abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Headphones (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   This is a generic "Please recommend me some headphones" thread (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66255)

Zerged 10-27-2011 03:41 PM

This is a generic "Please recommend me some headphones" thread

Hello,
What's the best headphone below 100$?
Thanks for all the help.

What? I didn't give you enough info?
Fine, grumble, grumble

Price Range: Preferably below 80$, I am not willing to go above 100$ though.
Type: In Ear Monitor
Primary location of use: Probably on the go, but sometimes at home to.

Preferable SQ or Sound Signature:
I don't know much about audio, but uhh, balanced, I suppose, I don't like too much bass, nor do I like too little bass. I would also like it if stuff like bass and treble were clearly defined by the headphone (as in, it would be easy even for an idiot like me to differentiate between a guitar and a bass guitar).
On that same note, something with nice soundstage(or as nice as IEM's go) would be nice to.

If it's a question about reference vs non-reference, I'd like it if the headphones didn't add too much, but some warmth(not 100% sure what this means, but it sounds fun, so let's go with it) might be nice.

Media: I listen to a bunch of different music and I might encounter songs from totally different genres at any time, but for the most part, I listen to Rock/Metal, and occasionally, I jump into weird places like jPop/Regular Pop.

Source: I shall use these mostly with my Clip + and with my laptop as well (Note: I understand that using iem's with a pc tends to produce hiss, I don't really mind too much, as long as it isn't overbearingly obvious).

I also can't stand uncomfortable things, so yeah, a good comfort level would be nice.

Other requirements: The headphones need to be fabulous.

So far, I have looked at the Meelectronics A151-BK (link
and also a bit at the NuForce NE-700M.
What headphone would you guys recommend?
Also, another question, I feel I should ask:
I am upgrading from a Sony MDREX57LPW Fontopia(link) Note that I got them on sale.
So, I am wondering if an upgrade to either of the two will actually result in a significant improvement, and more importantly will someone with untrained ears like mine actually be able to tell the difference?

Thanks for everything.

IDvsEGO 10-27-2011 03:47 PM

from what you said the a151 or cc51 from meleec would do fine.

edit - that sounded very noncommittal...both sets are very recommended and are at the top of my list for new sets if/when I need/want a new one. Most of my sets have been more bass oriented so I dont really have any others to add to your list righ tnow.

dfkt 10-27-2011 03:48 PM

The Soundmagic E10 sound like they would fit you. And they're only $35 or so.

IDvsEGO 10-27-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt (Post 581625)
The Soundmagic E10 sound like they would fit you. And they're only $35 or so.

totally forgot about that one...After reading DFKTs review, I really want one of those too.

Zerged 10-27-2011 04:27 PM

Hmm, the SoundMagic E10 sound (not literally!) pretty good, but are they actually good competition for headphones with an MSRP of 70$? If yes, then that would be great!

If I do decide to get them, what tips would you recommend?