any patience to attempt to do it.

Also, I've done this with my Cowon D2+, as well as the Cowon players I'd owned before (O2, D2, S9, J3, i9).

You can see if J.River works for you. I use it with all my non-Apple devices. I PREFER iTunes for those,...

Polantaris 01-22-2013 08:04 PM

So I figured it out, and it's the most idiotic reason ever.
On a hunch, I did two things. First, I changed the name of the SDCard from "MUSIC" to "SDCARD". Secondly, I changed the name of the Music folder to "Music Files" from "Music". Now it's fine. The playlists show up with no issues.

So the ENTIRE TIME, all this frustration, is due to one thing: The name of the folder. It was named "Music". The only reason I can think of for why it didn't like it, is because it was named the same as the Music folder on the device itself. The only thing I can think of is that it was checking the Music Folder on the device, and not the SDCard. The Device's folder probably took priority.

This is weird, because if I remember correctly, everyone said that you cannot do playlists on both External and Internal Memory. This makes me think that that statement is false. I will experiment in the future, but right now I just want my music properly set up.

Thanks a lot for all of your assistance.

The DarkSide 01-22-2013 08:56 PM

Playlists can be done off of the micro sd card, but I'll be damned if I'm trying. There's a few here that have it down to a science w/a Cowon. Post a thread titled "Playlists on a Cowon w/sd Expansion" and ask for assistance in the root Cowon forum: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

I'm sure you'll get all the assistance you'd need.

Polantaris 01-23-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 630612)
Playlists can be done off of the micro sd card, but I'll be damned if I'm trying. There's a few here that have it down to a science w/a Cowon. Post a thread titled "Playlists on a Cowon w/sd Expansion" and ask for assistance in the root Cowon forum: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

I'm sure you'll get all the assistance you'd need.

I have them working off of the SD card now. The confusion was that if it was looking in the Music folder of the device with a playlist on the SD Card, how come people were saying you can't do playlists on both? It seems like you can, so long as the folders are not named the same on both devices (otherwise it flips out like it did for me).

I will definitely try this later, but not any time soon. Gonna let the frustration of this wear out before I go looking for more.

The DarkSide 01-23-2013 07:57 AM

Most of us want to put a playlist on via sync & have it play WITHOUT any special steps. Even renaming folders is more than I personally care to do,...especially since Cowon no longer has a lock on stellar sq.

Polantaris 01-23-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 630636)
Most of us want to put a playlist on via sync & have it play WITHOUT any special steps. Even renaming folders is more than I personally care to do,...especially since Cowon no longer has a lock on stellar sq.

I honestly don't understand how they can develop something that's so picky, but then give us no way to be able to determine that pickyness, and just have to guess randomly until it works.

Speaking of Sound Quality, what other companies can compete in that department?

In my frustration, I bought an X9 to see if it would be better in the playlist department. It wasn't. I like the device better than the C2, though, honestly, except for my fear that I won't be able to charge it in a week, because the thing has a horrible connector. Out of the box it won't stay connected to the USB port, and the connector that came with it doesn't even fit into the player! I've had to use my C2's connector to connect to my computer. Functionality wise I like it more, I prefer the larger screen, but I have no peace of mind that I will be able to charge it by the end of the month considering the connection problem.

If there's another company that has as good sound quality, I might return both devices and go for that instead, but I'm not exactly informed in the DMP/PMP world, so I have no idea what would be better to go for, because the hardware quality of Cowon has clearly diminished compared to what I've read about their older models.

The DarkSide 01-23-2013 09:59 AM

Samsung, Sony, SanDisk, Apple, all sound just as good as a Cowon. The only difference is the BBE. I personally dislike BBE. Even the iPod touch can do BBE now, via an app - and custom eq.

Yup, Cowon is no longer king. They're killing the brand off,...sadly. :(

BruceBanner 02-10-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polantaris (Post 630334)
Hello everyone. I was hoping someone more experienced with Cowon players can help me out.

I recently got a C2. I've been liking it except for one major problem - Playlists.
I read on other forums and what not that you need to create Extended .m3us with Relative paths to create playlists that the C2 can read. I've tried everything. I've used addons for MediaMonkey that do this, I've used user created programs, I've used just about every program I can find to try and make playlists, however whenever I load them up in my C2, I always get "No File" no matter what I do.

It's getting to the point of ridiculousness. Nothing I do will get it to work properly. I was wondering if anyone has a program or something that is able to make whatever magic format on m3us that the C2 wants that other programs are unable to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't use playlists that much, but i'm pretty sure this method worked for me when i did it as a test a few weeks back (TDS confirmed it I think).

1) Install Winamp.
2) Ensure winamp does NOT add anything to its media library, i.e no music files on yer pc etc.
3) connect C2 to computer.
4) if winamp detects C2 and wants to use it etc, just say no and close that window down.
5) now add media to the library in winamp, BUT ensure you point the library to the music on yer C2 or microsdcard, not from the main music on yer pc.
6) now essentially u have winamp acting as a playlist maker for yer music on yer C2
7) Create playlists in winamp, then save those playlists to the ROOT folder of whereever that music is stored. Here's an indepth explanation of what i did;

a) my music is stored on the microsdcard of my C2 and not on the actual C2 itself.
b) Winamp media library is pointing to THAT location and no other.
c) Once winamp has added those songs to its library i loaded songs into the playlist.
d) i then saved the playlist (.m3u i think) and placed that .m3u list onto the main root folder of the microsdcard.
e) disconnect the player from pc, shut winamp down etc.
f) then when u boot yer c2 up and navigate to playlist folder i saw that the c2 had found the playlist file on the root of the microsdcard (EVEN THO THIS FOLDER EXISTS ON THE MAIN C2 PLAYER IN EXPLORER WINDOWS I DID NOT PLACE IT INSIDE THEIR).
g) play the playlist file on c2 and it was successful.

So i think the playlist folder is a little confusing because i never placed playlist files inside it, but when accessing it on the c2 it finds m3u files on the system whereever they are.

Suffice to say I got playlists working within 10mins of trying on the c2...
No editing of playlists or nuthing, just intelligent trial and error of dumping the playlist file in the right location etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polantaris (Post 630639)
In my frustration, I bought an X9 to see if it would be better in the playlist department. It wasn't. I like the device better than the C2, though, honestly, except for my fear that I won't be able to charge it in a week, because the thing has a horrible connector. Out of the box it won't stay connected to the USB port, and the connector that came with it doesn't even fit into the player!

The c2 has a very stiff connector, at first glance I too thought i was getting flakey connection, but i simply needed to be more gutso with the insertion, so don't be shy, give that cable a good deep push inside (lol), when its fully inserted there is no way in hell it will fall out accidentally, u could swing the C2 around yer head without fear of it flying off, if this isn't the case for you then its not properly inserted far enough in.

PS Don't make me upload a video of me swinging my c2 around my head via its usb cable...

skip252 02-10-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBanner (Post 631624)
PS Don't make me upload a video of me swinging my c2 around my head via its usb cable...

Pictures or it didn't happen!:p