abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cowon J3 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Official ABI Cowon J3 Review (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59423)

dfkt 11-28-2010 05:00 PM

Official ABI Cowon J3 Review

http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/11/cowon-j3-review/

It's a damn novel, no wonder it took me that long... enjoy. :)

Marvin the Martian 11-28-2010 05:29 PM

And a fine read it was.

Adub 11-28-2010 05:54 PM

Indeed, well done.

Confispect 11-28-2010 06:19 PM

Could have sworn there was one of these already must have been reading invisible text. Gatta get my head checked, gatta get my head checked.

pgh1969pa 11-28-2010 06:23 PM

Nice review....tempting device. Does the MTP support suck with WMA files too or does it only screw up mp3 files?

dfkt 11-28-2010 06:25 PM

Sorry, no idea, I don't have a single WMA file.

deadohiosky 11-28-2010 06:31 PM

very good review, much appreciated. it took a little while ;) but i guess "gut ding will weile haben" (hope you austrian semi-teutons know that saying).

anyway, i got my player on saturday and am very very pleased and this review confirmed to me that (a year long of) pondering and patience aren't the worst virtues.

samueljesusfreak 11-28-2010 11:06 PM

This long-awaited review was posted less than 24 hours after I finally pulled the trigger on this player. I was waiting for your review for months, and finally after I give up, here it is. What a wonderful read it was(read it twice), and I can't wait until Tuesday comes and this player is in my hands! This will be my second Cowon PMP, my last being the D2, which is still beating after 3 and a half years, in the hands of my closest friend back home.

Go Cowon!

Churipapiau 11-29-2010 05:39 PM

Amazing review, dfkt, I'm definately buying this one for christmas!!

IDvsEGO 11-29-2010 06:56 PM

spot on from what I looked at. I love my J3. I also totally agree with your comment about a 4.7" version. I would snap it up in a minute.

lestatar 11-29-2010 08:39 PM

Bravo dfkt...You suck though - now I really must think hard about finally caving in and getting a dee-lux, big-boy PMP :D ;)

Great work as always :)

adibis 11-29-2010 11:13 PM

The review just seals my decision. Getting one asap.

ScaRaMooCH 11-30-2010 02:02 AM

Great read for anyone contemplating on a J3 , Wish I had been aware of the EU volume restriction on initial boot tho :( , Is there any way of fixing this other than a re-format ?

dfkt 11-30-2010 04:30 AM

Just delete the param.cfg file from the J3's system folder. That way the player gets reset to defaults, and you can choose "other/worldwide" at the next startup. Your files will stay on the player.

Maybe write down your favorite BBE/EQ settings first, because they will be gone too.

rohit3192 11-30-2010 12:40 PM

Though read as soon as released but didn't know that Martin is dfkt :rolleyes:
Good review.
It is indeed very revealing that Sansa clip+ sound match with EXPENSIVE Cowon J3 at volume matched settings (at Flat equalizers).
More reason to save money:D

dfkt 11-30-2010 01:01 PM

Most quality players sound the same when compared at the exact same volume, without any EQ or other sound enhancements. It's just that the Clip+ also measures pretty perfectly - but the differences between players are usually way too tiny to even notice with human ears.

With super-sensitive multi-armature IEMs it's a different story though, since there are indeed lots of players out there that crap out when trying to drive those, such as the SE530, SM3, UE11, and so on.

(I thought my "Vienna, Austria" location disclosure was good enough to connect it to my surname with all the umlauts. ;))

Resiak 11-30-2010 02:02 PM

Thanks for all that work! It helped even though I have had the J3 for about 4 months. I wonder if you know how to show lyrics. I have lyrics option on, added lyrics using iAudio LDB which told me it had been marked and indeed the lyrics show up when played by the LDB player. But on the J3 nothing happens. Am I missing something basic?

Future Tomorrow 12-01-2010 06:51 AM

@dfkt - awesome review man! If I didn't already own 2 you would have had me sold!

nodirectionhome 12-01-2010 07:53 AM

Great review - i want, but i'm gonna make do with the players i have atm.

manulm 12-02-2010 01:47 AM

Very nice review, the player deserves it.
I share the view on the audio quality which is really good.
I have a different view on the build quality. I have, and I read from other users, that the player has some corner lifting on the lower right corner of the screen. This is seriouly dissapointing. My D2 feels much stronger (while 4 yrs older).

I opened the player, and realized the build is actually nothing fantastic. Normal catchers, the metal frame around the screen is actually plastic and will turn white sooner or later.
Inside, there is a battery of 3.7V & 1120mAH. A Telechips Application processor, a Micron Flash, Hynix RAM, and wolfson 8960.