abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Album art doesn't show with some albums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70461)

hierogrammate 08-31-2012 05:21 PM

Album art doesn't show with some albums

This isn't really a major problem, actually one that I can live with (since it's not that common), but it annoys me at times. I wondered if anyone here could have any insight on what may be amiss. Maybe the answer is so close to my face that I can't see it.

My Clip Zip works fine so far (btw, it's using the latest OF). However sometimes it seems to be unable to read or display the album art in one or two mp3 albums, displaying instead the art from another album ( :confused: ), or the default background patterns it comes with.

I always make sure the JPG is less than 40kb (the actual JPG is 22.9kb, 400x400, even though I know from what I read either here or in the Sansa forums that in theory I can make JPGs of up to 100k). I also make sure that the bitmap program I use to edit it doesn't use any fancy non-standard compression on the image.

I use MP3Tag to both trim the tags to only those the Clip Zip reads, and to embed the album art. I've tried embedding the art, placing either folder.jpg or cover.jpg in the album's folder, or both, and the player still won't display the actual album art. I've also converted the album to OGG to see if that helped, but it didn't. :confused:

Like I said, not that much of a problem (since what's important is that the DAP plays the audio files, and it does a fine job with that)... but it irks me to have a fancy display and not being able to display the album art for those files.

Thanks for reading.

Ed

skip252 08-31-2012 11:21 PM

I checked a few albums and was surpised when I found that some of my AA wasn't showing up in the sandisk firmware. I don't use it much so I had never noticed before. The part that was puzzling was that most of it showed but some files from the same album sitting in the same folder didn't.

I don't use embedded AA on the CZ just a folder.jpg. When I checked what was different about the ones that didn't appear it seems that a difference between the tag and the actual file name was the problem in my case.

A file with the tag
Code:

Medley: Jean Pierre/You're Under Arrest/Then There Were None
but the file name was
Code:

Medley- Jean Pierre-You're Under Arrest-Then There Were None
didn't display it's AA. When I changed the tag to
Code:

Medley- Jean Pierre-You're Under Arrest-Then There Were None
the AA displayed.

There are both slashes and colons in that tag. That may also be the problem. I didn't try a lot of variations because each time I change anything it triggers the database refresh. I use Rockbox and just don't have the patience to wait through many of those.

I did try making sure the file name and tag agreed on several files at once. They weren't working before I changed the tag to agree with the file name. All of them displayed once the tag and file name were the same. I think if you follow up in that direction it may get all the AA to show.

Mikerman 09-01-2012 05:23 AM

Wow--now that's a peculiar development: punctuation in a tag--as opposed to in a filename-- affects matters?!?

skip252 09-01-2012 06:32 AM

The reason I said I'm not certain is I don't know if it's punctuation or some other reason. It may be that having characters in the tags that can't be included in a file name under Windows causes the AA not to show. I wasn't looking for a definitive cause, I just noticed the files that didn't display AA had common elements in the tagging.

I thought it might be one of the peculiarities that sometimes crops up in the ID3v2 "standard". I included several vorbis files in the group of files I retagged in order to check that. When the tagging in both the vorbis comments and the Id3v2 tagged files followed the pattern in the first codebox, none of the AA appeared. When I changed them to the pattern in the third codebox, it all appeared. That seems to eliminate the form of the tag as the issue.

My guess is the filename and tag need to agree in some way in order for the the AA to be displayed in the OF. It may be something in the way the player examines the database to determine which image to display.

The same files tagged both ways display the album art in Rockbox. That makes me think it may be a quirk related to the sandisk database. I've no definitive proof that's the issue. That's just my thought after limited testing.

hierogrammate 09-04-2012 10:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll experiment with the file names to see if that helps :)

WalkGood 09-04-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 620277)
The reason I said I'm not certain is I don't know if it's punctuation or some other reason. ...

While I don't use much punctuation in my file names, I do have some Spanish accent symbols like these on quit a few files and the AA shows up fine in rockbox and sansa fw. That said, I could see how some symbols may interfere with AA.

Mikerman 09-04-2012 11:28 AM

With some tech., the use of a # sign or / in a name can throw the tech. into fits . . . .

Stripes 12-03-2012 08:41 PM

Album art size limit

For new users researching this subject I believe that folder.jpg must not exceed 100KB in size for the Clip Zip. Try getting the file size down before starting to fool with tags. :D

. . .and if you are puzzled as to why some art displays and some does not, check their sizes just for fun. That should tell you if you have a size problem or a tag problem.