abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung R0 / Q3 / Z3 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   YP-R0 charging/USB problem (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60825)

Loris 01-23-2011 05:25 AM

YP-R0 charging/USB problem

Hi guys,
this is my first post here.

I've a problem with my yp-r0: after 1 complete year with no absolute problem, now it seems dead! :(

It's not charging at all when I plug it into pc or usb charger: the light-blue battery icon starts animating and it says "charging", but it never ends and if I unplug it, it shuts down and never turn off anymore. :mad:

The strange thing is that player is fully working if it's connected via USB! It can be turned on and correctly plays music. (Occasionally it performs a system checking... :confused:)

I would like to re-flash a firmware (I previously updated it to the last 1.23 version) but i can't: my computers (both PC and Mac) don't show the device in the device list, they can't see my yp-r0. :mad:

Resetting the device seems to have no impact on the problem...
What can i do? Is there any way to see the player from pc/mac/linux and re-flash it? Or probably is it a hardware (battery) problem? But it wouldn't explain why i can't see the player in my devices list...

Thank you! Bye!!

lebellium 01-23-2011 06:20 AM

Looks more like a hardware issue than a software issue :(

Loris 01-23-2011 08:27 AM

It was a Christmas 2009 gift, so i have no buying receipt... will samsung repair it as warranty service?

lebellium 01-23-2011 08:31 AM

Even if you had a receipt they wouldn't repair it under warranty as the warranty is 1 year only.

Loris 01-23-2011 08:33 AM

I taught it was 2 years... :(
i'll try to contact samsung technical support... :(

slade 01-25-2011 09:52 AM

If it doesnt show up as a USB Device only two options:

-> corrupted Firmware (I had this a lot while working the rockbox port)
-> USB IC Switch is gone, if you know how to solder and don't have any warranty left let me know! I'll try my best to guide through to attempt to repair it. No gurantee it works though.

Also check wheter battery gets insanly hot or stays extremely cool while charging!

Loris 01-25-2011 06:04 PM

The battery remains cool during charging... I taught it could be a plugging problem too: i opened the device but everything seems ok, i can only see 2 colored wires (black and red) perfectly connecting the battery to the bottom part of the device.
If you have any kind of disassembling guide and you can tell me where to solder, i'm soldering with no problem (if parts are not too small).

Thank you very very very much!!!!!

slade 01-26-2011 03:56 AM

ok first you already dissassembled it. Since the battery stays cool it is either the battery itself or one of the connections to it. So try this first to see if the battery is working. place it on your heater(not the oven i mean your room heater) in your appartment while it is running hot for 20 minutes. Immediatly connect to your PC see if this works and if it starts charging a bit. This would mean one of the solderings is broken (which would be easy to fix) for the battery its also any easy fix but you would need to order one.

Try the heating of the device first.

nik1105 01-26-2011 07:03 AM

After several hours of battery charge try to measure its voltage, if battery is fully charged its voltage must be about 4v, if battery charge is average-it will be about 3.6-3.8v, if its voltage less than 3.5 it means battery isnt charging. Player contains charge controller, which stops charge at specific voltage, if battery is dead and it cant gain the energy, controller wont shut down the charge perocess and the battery charge animation will never disappear. Controller is implemented via hardware so there is no way to damage it with firmware.
Dont measure voltage while charging battery,result will be incorrect.
But if player wont appear in device list probably its damaged board, which is usually cost about 70% of player cost.

slade 01-26-2011 12:53 PM

yes nik you are right, though usb data handling is done via firmware as well so if it does not show up this could still be software related.
The battery voltage is of course the easiest way to tell if it is charging or not, i didnt even think about that :D. anyway there could be just a broken solder point. the boards are pretty robust. usually its a cold soldering point and with heat they get connected again (as the material spreads). If heating works its usually easy to fix. but there is of course still the chance the board is defective.

Loris 01-26-2011 02:59 PM

ok my friends, I tried to warm up the battery and it seems to charge a little...! :D
I don't know if it is simply "warmally charged" or if the warm has "repaired" the soldering.

Moreover, my PC has seen it just for a while (as "unknown device") and the battery on the display was correctly charging, starting from the "red state" (charging animation started from the bottom part of the battery, colored in red). So it correctly detected the charge level (almost none).
After a few minutes it said "battery too low, shutting down" and it restart charging in the "generic blue battery state" (the charging animation starts from the middle of battery to the top, colored in light blue).

Now I'm trying to charge the device while it's still above the heater (periodically checking it's not exploded! :D).
Can I permanently fix it by re-soldering the battery? Have you got any guide or scheme?

Bye and thank you again, you're incredible, guys!!!! :D

Loris 01-26-2011 03:05 PM

UPDATE: now it's correctly detected from the system, it says "USB connected" and i can transfer files. But unplugging it, it's shutting down.

i'm keeping it on the heater :D

slade 01-26-2011 03:40 PM

ok buddy thats what we need to know, there is several things that could be wrong. you will not be able to see them but these are the things you would need to resolder (as they are most common):

battery both pins,
usb jack (this is really hard as it is very tiny)
if you have dropped it some while back it would most likely be the battery pins.
if not most likely the usb jack which you would need a pin point solder tip (i would go with 2 mm or less if available). The trick is not to use soldering stuff but just to heat them again and pressing it on the pins for a short time. use solder grease so you don't pick up any soldering and it stays where it should. if you have you can also use some colophonium in order to increase stability. but for now i would try reheating so it connects again.

if it doesn't work there is some other parts which could cause it but lets focus on these first.

I took a picture and circeled the ones!
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf...u3l1o1_500.jpg

Sorry mistyped above I meant 2mm

nik1105 01-26-2011 11:01 PM

If you have disassemled r0, probably somebody will make a disassemly guide, like for p3 http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=47251
I guess it will be interesting for community to take a look at r0 insides/

slade 01-31-2011 03:37 AM

Hey loris, any news? Did you manage to repair it. Would be nice to know so if somebody has the same problem they could look it up in this thread.

so far
slade

slade 01-31-2011 03:37 AM

Hey loris, any news? Did you manage to repair it. Would be nice to know so if somebody has the same problem they could look it up in this thread.

so far
slade

Loris 01-31-2011 11:34 AM

Hi guys, thank you for your interest. I'm going to fixing it (or trying at least :D) as soon as possible.

Don't worry, i'll post photos and a complete report!!

Thank you again!!

jogin 04-15-2011 04:54 AM

hi Loris, i wonder if you've succeeded fixing your R0. 'cause i am also experiencing the same problem. i got my r0 splashed with a chemical we used in the lab directly into the usb port. after that, it suddenly shows an charging animation though it's not plugged in.my netbook can't also recognize it, but i know it's charging the battery 'cause it heats up and able to use it.. i plan to open it, but it's only 6 months since i bought it. what do you think i should do?.
many thanks in advance.

afique13 07-14-2011 05:28 AM

Hai.

GUYS THX FOR THE HEAT ADVICE! I put my iron on top of my yp r0! then wala! mine were fixed! thx guys!

majestyc 07-18-2011 03:35 PM

So, heat is the solution? afique13 what did you do? could you show some pictures, video, or anything else?
Thanks