abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Headphones (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cans to compliment ROCK! (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70414)

Bren 08-27-2012 02:30 PM

Cans to compliment ROCK!

Sorry guys new thread, I know it's an eye roller sometimes. I have had a browse onsite and online in general but I need the most up to date recommendations possible, technology moves so quickly these days.
I don't need mass bass :eek:, I really want to hear those guitars and vocals, Rock is my poison :D.

• Budget: 140/$200 (there's a little flexibility).
  • Category: Full size headphones.
  • Open Style or Closed Style: Unsure. Leakage is not a big issue at home, will one type accentuate my genre of listening better than the other? I'd like a wider soundstage, I don't need to feel like I'm in the 'front row', a few rows back will do nicely, sorry does that even make any sense?
  • Circumaural: Preferred choice.
  • Supra-aura: 2nd Choice
  • Primary location of use: Home only.
  • Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: All I know is I'm not a basshead. I'm sorry I can't be more specific but I 'think' I need the emphasis on the mid-range.
  • Media: Rock, quite a wide spectrum of it, Industrial, Hard, Alternative, Radio Rock, Grunge. (VAST, NIN, RHCP, Linkin Park, Metalica, Pearl Jam, STP, Foo Fighters)
  • Source: Home PC with Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card listening to FLAC (card claims to be able to drive up to 600ohm cans - not my claim)
Comfort is very important to me, I work from home and I may also use these for my guitar/amp so they'll be worn easily 10-12 hours a day. A friend referred some Grado's to me for my rock leanings but I've heard nothing good about them regarding comfort.

WalkGood 08-27-2012 03:10 PM

After reading your criteria I can't help but say HD650s. While new they're way over your budget, if you can find a used pair in your price range I think you'd be blown away ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ While I've not seen pricing on them over the pond, here I've seen used pairs between $200 to $300. Good luck :)

Bren 08-29-2012 12:35 PM

Well thanks for that, you've recommended a pair of 'cans' way outside my budget that - after researching some more - I've now decided are the ones I want, grrr.
Seriously though, every review I've read on the 650's is from somebody creaming their pants over them, so I'll save my cash and throw some over-time in and go the extra mile for those instead. They're currently averaging 250/$395 new in England.

Thanks for the feedback pal, I'll re-post my thoughts when I own them, much appreciated :)

WalkGood 08-29-2012 12:56 PM

Back when I got mine in the US they were $280 to $325 new and now they're $400 to $600 here. Occasionally I will see some refurbs or used ones for around $200 to $275, which I wouldn't have a problem buying myself. You can buy all the replacement parts at reasonable prices (ear cushions, drivers, cables, grills, etc.)

I've tried hundreds of both low and high end cans since I bought mine, I have come to the conclusion that I'm not buying another pair of cans till my hd650s break into an unrepairable state. I can always try my friends cans or even higher end stuff at local meets but when it comes to laying down the big bucks for my own, why buy another set when I'm completely satisfied :)

aimran 08-30-2012 02:05 PM

I'm not sure if the HD650 is right for rock since it is too laidback and not aggressive enough. Grado is perfect for rock, but as mentioned, uncomfortable for many.

I think a good compromise would be a AKG headphones such as the K550. AKG generally have good highs and mids and are pretty comfortable.

Satellite_6 08-30-2012 02:21 PM

AKG's are boring for rock, they aren't nearly dynamic enough! The Senns are much better for that. If you listen to Rock and only Rock the HD 580/600 might be the way to go over the HD 650, but it's a matter of preference.

aimran 08-30-2012 02:40 PM

Aren't HD580/HD600/HD650 pretty dark headphones? If you are going to go the Sennheiser route, take a look at the HD598 since it's supposedly a brighter headphones than the HD580/HD600/HD650. A better choice is probably the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II which is most likely the brightest and most analytical Sennheiser headphones out there.

WalkGood 09-03-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimran (Post 620120)
I'm not sure if the HD650 is right for rock since it is too laidback and not aggressive enough. Grado is perfect for rock, but as mentioned, uncomfortable for many.

grado or AKG for rock, where's the bass & warmth? I say substantially missing and too bright/forward for rock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimran (Post 620120)
I think a good compromise would be a AKG headphones such as the K550. AKG generally have good highs and mids and are pretty comfortable.

Again, too far forward and does not provide the lows needed in rock but to each their own.

While you may not think it so unless you listen to the hd650s regularly, they produce wonderful mids and handle highs fine IMO. While they can be laid back (your term not mine and I wouldn't use it to describe them. I prefer warm), they easily keep great pace with any music I've listened to on them (PRaT). A good example of highs from classic rock: Bob Seger's Live Bullet "Turn the Page" the horns really shine so well they sound realistic or Kansas Point of No Return "Dust in the Wind" where the violin's sound incredibly detailed. What’s not to like how the hd650s handle upper extension & detail? BTW do you own a pair?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimran (Post 620124)
Aren't HD580/HD600/HD650 pretty dark headphones?

Are you asking? No they’re not dark and all three do not sound the same, have you tested them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimran (Post 620124)
If you are going to go the Sennheiser route, take a look at the HD598 since it's supposedly a brighter headphones than the HD580/HD600/HD650. A better choice is probably the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II which is most likely the brightest and most analytical Sennheiser headphones out there.

Why do you need bright headphones for rock? Have you tried all these? While I have not tested the HD580s, I have tested both the 600s & 650s and IMHO the 650s would be better for rock and the 600s would be better for jazz but again we all have different tastes.