Rockbox Database update: step by step?
Apologies in advance if this seems too obvious or elementary a question:
I frequently shuffle all my music together, and with the OF on my e280, that was always pretty simple.
With Rockbox, I'm finding it anything but.
I've got the player set to "Auto Update" the DB, but I find that when I change out music on the player or SD card, the new stuff is often not recognized. And when I say "new", that includes music I have had on there before and taken off; but when it's re-added, it's not being seen (even though it all shows up under "files").
I will then try to manually "Update" or "Initialize" the DB, and I'll be told that it's "Updating in the background," but there seems to be no indcation of progress so I can't tell when/if I should turn off the player.
After Initialization, I'll be told that it's "Committing" the DB, with a series of screens that read "[1/9]", "[2/9]", etc.-- though frequently it will freeze at "[1/9]" and I have to do a hard reboot to get it to finish the process (on occasion, I actually have to open the player and remove/reseat the battery to get it to respond). Usually that recognizes everything, but it involves a lot of trial and error to get to that point, and there should be some way to do it without the player freezing up.
And while the manual describes how the DB is supposed to function, it lacks a simple step-by-step explanation of how to load new music and have it recognized.
So... anyone care to offer a step-by-step explanation of the proper method to get the DB to update consistently?
I've had the same "problem" for years .... simply initialize the DB wait a few seconds (recently this seems to be necessary) Reboot, and if you you see DB update message while your booting .... and all should be well.
In short, Initialize and reboot.
Thanks, but that hasn't worked consistently either. Actually, about the only consistent thing is the way that the player freezes up when it's trying to initialize/update, and usually needing to be opened up and have the battery reseated to finish the process.
As I say, it would seem like an obvious sort of thing to be able to detail step by step.
I experience the same issue and could never figure out what the exact issue has been. You may want to search the RB forum.
The last time I updated, I actually reinstalled the software and the database refreshed. Cumbersome to do every time, but it works.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.|