abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Headphones (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Replace my RP-HJE900 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71051)

Omzz888 11-09-2012 02:11 PM

Replace my RP-HJE900

Hi guys, so my RP-HJE900s are gone for good. They were my second pair and I'm really upset they've broken as they sounded so great. Now my main issue is trying to look for a similar replacement as I know their sound signature is so unique.

Really, what I'm looking for is practically the same sound signature of the modded RP-HJE900. So, fast and tight bass with good mid's and good crispy high end sparkle. I did mod my Pana's with the cotton wool technique to give that slight extra boomy low end. I don't really like flabby bass or bass taking control over the whole music. I don't really consider myself as a bass head, given the music I listen to, but I certainly like my bass knocking with good punch and tightness.

I mostly listen to hip-hop and electronica and have a budget of /$ 120.

On a side note, I used to also have the Radiopaq Jazz to which I also liked as the bass was quite tight with good mid's. However, it did need EQ an ironically, sounded excellent on the Jazz EQ setting on my iphone. I know these in ears are still being sold but I'd much rather buy a more high end set similar to the Panasonic's.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Edit: I did buy the CX300-II the other day and I do not like them at all. I find them way too bloated in the bass end and not enough clarity. Sound very muddy to me, lacking in tightness and speed in the low end.

Tommifier 11-10-2012 12:59 AM

I haven't heard the RP-HJE900s myself, but I think that with the description you've given, the Phonak Audeo PFEs may be a good choice. Very clear, nice soundstage, awesome mids, nice highs. Look them up - I have a pair, and they sound absolutely fantastic. I know they're highly regarded around here, and I remember lots of discussions comparing the two that you can probably find in a search.

Omzz888 11-10-2012 10:01 AM

Thanks for your reply :) Which PFE's would you recommend? There are about 4 on their website and I have no idea of their differences.

nathan 11-10-2012 11:36 AM

I've had a pair of RP-HJE900 break on me and replaced them with the phonak pfe's. Here's my experience/quick comparison between the two phones (look at post #18 but the whole thread can be useful to you as other members recommended other alternatives as well):

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64577

The cheaper base pfe's 012/022 are pretty much the same phones as the PFE's 111/112/121 but the pfe's 012/022 only come with the green filter's (more base less sparkle and maybe less detail). You can save money by going with the cheaper model and buying a set of gray acoustic filters (most detail and sparkle) for $20 - at least you use to been able to.

Omzz888 11-10-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan (Post 626216)
I've had a pair of RP-HJE900 break on me and replaced them with the phonak pfe's. Here's my experience/quick comparison between the two phones (look at post #18 but the whole thread can be useful to you as other members recommended other alternatives as well):

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64577

The cheaper base pfe's 012/022 are pretty much the same phones as the PFE's 111/112/121 but the pfe's 012/022 only come with the green filter's (more base less sparkle and maybe less detail). You can save money by going with the cheaper model and buying a set of gray acoustic filters (most detail and sparkle) for $20 - at least you use to been able to.

Thanks for your reply. I'm just a little hesitant about the PFE's as some people do say they lack bass, even with the bass tips. I had to mod my RP-HJE's just to tame those piercing highs pull the low mids forward a little. How's the bass on the PFE's? Does it sound tight and punchy?

IDvsEGO 11-12-2012 08:42 AM

I havent owned either set but have followed them for a while. The PFE doesnt seem like a logical replacement for the Panny. The sound signature is more balanced on the PFE than the V shape of the Panny according to everything I have read.

what I have experienced first hand is that other sound signatures can be very enjoyable even if you werent expecting it. I typically go for the V shape like the panny and was loving my Soundmagic e10. Then I grabbed a good deal on a pair of meelec a161 and they are unexpectedly my go-to set now. I use them 90% of the time. the bass doesnt have the impact that I am used to but the overall quality of the sound makes up for it. Sometimes I have to pull out a bassier set when I really want to have that deep punch for my hip hop or electronic, but usually the a161 does plenty.

One thing that always kept me away from the pfe is the requirement to wear them over the ear. I like to have the option but the shape of the body makes it nearly impossible to wear any other way.

nathan 11-12-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omzz888 (Post 626251)
Thanks for your reply. I'm just a little hesitant about the PFE's as some people do say they lack bass, even with the bass tips. I had to mod my RP-HJE's just to tame those piercing highs pull the low mids forward a little. How's the bass on the PFE's? Does it sound tight and punchy?

This is what I originally said,

"I was concerned about the bass response with the pfe's. In general I would have to say the bass quality is better on the pana's but the pfe's bass is pretty darn good in it's own right. The pana's do have more punch, air and body. With the pfe's, even using the gray filter's, they offer plenty punch for me using rockbox bass setting around +5db. I think the pfe's bass is better in some aspects such as detail, speed and having a razor straight base response all the way down to the lowest ochtive."

Just to clarify for your question, the pfe's do not "lack" base in that it isn't present as it all there; all the way down to 20 hz. You may though find like me that with the device EQ you might want to dial up the base a bit. I find the pfe's have to go with a device with a good EQ like a rockbox'ed sansa clip+ or Meridian player for an Android device (there a punch of good EQ apps/music players on the iphone as well). Even though the pfe's base is more detailed than the panas, they'll never have the quite same body or punch imo.

You could also get the Digizoid ZO2 to go with the pfe's as ZO2 can give more quality base that the device can't do by it self. I haven't tried it so I can't really say much more. If you search around this forum you would find a review of the device being use with the pfe's.

Similar to what IDvsEGO said, both of these headphones have their own characteristics/charm that grow on you when you listen to them over time. Like me, reading reviews and other opinions can only helpful to a point. Unfortunately, you will only know for certain if you take the plunge and get them. I think certain online stores allow for a 30 day audition. If you are not fund of them you can send them back (you might have to pay the return shipping).

Omzz888 11-12-2012 03:37 PM

Thank you both for your help. Further reading concluded that the 161P's sound like they are for me. I was thinking about the Soundmagic alongside the PFE's as the E30/10 sound like bargains.

I'll probably take the plunge and go for the 161's but the problem is I cannot seem to get hold of them in the UK.

Omzz888 11-12-2012 04:15 PM

Nevermind, Amazon are fulfilling the order for Meelec for 69.99.