abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creative (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Zen X-Fi Style (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56364)

BluLite99 07-20-2010 11:26 AM

Zen X-Fi Style

1 Attachment(s)
I have noticed that there is no thread for this latest (tied with the Zen Style) mp3 player from Creative. On a Google search of 'X-Fi Style Review,' the first five are all positive, only cons are the keys vs the wheel of an iPod Nano (yes this is being compared to Nanos), though they are all test players used purely for a review then sent back, I will be buying one for myself and as soon as it gets here I will post a review, probably August 3rd.
The buttons now match the Zen's setup and there is the Crystalizer and Expander to increase quality and length. No software is needed to transfer files due to an increased in the supported files types, including .flac4 files. I recommend getting the 32 gigabyte size if you will utilize this feature.
Downside is that it is not available in Canada, but you can send it to someone in the US and have them send it to you. I don't know about the UK.

Brett_val 07-20-2010 12:24 PM

Looking forward to your review! Do you also have other Zens to compare it with?
I wonder how they compare in sound quality.. I hope Creative will improve again at that.

blcistheking 08-02-2010 07:27 AM

any update?

BluLite99 08-08-2010 01:49 AM

Just got it, been playing with all day
please remember that I'm not professional and slightly biased towards Creative

BluLite99 08-08-2010 02:28 AM

It is awesome, when you open the box, the unit itself it quite small, but magically grows in size in a few hours. There is a slight delay in screen updates, such as you press the forward button to change songs, you will hear the songs change in the audio output, but there is are a few seconds of delay with the screen. The Visuals steps are as follows: play icon changes to stop, then to forward, then song title, album and artist are changed, centered in the screen; after that the album art shows on the left, making text left justify (if there is art).
Software is installed using an .exe file called setup.exe. This is just an installer for Centrale, Creativeís current file management software. On XP, it dealing with the driver software is fine, but Vista is annoying as ever. You donít have to use specific software, drop ní drop in My Computer works, due to the variety in files supported. The OS is the same as the Mozaic, but with colour in the icons. With the increased screen length, the top bar has changed, a little. On the left, there is the title of whichever menu/screen you are in, then the time. Whatever image is set as background will be displayed as the background in Now Playing, not the image for the theme.
Time for physical specs: basic mini USB port on player, with cord to adapt into USB 2.0*. On the top is the microphone and power/lock control. The power/lock control is nice; it is a signal button, not slider. Hold down to turn on/off, press once (while on) to lock, when locked, press again to turn on screen and a pop-up box will show, with the rest of the screen showing Now Playing, the box will ask you if you want to unlock the player. Default selection is No, press Up to go to Yes, and then Confirm to select and unlock the player. Depending on whether or not you have the silicon skins, your opinion of if this is good or not will change. With the Slider, my fingernails cut into the skin every time, and now it is breaking apart. Summed up, the design of it is much like the Zen MX, but with X-Fi, Crystalizer and awesome graphics on the front. And there is a speaker in a corner on the back.
Back to software because I have no order. Audio files supported are MP3, WMA (DRM9), WAV (IMA-ADPCM) Audible4, AAC, and FLAC. To my untrained ears, I donít notice any difference in sound quality, but it seems louder, so I canít give any info on the magic powers of Crystalizer. But I do understand logic and what the Wikipedia pages says makes sense to me.

BluLite99 08-08-2010 02:31 AM

Additional Notes::
My one other player is a Mozaic
Refereneces to other are from images on Creative's site
Once Again: NOT professtional
Once Again: Baised

if you want anything more, ask and I'll try to fullfill
use private messages or e-mail me: celtic_canadian@dublin.com

blcistheking 08-09-2010 12:07 PM

thanks for the review, if you could post some pictures it would be appreciated, no pressure though lol

rickysio 08-09-2010 12:10 PM

Or a budget Creative X-Fi, to be honest, given the UI appearance and name. Zen Vision's UI is less colourful.

How's the battery life?

glove4 08-09-2010 12:21 PM

I had one of these a few months ago right after they were released, liked it a lot. Anyone who liked the original Zen will like this the X-Fi Style better. The pictures of it online make it look like its the size of the X-Fi 2, which is not the case. It is almost exactly the same size as the Sansa Fuze, only it operates in a landscape mode versus portrait like the Fuze.

BluLite99 08-09-2010 12:43 PM

25 hours on music and 5 for video

BluLite99 08-13-2010 02:15 PM

I have removed the Dropbox link with my rapidshare download link
http://rapidshare.com/files/41589617...X-Fi_Style.rar

blcistheking asked for a comparison between the Style and Mozaic

The keys are in the same pattern. They are also lower to body then the Mozaic, and I tend to use my fingernails for the outside buttons. I upgraded to the Style and went for the 32gb version, from my 4gb.
If you aren't planning on using .flac files, and your Mozaic is in the same size as the Style you are looking at, keep the Mozaic

marshalldavout 03-21-2011 09:24 PM

hi guys,

Can anyone please confirm this for me?
Does the X-Fi style allow for the simultaneous viewing of photos and listening to music? Is it possible for me to view my stored photos while listening to music at the same time?

I already have the style 300, and it is not possible, the music pauses when you go to look at the photos. I just want to ask be sure with this one

Thanks in advance

dbpaddler 04-17-2011 09:49 AM

Just got mine. I owned an original zen. It was stolen, and I picked up an X-fi. Finally realized I can't stand those 9 little buttons, and when others need to use it, they get confused. So I picked up a 32gb Style. Funny thing is, I use it for a workout class, and it's one of the few big gig players (so wish it had microSD for videos and could use internal just for music) that will play a song once and stop, letting me press next and play for the next song to continue. I believe Cowon players do, but I didn't care for the D2 and wanted small.

I wasn't expecting it to be smaller than the X-fi & Zen. Really like the size. Like the familiar UI. It just came the other day so I haven't really used it yet. The speaker seems a little louder than the X-fi. Nothing to write home about still, but I use it to listen to my tracks while walking around and getting ready in the morning.

My only real complaint from the get go is there is no small leather case like there was for the zen/xfi series. Just silicone or some ugly pink leather flip case. These little players would really benefit from the snap on plastic cases actually. But I guess there's no market for one.

Other than that, it just seems like the next step in the zen series minus the card slot. I picked up a like new 32gb in black for $112 on Amazon. Wish they'd put bluetooth on these things so I could make use of my BT stereo connection at home and in the car. Trying to rid myself of 3.5 cables.

dbpaddler 05-19-2011 06:02 PM

Also, I used WMP when sycing my old 32gb Zen so all my playlists are in there. The Style would show up in WMP and supposedly sync, but the playlists showed up on the player empty. Ended up installing the Creative software and all the playlists showed up on there, and I was able to sync them to the Style through the Creative software. So now it's a two step process instead of one (creating in WMP and syncing with Creative).

tbb007 07-12-2011 05:09 PM

I'm basically happy with this one (I have the 32 gb version; it was a gift when my beloved rockboxed Sansa e280 gave up the ghost), but I have one question: is there ANY way to set the speaker's default mode to "off"? It's not always convenient to have it come on after you have plugged it in to charge, and it's kind of annoying to have to remember to always turn it off before you unplug the headphones.