abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Zune HD (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Zune HD is Discontinued (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65856)

BlindBandit 10-03-2011 07:24 PM

Zune HD is Discontinued

Sad news :(
http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-d...ne-hd-part-two

Yup it's now dead http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/03/z...ong-live-zune/

gawsome 10-03-2011 08:12 PM

Yeah I'm sad to hear that this is what it has come to. I really wanted to upgrade this year. I'm sure I'm not the only person who can't afford/ doesn't want to buy a smart phone. I will still enjoy the one I own now. I just hope that I am able to upgrade from my 16gb when the time comes or that my player doesn't die anytime soon.

steinburger1109 10-03-2011 08:23 PM

Looks like the upper tier PMP market is going completely the way of Android or iOS. Shame.

Fallstar 10-03-2011 09:04 PM

I'm glad I got my 32 gb player when it first came out. I have a smartphone, but still use my Zune at home, work and travel. I too hope that mine doesn't die anytime soon. :(

Strider_Aus 10-03-2011 09:08 PM

I wonder if they will let international customers get access to the ZuneHD Free Apps/Games with a non-US Live ID....No reason to hold it up now with Zune dead.

steinburger1109 10-03-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider_Aus (Post 577980)
I wonder if they will let international customers get access to the ZuneHD Free Apps/Games with a non-US Live ID....No reason to hold it up now with Zune dead.

:rolleyes: Like there was a good reason before...

BlindBandit 10-03-2011 10:34 PM

Engadget say Zune players are dead but not the Zune name, it's going to be only on Xbox 360 & WP7 & PC.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/03/z...ong-live-zune/

aimran 10-03-2011 10:39 PM

Well, PMPs as a whole is pretty much dead for most people. Most people I know use their smartphones as their PMPs.

There's rumor that Apple is getting rid of the Classic and Shuffle.

BlindBandit 10-03-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimran (Post 577991)
Well, PMPs as a whole is pretty much dead for most people. Most people I know use their smartphones as their PMPs.

There's rumor that Apple is getting rid of the Classic and Shuffle.

And iPod Touch too. all Apple is going to do is make a new iPhone & iPad, that is all they need to do to make money.

aimran 10-03-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindBandit (Post 577993)
And iPod Touch too. all Apple is going to do is make a new iPhone & iPad, that is all they need to do to make money.

Hmm, I though it was Classic and Shuffle only? But it looks like the industry is moving away from PMPs as a whole.

bikertrash 10-03-2011 11:18 PM

Well Samsung will be releasing their Galaxy PMP in the US soon. It sounds like a sweet setup. I think Microsoft is being silly not offering a way to carry Zune around without paying a hundred bucks a month for a phone bill. Maybe Nokia will release a Windows 7 based PMP. Myself, I've no need for a smart phone but wouldn't mind something like an ipod touch or the above mentioned Galaxy if it's nice. I don't need it so I'm not going to pay a high phone bill to get that stuff. There is so many free WiFi hotspots where I'm at that if I felt a need to look up something while out and about I'd just have to hit a McDonalds or Starbucks.
The only thing that held me back on the HD a couple of months ago was the 15 dollar subscription compared to Rhapsody's 9.95. I'm glad I didn't get it now, and Rhapsody will work on either Android or Ipod touch, which I held back on to see what would happen to Zune. It's really a shame seeing a good product at such a value, even when new, get dumped.

Confispect 10-04-2011 01:37 AM

Damm.

Marvin the Martian 10-04-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindBandit (Post 577993)

The Touch isn't going anywhere, I don't think.....

As far as the Zune:HD, I just got one recently, and it is a nice player....sexy hardware design, a nice UI that's not derivative, etc. A custom EQ would have been better than the EQ presets, sure, but I have a plan in mind for it. I do have mixed feelings about the Zune software.....but with 64GB of capacity, I don't need to access the software very often, and I have a USB wall charger.;)

Master Devwi 10-04-2011 04:50 AM

I'm sad to see the hardware go. Windows Phone is great (I currently use it as my primary media player), but the Zune HD is an excellent device. It was perfect for people who didn't want to buy an expensive smartphone and associated data plans.

WalkGood 10-04-2011 05:25 AM

This is not like it wasn’t already expected …

DiTeach 10-04-2011 06:02 AM

Yeah, the warning signs were all there. I knew the end was coming very soon when Dave Mac left. It's too bad that Microsoft is putting all its eggs into the Windows Phone basket, and leaving those of us who can't afford the smart phone cost and plan that goes along with it in the dust. I hope the device remains supported, and will continue to work with the Zune Pass (although I may switch to a month-to-month plan once my current year-long subscription ends). Might have to return to Rhapsody (did anyone notice that they are acquiring Napster???) if Microsoft pulls the rug out from under us.

Master123 10-04-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood (Post 578026)

Agreed, after some silence on this forum and everywhere else about the zune, i saw no hope:(
rest in piece zune hd lol

steinburger1109 10-04-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood (Post 578026)

Doesn't mean we can't lament it. ;)

Olley 10-04-2011 07:52 AM

The Zune HD was dead on arrival. Should have been a Touch competitor, but several poor decisions and late as usual left MS a year behind. JMHO

berklon 10-04-2011 12:14 PM

So shouldn't MS be dumping the Zune HDs at hugely discounted prices? HP had a fire sale on their touchpads and the Playbook's price was cut almost in half.

Where's my $99 Zune HD?