abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sony Walkman (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Sony S764 or Cheaper Sony+MDREX85LP? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67079)

zeth006 12-16-2011 12:23 AM

Sony S764 or Cheaper Sony+MDREX85LP?
 
Hey guy,


Currently in the market for a new Sony (Go Sony!). I've narrowed my choices down to a few available on Amazon. You have the Sony NWZ S764 at $130 with two sets of eadphones, a wireless bluetooth version and the corded version. They ship with the MDREX083 whose quality I am unaware of.


Then there's also the option of going with a cheaper Sony, like this S544 for $77 or this one or this one. I don't know what the difference in sound quality is among all those players, so I was thinking I could get a better deal on sound quality by going with one of those cheaper ones and pairing them with the MDREX85LP earphones


Whaddya guys think? S764, or get one of those cheaper ones and pair it with the MDREX85LP? I've been looking for a replacement for my dead MDREX082's, and I believe the EX85LP may be the replacement for it as its rich bass has been noted.

ETA: Also, could someone suggest a good screen protector for the S764?

Note to mod: Sorry about the redundant thread earlier, I've come to a decision but was hoping to get guidance from the Sony experts.

Enigmatic 12-16-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeth006 (Post 589123)
I don't know what the difference in sound quality is among all those players, so I was thinking I could get a better deal on sound quality by going with one of those cheaper ones and pairing them with the MDREX85LP earphones

For sound quality, headphones tend to make more of a difference than the MP3 player. When all the signal processing is switched off, a competently-designed MP3 player is probably going to sound about the same as any other competently-designed MP3 player. The signal processing offered is probably going to be a greater variable. If a user is into using signal processing, the result is something we like to call the MP3 player’s sound signature.

zeth006 12-16-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmatic (Post 589153)
For sound quality, headphones tend to make more of a difference than the MP3 player. When all the signal processing is switched off, a competently-designed MP3 player is probably going to sound about the same as any other competently-designed MP3 player. The signal processing offered is probably going to be a greater variable. If a user is into using signal processing, the result is something we like to call the MP3 player’s sound signature.


Okey dokes. Wound up picking up one of these and the earphones listed above. Figured I might as well enjoy my old bass which I once really enjoyed on my S-639. Dunno much about signal processing, but I figured based on what you said that there wouldn't be a huge difference in SQ. All the reviews I've come across on that device don't seem to mention technical issues like sound or any SQ-related problems. I'll report back to this thread once I get the earphones and the refurb (This eBay seller bought a bunch of the one I bought when Sony had it going for $35, hence the low price).


Thanks.

Enigmatic 12-16-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeth006 (Post 589167)
Dunno much about signal processing, but I figured based on what you said that there wouldn't be a huge difference in SQ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_signal_processing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.