abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Headphones (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Sennheiser Momentum (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70457)

Norrois 08-31-2012 02:44 PM

Sennheiser Momentum

-> http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/s...um-headphones/

pure sexiness :)

WalkGood 08-31-2012 07:10 PM

The good:
  • Very nice looking
  • Minimalist approach
  • Build quality looks to be very good but we canít tell till we get one in our hands :/
  • Circumaural ear cups
  • Unique jack that you can make right angled or straight for home use
  • At first I thought dam another headphone designed for ipods :/ Once you read the press release you notice that they include an additional cable with integrated mic/remote, nice move Senn
The bad:
  • No pricing yet but Iím betting this oneís expensive
You can read the Sennheiser press release here.

skip252 08-31-2012 08:19 PM

The Endgadet article says they're $350 in the last line and the Senn rep says Ä299 in the video. Not cheap but not crazy expensive.

Norrois 08-31-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood (Post 620239)
[*]No pricing yet but Iím betting this oneís expensive

300Ä, 350$ expensive indeed. I hope the price is going down a little bit to match with the beats or something

WalkGood 08-31-2012 08:39 PM

Yea, happened to catch it at the end and forgot to edit, too late now.

The DarkSide 08-31-2012 11:30 PM

Now THESE I gotta have!!! Damn smexy!!!

Mikerman 09-01-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 620244)
The Endgadet article says they're $350 in the last line and the Senn rep says Ä299 in the video. Not cheap but not crazy expensive.

I guess expensive but not crazy expensive? ;)

WalkGood 09-01-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip252 (Post 620244)
... Not cheap but not crazy expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norrois (Post 620246)
300Ä, 350$ expensive indeed. I hope the price is going down a little bit to match with the beats or something

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikerman (Post 620272)
I guess expensive but not crazy expensive? ;)

I have to agree with Norrois as I also say expensive. I paid less for my HD650s when I bought them new. But what's expensive to me is cheap to some others I guess :p

JDGAFFLIN 09-05-2012 09:30 AM

If they sound half as good as they look, I'm in. That brushed stainless with the leather is such an elegant, yet modern look.

WalkGood 09-05-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN (Post 620523)
If they sound half as good as they look, I'm in. That brushed stainless with the leather is such an elegant, yet modern look.

I agree, very smexy but at this price point they better be ≥ hd650 :D

Chef 09-06-2012 10:45 AM

Less than 350 for HD650? When you say bought new, do you mean on their release or many many years later? I bought mine only a little before HD800 was released and I was not so fortunate, but maybe I got a bad price.

In any case, I'd call $350 in the upper echelons for reasonably priced headphones, but a clear and very appreciated step back from the silly 1k + prices that became so utterly and disgustingly popular in the recent years (whether I believe HD800 is worth that much or not, I have no idea, but I know there's a great deal of headphones in that range that have no right to be and are only taking advantage of dumb consumers).

It's in the range of how much a lot of premium mp3 players cost (at least in CAD), so I can respect that price point as being realistic for what most people are willing to pay for a device they expect to use a long time.

Regarding my actual impressions of the device... Well, they're certainly going for that old-man jazz look. That is bound to appeal to a lot of audiophiles who romanticize such an image of a large room with a chair in it and a person listening on brown looking headphones to a massive record system. Whether those people actually listen to jazz/classical or not is another question :) I will say that I'd be tempted to give them a listen and certainly credit them as interesting looking, but they offer no reason for me to purchase. If I bought pricy headphones again they'd have to be significantly different from the 650s, and I just don't think these will be. Best case scenario they are a reskin of some similarly priced headphone they already have with minor adjustments, worst case scenario they are a reskin of some cheaper headphone that they know people will buy because it looks classy. Which, to be honest, I think the brushed metal clashes a little too much with the leather. Outside audiophiles they might even be thought to be very ugly. They should have gone all the way with the old man look.

WalkGood 09-06-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef (Post 620646)
Less than 350 for HD650? When you say bought new, do you mean on their release or many many years later?

I just looked up my old receipt as for the longest time I had been saying I paid $285, but I was wrong. I bought mine on 29th of December 2007, including shipping & tax they totaled $316.49 new. I bought from amazon but that same day I saw them on other sites for $285.00 plus $15.00 shipping. So for a difference of $16.49 I bought from amazon as I'm more comfortable with their return policies. Thus my statement "I paid less for my HD650s when I bought them new." That said, I do know times have changed, I probably paid less for everything in 07, it was only a statement that applies to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef (Post 620646)
In any case, I'd call $350 in the upper echelons for reasonably priced headphones, but a clear and very appreciated step back from the silly 1k + prices that became so utterly and disgustingly popular in the recent years (whether I believe HD800 is worth that much or not, I have no idea, but I know there's a great deal of headphones in that range that have no right to be and are only taking advantage of dumb consumers). …

I don’t like the hd800 sound quality thus in my book they’re way over priced, not to mention I find them very fuggly but I can see how they appeal to some. Aside from custom monitors being high priced I find the "momentum" headphones expensive for portables but like I said before, what’s expensive to me is a drop in the bucket to you. That said, I wouldn’t mind buying a pair of these myself if the SQ is there as I’ve been looking for great portable cans for a long time now.

Jack4L 09-06-2012 04:19 PM

Awwh- "Targeted towards the lifestyle consumer-" is not the first thing I want to hear about a set of headphones but maybe its just that Engadget writer who triggered the Sennheiser rep to say that to begin with. Still, whenever I hear that I just instantly think "Less for more" even though I guess my TMA-1 could be considered such products, guess 200Ä is just the right price to override my cynic-senses :P