abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Walkman X Series (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Tested MTP VS UMS (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62169)

JSBach 03-21-2011 01:17 PM

Tested MTP VS UMS

I did the test by uninstalling the MTP driver for my x series. and It worked much faster and plus :D I can defragment it now and shows with a drive letter.

The good news THE YEAR TAG SHOWS ON MY PLAYER
Info:

windows PC, windows 7 ultimate, @ 2.40 GHz, enteprise type laptop (DELL Latitude E6400), walkman X series NWZ X1060 Mexican Model, transferrred amount of files 300 MB, 40 files.

MTP: took 2.5 minutes and a 40 second DB refresh
UMS: 40 seconds and DB refresh time of 1 minute aprox.

How I did the change using win 7?

a) go to control panel and choose device manager
b) under portable devices, click the '+' to expand and right click WALKMAN and choose Update Driver.
c) Click on Browse My computer for Driver Software
d) Click on Let me Pick from a List of Drivers on my computer
e) Click on the UMS or USB driver and you're done!
* I recommend that you first click uninstall on the right click-menu to unistall the MTP driver.

Marvin the Martian 03-21-2011 01:41 PM

I don't think you are supposed to defragment flash memory.;)

WalkGood 03-21-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian (Post 544820)
I don't think you are supposed to defragment flash memory.

Correct AFAIK, defragging a flash drive will not give you any performance benefits. Since there's no head to move like on HD, there's no additional time in fetching data from a flash drive. It doesn't matter how the files are laid out, it's all just as fast.

Edit: Also writing to flash memory causes it to degrade ever so slightly, reading does not, so the more you write to a flash device the shorter its lifespan will be. So if you're regularly defragging a flash drive, you are adding thousands of write operations each time you do so and shorting the life of it.

mildandgreen 04-11-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSBach (Post 544814)
I did the test by uninstalling the MTP driver for my x series. and It worked much faster and plus :D I can defragment it now and shows with a drive letter.

The good news THE YEAR TAG SHOWS ON MY PLAYER
Info:

windows PC, windows 7 ultimate, @ 2.40 GHz, enteprise type laptop (DELL Latitude E6400), walkman X series NWZ X1060 Mexican Model, transferrred amount of files 300 MB, 40 files.

MTP: took 2.5 minutes and a 40 second DB refresh
UMS: 40 seconds and DB refresh time of 1 minute aprox.

How I did the change using win 7?

a) go to control panel and choose device manager
b) under portable devices, click the '+' to expand and right click WALKMAN and choose Update Driver.
c) Click on Browse My computer for Driver Software
d) Click on Let me Pick from a List of Drivers on my computer
e) Click on the UMS or USB driver and you're done!
* I recommend that you first click uninstall on the right click-menu to unistall the MTP driver.

This sounds promising - I've been very disgusted with how slow my walkman is when interacting with my computer.

Does it change how you make playlists?

JSBach 04-15-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildandgreen (Post 548965)
This sounds promising - I've been very disgusted with how slow my walkman is when interacting with my computer.

Does it change how you make playlists?

I don't make playlists, i transfer the whole folder, let say Mozart Folder with 12GB of files and its all