abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cowon J3 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   MP3 not recognised by J3 - seems to fit all the specs necessary? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66608)

daves007 11-19-2011 11:27 PM

MP3 not recognised by J3 - seems to fit all the specs necessary?

Hi, I looked on the J3 specs page:

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_w...uct_page_4.php

And I am trying to load this MP3 on, it seems to tick all the boxes listed on the Cowon website?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JJAAYZLU (45mb)

Soooo frustrated, answer is probably right under my big nose :mad:

Le help!

DSperber 11-20-2011 05:16 AM

Don't know how you're trying to find it, but I have no problem with it on my J3.

Your ID3 tag is missing "album", so you won't be able to browse for it by Library -> [Albums]. Rather, its album name is "unknown". Your ID3 tag is also missing "track number", but that only affects the sequencing of tracks in an album folder with multiple tracks, so it's not really crucial (although you should probably fill in "track number" with something). You can use MP3Tag to edit ID3 tags.

But it does have an "artist" (i.e. Andy C). And it does have a "title" (i.e. Andy C Mystey Mix). So you should be able to find it using Library -> [Artists], and you should also be able to find it using Library -> [Songs].

And of course you can also find it physically using Library -> [Folders], and then either [J3] or [J3 Ext] and then down from there into whatever folder you placed it in. It will appear with its external name of andyc_1.mp3.

Once selected it plays just fine.

So what exactly is your problem? Your post was a bit vague.

I'm sure if you fill in the "album" field with something then you will also be able to find it by Library -> [Albums].

But other than that minor issue I have no problem browsing for it and playing it in all of the alternative ways I described above.

daves007 11-20-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSperber (Post 584922)

A: Don't know how you're trying to find it, but I have no problem with it on my J3.

B: So what exactly is your problem? Your post was a bit vague.

A: Damn! Looks like just a quirk with my J3 then? Reckon I'll have to just format the thing and reload all. I have the latest firmware installed and use MP3tag btw.

B: I try and find by artist, by genre, by folders... nothing, the file just doesn't show up at all.

(p.s. thanks for the help, re-read my original post and "vague" is kind!) :)

Manatou 11-29-2011 10:01 PM

is it possible that your using media player and didn't realise that drm is turned on by default? I remember the first time i tried to make a mix cd and it wouldn't burn it coz of drm.. had to rerip my whole collection, only to discover that media player is part of windows, and if u need to reinstall the OS, it re-installs windows media players.. omg, wtf.. never using that media ever again.

daves007 04-04-2012 03:16 AM

Fixed!

Hi - I deleted some other audio files and the new ones turned up. So I guess as all MP3 players say they are 32gb but are really only ~28-31gb, I need to figure the exact "threshold" where the Cowon tips.

Quite frustrating but not the end of the world.

Thanks all for the help!

DSperber 04-04-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daves007 (Post 605604)
Hi - I deleted some other audio files and the new ones turned up. So I guess as all MP3 players say they are 32gb but are really only ~28-31gb, I need to figure the exact "threshold" where the Cowon tips.

Quite frustrating but not the end of the world.

Any device formatted (e.g. FAT32) has less actual bytes available for true data use than the hardware capacity of the drive or card specifies in physical bytes. Every physical byte on the drive/device is not actually available for data, once the formatting overhead of the file system is taken into account.

In the case of FAT32 there are also "allocation units" of bytes, which is the smallest allocatable unit of space. I believe on a 32GB device formatted FAT32, the allocation units are 32KB. So even if your music file doesn't use exactly all of the space in the last allocation unit associated with that music file, that last complete allocation unit still is allocated (and thus removed from the "free space" of the card. So you have some "unused" (i.e. wasted) space that is neither (a) available for use in some other music file, nor (b) actually productively used to hold an existing music file.

This is inevitable. Nothing you can do about it. And even with a brand new 32GB J3 (or external 32GB card) when you FORMAT it to FAT32 there is only about 29.6GB worth of actual capacity, at best. It's just due to the formatting overhead. (note that NTFS is more "efficient" than FAT32, but that's irrelevant for the J3 which requires FAT32)

skip252 04-04-2012 06:42 AM

It's a well documented difference in the listed and actual capacity of disk sizes isn't entirely due to formatting overhead. There's more than one way to figure the size of a a GB. Take a look at the Wiki article.

To get the actual size divide by .9313226. The the difference factor between binary and decimal at gigabyte size. For 32 GB that comes out to 29.8023232. That's the maximum available. The firmware for most players is on a hidden partition and will take up some more room. Formatting overhead and the firmware would account for the rest of the difference.

jpgr 04-13-2012 11:30 AM

there is also a file limit of 8000 songs on internal and external memory (16000 in total).
have you more than the allowed amount of songs?

daves007 05-12-2012 04:22 AM

H all, sorry for delay in replying, thanks for the help :]