for anyone still wondering about the Zii Egg
Just so everyone is aware, to the perception of those who bought into this "development opportunity", ZiiLabs (Creative) have all but ceased working on this thing. The Plaszma updates seem to break functionality more than fix it, and the Android FW has not been updated in over six months. The employees of the company rarely if ever reply on the forum, and much of the GPL code has yet to be made available. Some of the hardware works, but with lots of stability issues. The thing eats battery power, max time with only music player and no other functionality turned on lasts roughly five hours. We have not seen anything close to an "Optimized" version of Android except for the Zii-Android logo at bootup. Currently, the functional quality of this device is at the level of a cheap Ipod touch knockoff. Bluetooth still not working, spotty wifi, spotty gps. Plaszma audio constantly skips (still no X-Fi in sight), Android is better but if the device goes to sleep while not playing the sound craps out completely and you have to reboot (which takes FOREVER). Also, "current" responses from the company on the site give the following perception of the future of this product:
- Will not go beyond Android 1.6
- No dual boot
- root access for plaszma but removes RMA possibility, no root enablement for android
- access to some GPL source but no way to actually manipulate these implementations
- not an open environment. you basically get a developer kit to make apps that won't work after each firmware upgrade. No access to the Android source for the device and no way to build your own modified OS.
- tons of bugs that will never be fixed in the time frame under which zii releases updates.
While the Egg advertises amazing versatility and power (which the hardware may actually provide) the development has basically stalled and more than half of the promised features have not been implemented. This device is not worth buying unless your intention is to purposely waste money.
It is pretty much a lost cause. I have waited a long time for this player and realized about 6 months ago that development has stopped/stalled. I would say focus more on other players coming out now that have similar functionalities. It's a shame of what Creative has become, the players they used to make were really good.
Shame! I was anxious to see this thing take off. Tbh, it seemed a littlemtoo late, and a little dated. Still, i would like to seemthis be the successor to the X-Fi 2, and have OS efficiency in the likes of Iphone. Creative have lost a lot of my respect in the past 3 months, but i do not think it's too late for them, just maybe need another president.
Seems like ziilabs/creative just released a new firmware for the ziiegg
Enhancements and Fixes:
- Upgrades the OS to Android 2.1 (Eclair).
- Supports Bluetooth™ wireless technology.
- Enables the front camera.
- Adds the enhanced Gallery application that enables HD video output.
- Modifies the Power button function so that Zii EGG goes on standby when this button is pressed.
The following features are optimized implementation on Android 2.1 for Zii EGG:
- Wi-Fi™ connection
- Bluetooth™ wireless technology
- Touchscreen interface
- OpenGL ES acceleration
- Media playback acceleration
- Integrated audio output
- Accelerometer support
- Power management
- HD video output
- GPS support
- Rear and front camera support
Hey, as my actual Mp3 Player from Creative stopped working, I made a short research and endet up here. There don't seem to be much informations about the Creative Zii, but if it seems like it's a great idea, but much stuff isn't working.
I wonder now if there's any release date of the customer edition of the Zii or any suggests about this date.
Don't bother. The hardware is now dated. About the same as a three year old iPhone. I don't see any indication there will be a retail version. The latest firmware of android for it is crippled by the lack of control buttons and no settings menu. There are some trick ways to add apps, but it is more trouble than it is worth.
Anyone that bought into this thing wasted his/her money a long time ago
This is yet another reason why I will NEVER get another creative product - period!!!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.|